Role Queue vs. Open Queue

I think RQ is good for players that aren’t very good at this game, as it gives them some sort of structure. Back before RQ was introduced, I never had all this “craziness” that I kept hearing about on the forums, but I was in the higher ranks. In fact, you couldn’t lock 6 DPS teams and get to the higher ranks, so you never saw them. But I feel like for the lower ranks, which is the majority of the player base, it’s a good thing.

So I’d say just keep both. And good players can keep playing OQ, and let the newbs that need hand holding stick with RQ.

It’s quite clear by looking at the t500 for OQ what the community as a whole prefers.

3 Likes

I would guess this is because lots of players use “while you wait” to play DM during queues, not because people queue up for DM specifically. If you’re playing DPS-only you might even spend more time queueing (and in DM) than in an actual match.

1 Like

Really? I’m a tank main who sometimes dabbles in support. I almost never wait more than a minute, two tops for role queue.

Problem with doing any kind of realistic poll after so long, as most of the people still playing this stagnant game MUST like role queue or they are long gone by now.

Asking now is like McDonald’s removing chicken nuggets from the menu, then 2 years later doing an in-store survey if they miss chicken nuggets. The majority of people still going there for burgers probably don’t miss or are at least indifferent that chicken nuggets are no longer an option.

2 Likes

I don’t really think it makes sense to ask people who left, many people leave for various reasons. It’s more interesting to me to know what people who still play it feel about the game.

From the replies in the different places I have posted I have alse seen people comment that they were initially against it but over time started to prefer it.

Up to five hundred votes cast now! Nice. I was expecting to see more along the lines of 60% to 75% in favour of RQ; I’ve only got my faulty memory to go on, but that’s what previous polls have been (I think). But this one’s holding steady above 80% now.

1 Like

Definitely got a lot more participants that I expected. Was hoping for at least 100 but this is great.

1 Like

One trillion % this.

Really? You dont think its relevant to ask those who have left the game, even though they are, by far, MILLIONS more than the ones that are actually playing the game, specially considering that the one big change that might have lead to them leaving IS specifically Role queue?
And the survey is specifically about Role Queue vs Open Queue? Which is literally how the game used to be vs the game now?

Ok dude :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Only reason I’d want oq removed is if we were facing player number issues and needed to decrease modes.

Do you have anything to support the claim? Every game falls off over time, OW used to be more popular that LoL for a short period of time. Nothing is to say that the introduction of 222 caused a massive amount of players to leave. It’s pure speculation, who’s not to say that Brig and GOATs didn’t make people leave? Damage heroes were not played during that time and considering that the damage players make out the largest group of the playerbase it seems more of a likely reason for them to leave.

Furthermore it’s unreasonable to expect anyone, even blizzard to get into contact with people who left the game to answer a poll. Based on my poll I can conclude that the current playerbase definitely prefers role queue.

To even out at a 50% the expectation is that 35% left the game due to RQ, which seems incredibly unlikely to me and even at that point changing the format wouldn’t even make sense as you’d want it to be a bigger majority.

1 Like

I am not the one specifically making a poll about the subject mate, what amazes me is that you seem to have zero interest in specifically gathering information about the subject.

Its exactly like the post Remedy made. Also gathering the reasons why your playerbase is leaving is KEY for game developers to adjust the game.

Nothing? Because there werent a HUGE amount of posts against RQ in late 2018 and early 2019 right? … oh wait, there were :thinking:
Also GOATS outside GM was a “LUL” comp. You saw it maybe once in a while for a few minutes and then when the enemy picked bunker (which has 2 DPS) it fell appart.
Outside ultra hardcore meta slaves (GM and T500) GOATS was nowhere to be seen.

They dont have to, they have the forums mate.
Also many games throw ingame surveys to their players, its not like a weird thing to do.

Based on your poll, you can conclude nothing really. Its an absurd low amount of players compared even to the concurrent ones and if we compare to the number of accounts sold, even less. For anything else, re-read:

PS: If you claim it has no relevance, you are clearly way way way way way off about how survey works and their intended audience.

1 Like

The subject I made a poll about is what the current playerbase prefers, not what previous players prefered. It works for the intended purpose, if you want to know what people who left think you can do that yourself.

