Schools in Overwatch

What do you think is the average level of education in the world of Overwatch?

Ow plays in the future of our world. Do you think their children are several classes ahead or ours?
What about adults? How “educated” are Doomfist and Roadhog for example?
Might they be able to casually discuss our scientific topics because it is common knowledge for them?
Like “well cancer was a problem until it was discovered that… by… in year…who proposed that…in contrast to common believe”

5 Likes

Doomfist has an extreme amount of education, if you go by his vocabulary. But literacy and education are two different things. He could be very literate in english but he isn’t educated enough.

Roadhog is a farmer so IDK about him maybe agro school

4 Likes

Doomfist is from a wealthy family that owns their own cybernetics business. He probably went to college and got a degree in business - he’s very intelligent and a natural leader and he brought his skills over to Talon.

I don’t think the heroes with military background went to college - like Soldier 76, Reaper, Ana, Reinhardt, Pharah, Zarya - they all seem like they enlisted as soon as they reached the legal age.

Torb and Brigitte (as well as Ingrid) have engineering degrees.

Hanzo probably went to college to study business too, I bet Genji did too but either didn’t finish or got “killed” during his studies

I don’t think McCree or Ashe finished school tbh… maybe Ashe did but McCree probably didn’t

All the scientist heroes have Ph.D’s (Mei, Mercy, Moira, Sigma) I’m not sure about Winston though? He probably has the education equivalent for monkeys lol

Overall I think college would have become normalized and even a necessity by the year 2076 for every career that wasn’t fighting in the military against Omnics seeing as it would be hard to compete with Omnics for most jobs as Omnics can work harder, more efficiently and for less than humans.

5 Likes

I am assuming a 100% literacy rate but not the same for education rate. Because everyone doesn’t have a ‘baseline’ education and the scientists still rule the roost.

1 Like

Yes if you read my post I said I don’t think the military heroes (and, adding this but also the Junkers and Omnics) went to college.

Torb and Ingrid yes, but Brigitte seems to just be taught by Torb.

Doesnt pharah have an engineer’s ring on her pinky in the Reflections comic where shes eating with Sam? (The talk of enginwers reminded me)

So even though she’s military she probably has some schooling.
Also! In the military after basic you go on to learn your military job (or officer school) so even the military characters have ““knowledge”” and all that

So I’m pretty sure the only one without a “formal” education is Rat, on account of, yanno, everything blowing up 'n all that

3 Likes

It’s just a pinky ring. Someone asked Chu if it was a Canadian engineer’s iron ring, and he said no.

2 Likes

Boooooo thats such a weird detail to add in then, well it may be retconned at some point lol
I mean it’d make sense due to her armor and keen interest in it based on her interaction with Torb

2 Likes

It could be her father’s that he gave to her - I mean, do engineers count as public servants? - , or have some other meaning that we haven’t figured out yet. It seems too prominent in the photo to mean nothing

I’m almost positive that the picture he looks at in the recall short (with some characters in the orange jumpsuits) was Winston’s graduation. Whether it be from school or something overwatch related I don’t know.

1 Like

Oh he answered that question? I didn’t know that! Where/when was that??

2 Likes

Overall, I would say that pre-crisis education should at least be good or higher than present. It wasn’t until the Omnic Crisis where the world turned to hell. Anyone in their 40s or older would have grown up with, at the very least, a high school education.

For those in their 30s… We have a lot of cultured or scientific characters like Widow, Mercy, Mei, and Hanzo. I would think only McCree and maybe Ashe are less educated, and that’s more from delinquency than anything.

For those born post-crisis… A lot of them seemed to be well off. I would think only ones who grew up in questionable or destitute environments were Sym, Junkrat, Lucio, and Zarya. Sym was pulled out of poverty and into Vishkar education, Lucio’s father was a scientist, Junkrat is a borderline mad scientist, which leaves the poem-citing Zarya. I wouldn’t say she is uneducated either, just raised in a village that was destroyed by omnics. Post-crisis, I would think her education went back on track, but I have nothing to show for it other than her knowing a lot of famous quotes.

4 Likes

I’d like to think that education would have improved across the board world wide, but the cast are all outliers from the average population, so they might not be the best examples.

2 Likes

That’s the thing… I can imagine that a child from OW knows how to use some futuristic device or what hardlight is.
But I still doubt they would know how it exactly works. Like… I don’t even reaaally know how a fridge works. I have a basic idea…

I just wondered if children (from the world of OW) learn in the 4th class what we learn in the 12th for example. But on the other hand those 2 from the cinematic looked like normal children to me. And Ow does not play too far in the future…

1 Like

Schools curriculum changes over time and every country has their own too.

With science development some content is taken out or changed. For example: we still teach Newton’s mechanics in schools, even though Einstein’s theoreries are the “correct” ones. Teachers in many places think its time to introduce more modern subjects into schools, so I could see in the ow universe kids being taught quantum mechanics, robotics or how AIs are developed.

Politicians also like to unresponsably meddle with schools’ curriculum. Taking away important subjects that help kids develop their critical thinking skills, like philosophy, art and music.

1 Like

Was newton wrong? His laws govern the big world, where einstein focused more on the small world, particles and such

It’s not that Newton was wrong, it just that his theories are shown to be “incomplete”( like you, said it’s applied to specific scenarios).
I guess i didn’t express myself well in my last post.

2 Likes

Fair enough, though to expect a single theory to cover everything is a bit silly, the universe is complex, you cant make ot simple