"Server Closed Due to An Unexpected Error" in Competitive

During a competitive match, I got booted to the main menu screen after the message “The server closed due to an unexpected error.” popped up in chat. The “rejoin match” button was available, but did not work when I clicked it. I tried restarting my game a couple of times, but it still would not let me join back. That button continued to exist for ~5 minutes and then I was suspended from competitive play for 10 minutes.

Is there any way that I can rejoin a game that has booted me/others for this reason or is there anything to do to fix this? Thanks!

19 Likes

My friends and I got a similar error and we can no longer join queue.

2 Likes

i had the same thing happen, on PC

2 Likes

Just saw this happen to two people in my game (different teams). At some point they were finally able to get back in. They were still able to use match chat and they both said they couldn’t rejoin.

same thing just happened again!

Happened to me twice, second time I lost SR and was suspended for 10minutes, put in a ticket but they dont have a specific answer, told me not to que for comp for a while until its resolved IF its an issue on their side.
EDIT: Also told me a few programs I could remove that can cause connection issues. They were helpful but said they haven’t found an issue that might be causing these disconnects. Lost SR and suspensions cannot be refunded/removed either.

Its a Blizzard issue.

Happened to me twice today and got SR loss from it and suspension because of it.

Have practically never had a DC in my life.

Thank you everyone for your reports! We are aware of the “Server Closed Due to An Unexpected Error” and currently investigating the issue.

For the moment, there are no updates or information on the issue. We are tracking this thread, and will post any updates or further information when available.

4 Likes

Will we be compensated for lost SR? ive lost 100+ SR because of this

3 Likes

No. I was told in CS chat Lost SR cannot be returned and Suspensions are not able to be revoked.

This happened to me too, and I’ve seen it happening to other players in the Competitive matches I played. Lost 20 SR and got suspended for 10 min :frowning:

I was in a competition game and I was abruptly taken back to the title screen and a message that said “server closed due to unexpected error.” The Play selection was replaced with Rejoin Match and it wouldn’t let me select it. I quit the game and started it back up, but wouldn’t let me rejoin match. Instead, I’m being suspended for 10 minutes, lost 50 SR and went down an endorsement level. I shouldn’t be penalized for the game screwing up. I’m playing on Xbox.

literally the same thing happened, on PC

Happened to me on Xbox too send help bliz…

Almost everyone left on my team including me, but my brother didn’t leave even though he’s on the same Wi-Fi as me… Bliz plz help I lost 100 sr…

I had the exact same thing happen to me on PC!

This just happened to me too. Was in a competition game and I was abruptly taken back to the title screen and a message that said “server closed due to unexpected error.” The Play selection was replaced with Rejoin Match and it wouldn’t let me select it. I quit the game and started it back up, but wouldn’t let me rejoin match. Instead, I’m being suspended for 10 minutes, lost 50 SR and went down an endorsement level. I shouldn’t be penalized for the game screwing up. I’m playing on Xbox.

2 Likes

I’ll say it again
Don’t play competitive until they post something about this being fixed
You CANNOT get back lost SR or remove suspensions. EVEN if it’s on blizzard’s side.

Also got kicked. lost the game to get to plat because of this. what is blizzard doing about their fail on our part? besides saying oh well?

so ultimately, you are punishing players for something that is not in their control. Got it.

1 Like