Role Queue vs. Open Queue

Idk if its different in other regions, I play on european servers. Support or anything, which isn’t just tank solo or tank duo always takes over 5 minutes. Which is annoying, as open queue is so fast

1 Like

It’s only anecdotal evidence, but RQ Comp (solo) support usually takes around five to ten minutes for me, too. I’m also on EU.

1 Like

Role queue I suppose as it represents the status quo

1 Like

I think rq should be kept around. For those who want to play it. Same goes for open queue. Not too fussed about which one is the “official” mode Or which mode 0WL plays as I don’t really watch it much

3 Likes

RoleQ top 500 - 4300
OpenQ top 500 - 3400

So why you need this poll? Answer is stupidly obvious

2 Likes

What do I answer if my issue isn’t with RQ but with being 222 locked??

I think 222 is just a flawed “solution” (hard to be a solution when you’re not actually addressing problem) to games issues

2 Likes

I’d say OQ, lock is an important part of Role Q.

1 Like

Everytime i play RQ (plat support) the games are incredibly unbalanced (player skill) and unfun. Youre also set in your role, 1 fail dps and your game is over since you cant replace him.
The ones who insist on 2/2/2 are usual incapable, as your need more brain to make other strats work than the old boring stale meta. 2/2/2 might be good for top500 because you need to play at max, but even there 2/2/2 seems just restrictive and boring. Big factor why the game lost so many players.
Maximum you def. need is 1 heal. 6 DPS also almost never happens in OQ.

2 Likes

Do you have anything to support this claim? I see this a lot but it just seems to be a made up fact to support a claim.

3 Likes

heres what ill say playing both…

much like before it existed…i just dont get why there is/was a need for it…the vast majority…and i do mean vast majority (upwards of 95% of the time - ive actually logged games on here that show this) of my OQ/QPC games are 222…and when theyre not theyre almost always 132…

so basically the POINT of RQ just based entirely on the actual experience ive had playing both…is to sit in a queue…cause i can the same exact experience pretty much…instantly (cause the queue time is always less than a minute)…by selecting OQ/QPC

so its not that its bad…or even really a preference thing…its just kinda pointless the way things end up playing out

1 Like

Got 114 ppl in friendslist and I see max 1 other guy playing OW every now and then. My closer play group and myself included stopped the moment RQ was implemented. I still play occasionally.

If you see 10+ min DPS queues and instant for Tank/Heal, you know your experiment has failed. Its not designed this way, therefore nobody wants to play it and just want some fun as DPS.

If competitive OW (aka RQ) was so popular, why do they focus so much on PvE with OW2? Because its not popular/fun enough. The hero roster and design simply does not support 2/2/2 and thats why the queue times are horrendous for DPS. 10 min queue for a 10-20 min game?

1 Like

IMO OQ only worked because there was a minority of players who were willing to Flex and be selfless for the majority who didn’t care about swapping for others, basically babysitting for stubborn (mostly) DPS players.

The game is now 4 years old, it’s very common for people to stop playing the game over time. I doubt that all those people on your friendslist stopped playing simply because of RQ when QPC was available and OQ ranked also was added shortly after.

If they don’t like the queue times they could simply have simply not played RQ.

Because OW is an IP that has so much potential, people want PvE, people want movies, people want an animated series, people want comics etc. It’s about delivering on something that there’s a big demand for. People love the story/lore and have been begging for more ever since the game came out because of the cinematics and characters.
That has nothing to do with PvP becoming less popular, it has everything to do with people wanting more Overwatch, something the DEVs have not been able to deliver.

3 Likes

Doesn’t change the fact that queue times are horrible for DPS, aka 2/2/2 doesn’t work - is not what the game is designed for - since nobody wants to play the other roles. Also not being able to swap between roles only hinders creativity and strategy, as well as fun. Theres no argueing about that. If you go 1 step further and say heroes are now locked you can see how broken this kind of system is.
Role lock is simply a softer form of hero lock.
If your 2 dps aint good enough to counter phara mercy, a simple solution would be to go on a 3rd hitscan. Thats a solution, another strategy. Less heal / Tank, but if your team can manage that in order to take down their phara/mercy which dominate the game then it should happen. But its not and suddenly your match is ruined and you go back in queue.
Again: The hero roster is not designed for 2/2/2, which is why we have so many problems today.

2 Likes

The fact that it is the most popular version of the game, as of this post 83.01% prefer it, shows that it does work. People are willing to spend more time queuing for a game if they get what they believe is a better game experience.

5 Likes

People are not willing. They play RQ because the mindset in the community is RQ = only real competetive mode, since pros only play that.
If people were so willing, we wouldn’t have such discrepancy in queue times. OQ = Instant, RQ DPS = 10+ min.
Also theres obv some DPS who prefer to be babysit like i already said. Every DPS wants a mercy pocket and 2 tanks in front so he can make the plays of the game.

The best compromise would be 1/3/2 or 1/4/1 (1/3/1/open). Though this still has the problem of being stuck in your role and speaks completely against what overwatch was meant to be. Being able to switch between ALL heroes.

The poll is based on preference and people prefer RQ, it’s that simple. Doesn’t matter why they prefer it.

3 Likes

I already told you why your poll is pointless.

You gave me your opinion on it, it’s not a fact. My opinion is that people play it because they actually prefer having a more consistent experience where they can choose what role to play before every match rather than fight for it or being expected to swap off it.

If there’s something that makes my poll pointless, what you suggested aint it.

4 Likes

Ever stop to think that this could be due to not being as active as RQ? Just a thought.

Yep. I would GLADLY wait for a good game then get immediate games into complete random here-ya-go luck games.

But as I mentioned above, if the RQ games are way more popular, they will be busy. Being busier means longer wait times. Not really a hard thing to figure out.

Data from these polls and how the game plays sorta support that. But that’s ok. It doesn’t fit your narrative, so dismiss it if you like.

Game on.

2 Likes

As I have already said, these are more popular because “pros” play them and therefore they are meant to be the only “real” comp mode.
But keep denying the mode has no problems with 10+ min queue times. And this is the last time i say it: The game is not designed for 2/2/2 and has been said over and over in this forum. If they truly wanted to make 2/2/2 work they would’ve had to make far more balancing/rework changes and more heroes in the roster.
They didn’t. And now we have the problems.
Maybe you’ll wake up when queue times go higher.

Its also funny how you always seem to think that OQ is 6 dps insta lock and pure luck. Most games I’ve played are a mix of 2/2/2, 1/3/2, 1/4/1, 2/3/1. And more often have we won games with a non 2/2/2 team vs a full 2/2/2 team.
As i said, the only ones that prefer 2/2/2 “oh yea queue times so fun!” are the ones that cant adapt, create new strategies or not be dependant on 24/7 babysitting.

End of the line.

1 Like