Are you exclusively looking at forum posts that’s notorious for being spammed by a few people talking about the same thing as the baseline for your argument? Did you look at reddit as well?

Exclusively looking at the forums also doesn’t show any clear picture of what the community sentiment is on topics either, the forums complains about things that aren’t complained about anywhere else.

False, with polls you don’t see people asking every single individual who’d be relevant to ask, you find a group of people with a relevant size. Sure, 500 isn’t comparable to the millions however, this poll has participants from multiple different sub parts of the community and it shows a clear picture which is that the current playerbase (at least the English speaking part) definitely prefers RQ.

If there are anyone who for whatever reason thinks that secretly the active playerbase prefers OQ then they are wrong as that’s what the poll shows.

2 Likes

I also have another survey with 468 responses, this was april 2020, back when “there were more anti 222 posts”. 8.8% didnt like the addition of role q

2 Likes

Do you still have the poll somewhere?

1 Like

Sure, here you go
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oqty5WSUNbxz7d9uwz9j0dtcjtR_yqrVO6ESLjms6zQ/closedform

2 Likes

That might be your intention but the way you published and the wording on the question suggestst not such a thing or those restrictions. In fact theres nothing mentioning that you have to be a concurrent player to answer the poll etc, so yeah nah.

Yes I did, same.

Again you have A LOT of room for improvement in regards of surveys and how they work. As you mentioned is not even comparable so the poll is not a “fact” or nothing of enough weight to substantiate any claim.
Hell, it would not even be representative of the NA playerbase, so not going to even mention EU and KR.

They arent though, you are just using a skewed survey that is biased and timely made to left out a HUGE chunk of the affected population.
if you want to use it to give you a sensation of being right and virtue signal like everyone who thinks the opposite is wrong, live your dream but thats what it is.
Just a dream/opinion.

Again: Popular does NOT equal better. Those are different concepts.

Since the validity of said poll is null, this ends here :wave:

1 Like

Blizzard is like main stream media. They can post anything and we the consumer have no way of knowing for sure if they are using smoke and mirrors. The old look over here so you don’t know the actual truth.

The discussion of Role Queue vs Open Queue is more stupid than Playstation vs Xbox. Open queue exists. Role queue exists. Play the one you like without shoving it in others’ throat.

2 Likes

Even if it doesn’t specify that you have to be a concurrent player, the source of error you suggest with the poll is that there are enough innactive people, who frequent the OW related websites and discords 2 years after the change was made, to skew the results in away that invalidates the poll. That in itself is absurd.

Then there’s your previous claim that many people left because of 222 but if those are the innactives who supposedly votes as well then that only works against your argument as that would inflate percentage of people who want to revert back to OQ.

This is by no means a close count, this is a bloody landslide and the people who voted come from different sub communities to avoid the bias only polling a single sub community would have. As of this post 84.20% to 15.80. You’d have to be in massive denial to think that it doesn’t hold some truth to it.

Can you then dig up some of those posts so we can see the ratios on likes to dislikes etc?

Of course it has flaws but again, the results are way too one sided to ignore them. The poll was posted in NA and EU communities, I have no means of telling how many of the participants are from which region but that’s the best I can do with what I have available. But again, the numbers speak for themselves, even the post by Jeff a while back showed that NA and EU had similar tendencies.

Again when people do pre polls for elections they don’t actually ask every single person in a state or country, they ask a (by comparison) a small group of random people, as long as it is random and not based on any discrimination then the polls are valid. 500+ from different sub communities within the larger community have clearly shown that they prefer RQ.

Mate the fantasy here is the thought that this poll in no way has any truth to it, it’s tinfoil hat teritory to even suggest that the it’s so wrong that it would be the otherway around.

If something is popular it is so for a reason, often times because it’s the better product. It could also be marketing but when both are easily available and people still choose one over the other, not considering that it might be better is mental.

The validity of the poll stands, you are just blinded by your denial. Do you need a guide on how to make tinfoil hats or do you think you can manage on your own?

There are people who want to change the game based on the theory that OQ is the most popular format, this is simply to show them that they are wrong and that it’s apparently not even close.

3 Likes