Scrap Ironclad, return Bastions shield

Can you clarify that the devs have stated this was the sole reason and the only reason they have yet to bring it back?

Because I see problems even with only having a singular Bastion, such as setting up right in a corner on KOTH maps, especially at low level play.

Switching to counter isn’t unheard of.

And many many heroes, would counter that easily.

It’s not “messed up”.

Mercy trades her support abilities for marginal self defense.
Bastion trades vulnerability for the highest threat level in the game.

But this isn’t new ground, and has already been explained in the very thread.

1 Like

Bastion trades extreme vulnerability for less sustained dps than he has otherwise, and less of an ability to defend itself.

correction, *one requires more support than others. *

There is not a single other dps that requires support like that. Not even Sym.

1 Like

Anything that doesn’t oneshot is not the highest threat level. That’s why people are currently after Widow. You can’t cure death, but you can cure constant damage. well, except Mercy but that’s a 30 second cooldown for a single hero unless she was the one that died.

Yes there are counters, but just as Reaper has counters at the lowest level of play they still needed to nerf his healing.

Adding a shield is too much IMHO, unless they did something such as make it a weak shield (Maybe 500-600 HP) and also nerfed his health or damage.

I’m a firm believer in you cannot add or remove anything without compensation, and a buff like a personal shield is a HUGE buff. Personally I would prefer they did something else that made him less reliant without resorting to shields, even if it was another buff to how quickly he could get in and out of turret form so he could nope out of situations faster.

Not without a significant increase in shield piercing abilities in the game. It would make him far too powerful.

I’m fine with reworking Bastion, but not like this.

If you meant with the shield That’s what Junkrat is for. Either because you just straight up didn’t have to face it or you could shoot over the shield for direct hit damage. It’s just a funnel for him if he’s in a corner.

What about a lower shield health? Another potential is that it only regenerates in reconmode.

1 Like

The entire reword was a HUGE nerf, without compensation.
What are you talking about?

His spread was gutted, and has yet to be properly fixed, and on top of that a shield for a stationary target seems more logical, because… well… if you die to it, it’s mostly your own fault.

I would gladly take this.

In a heartbeat.

I have yet to speak about what has happened with Bastion. Just that I believe there should be compensation.

I have said many times on other threads, whether it be when they gutted Doomfist, gave Moira the random “Nope” button out of CC, etc that they should have added something to compensate for adding / removing things.

Just scrap the idea. We can do better. This suggestion would be far too oppressive.

Give him a new ability or something that increases his skill floor and ceiling.

Ironclad is unquestionably an overall nerf. They added a tiny bit that he was already lacking in recon and something he didn’t need in sentry then took way too much. Tank doesn’t get 150 armor. Tank doesn’t even get ironclad until after the full transformation. Bastion cannot headshot in sentry. Even after buffing spread it’s still just worse because of the time required to hit 2 degrees now.

they removed more than they added. It’s like inflating a deflated balloon a bit, then taking out twice as much. Now it’s just an even more deflated balloon.

Ive fought bastion plenty. Cant say Ive ever just practically walked up to him. Not without dying.

Not that I havent been able to deal with bastion. Again, I dont thin hes OP.

But “just walk up to him”?

Not so much.

You deal with bastion BY respecting him and what he can do. His damage potential is no joke and needs to be mitigated in order to deal with him, and often his team.

This is exactly why lower ranks tend to be the ones who have problems with bastion- Because they dont know how to respect his space, or lack the coordination necessary to combat it.

Now you can argue that once you DO respect his space, and coordiante to deal with him, that he cant deal with it. Which hey, sure (again, id agree. like ive said: I want buffs for bastion). But you absolutely have to “respect” him to get there in the first place.

No one? Really? Not even one :<?

Man

Right in the feels.

Matters as much as anything youve said kiddo.

Contributes just as much as what youve stated as well

The point is that there are some things that players will “choose” to be more frustrated by than others.

Bastion with a shield? Proooobably going to be one of them.

Its not that its un fun to switch heroes and counter your enemy (Granted for some it is. But id be digressing on that matter). But dealing with a bastion with a shield who is being protected by other heroes with a shield?

Ya- thatd be pretty unfun.

You mean beyond that itd be un fun, boring, and frustrating for the bulk of the playerbase?

Theres inherent issues with “protect the vip” play styles in a game like overwatch-

It places far too much value and emphasis on a single hero- And the devs didnt like the impact it had on the pace and feel of the game.

Stacking additional shields and protection methods in front of bastion when he has his own means of defense made it very difficult for the opposing team to actually get to the bastion. Much of the game boiled down to “get the bastion”.

It would often take multiple attempts to actually “get the bastion”. Sometimes not at all (Which was noted as being overly frustrating, because youre constantly dying to a single hero you just cant kill in this situation and it feels over whelming).

But when you did “get the bastion”, often the other team would crumble immediately in the following aftermath- And it sucked for that team, again, for multiple reasons. You put all your effort into keeping that ONE thing alive, and couldnt- And getting the opportunity to “set up” again might be difficult or impossible.

Theres just a lot wrong with it. The devs disliked it- a lot. and most players would as well.

Now if you want to sit and talk about things that REALLY dont matter?

This conversation doesnt matter.

Say WHATEVER you want. Say whatever you feel necessary in response to this, because i know nothing i say will change your mind on this topic, but it doesnt matter

You know why?

Because bastion isnt going to get a shield.

Tootles.

3 Likes

He would need to be more of a threat in Sentry, to do so.
Which isn’t allowed, apparently, because as long as you aren’t moving you aren’t allowed to get kills or it’s “Unfair”

Again, I have yet to talk about what has been done to Bastion in the past. I am speaking on the theoretical “If they added a frontal shield”

Well it’s important to remember that he’s a more deflated balloon now, we can afford to add some while either taking none or less depending on what the change is and how strong it is.

edit: by none or less I meant either take not as much or just nothing

So “extreme vulnerability” is the highest hp total in his category, with passive damage reduction, and a Crit box you can’t see from the front with the ability to output 450dps for 10 straight seconds (which you laughably suggest is less than the damage he can output in recon over the same period, it’s not, even with a 100% Crit rate).

Rrrriiiiiiight. :smirk:

It sounds like you want to play a different style of hero.
The good news is Overwatch has those too.