Role Queue vs. Open Queue

the opposite is also true

many forum members have spoken of their regret for enthusiastically supporting - even demanding - 222 originally and now prefer role-less queue after experiencing 222

I have yet to see anyone make such a statement

1 Like

you would think if 222 was so unpopular it would get reverted because devs have access to all this information

Really though I have seen no such data which shows the game to have more open q supporters, let alone even close to the 50/50 margin.

2 Likes

just for clarification’s sake, this Megadodo

1] does not see the first statement as a fact, and ergo does not agree with it
2] does not see 222 as the best way to play the game. More to the point, I find that 222 was and still is THE single worst change ever made to the game, with no close second

1 Like

Well, just know your poll is the definition of a biased poll. It’s like taking a survey of regulars at a restaurant if they like the food. Of course they do, they are already there. The ones who don’t are at a different restaurant and their voice of why they chose something else will never be heard in such a format.

1 Like

There was more than one thread in just the past few weeks claiming that the Role Queue has failed, in one way or another, and calling for its complete removal in favor of leaving the Open Queue as the only way to play Overwatch.

Which is fine when it is to disprove the fantasy that the people who visit the restaurant for some reason don’t like it.

First part. You say the opposite is also true, however you fail to provide any data.
Unlike you I went through the effort to do so, yet I’m not surprised that you aren’t considering it valid to protect yourself from the reality.

2 years after the change was made 85% of the people polled prefer the current status quo. As in RQ is the official mode but those who want to play OQ still can do so but with the knowledge that balancing is made towards RQ.

Another survey made by the user Yourself from last year, 1 year after RQ was implemented, shows that only 8% were actively against RQ. (I linked that poll in the OP).

We have proven that the playerbase prefers RQ and that it is the most played because of that.
Even if you for whatever reason don’t believe that, you can use the in game leaderboards to see what SR top 500 starts at. For OQ it’s much lower implying that less people play it for it to be like that.

Now if you want to make the claim that in the year it was implemented or in the discussions leading up to it, that the majority favored OQ and those people supposedly left the it’s on you to prove it. Because i see no valid data to support it, while the data that Yourself and I have collected as well as the in game leaderboards suggests, the players clearly prefer RQ and it’s not even close.

At this point untill you provide any form of data and not just speculation, theories and opinions I’m not going to respond to you because it wouldn’t be an intelligent conversation and I’d have no reason to take anything you say seriously.

Incase if you didn’t notice you and Hulk inspired me to collect this data in the first place.

The majority didn’t enjoy OQ which lead to the discussion about RQ which later caused the implementation of it. The majority demanded it and the majority still likes it now after 2 years. The efforts to improving it has not gone to waste, it has only improven the format by reducing the main problem that some have with it, which is queue times.

As long as the majority prefers RQ, Blizzard will have no reason to remove it.

Have a nice day and to repeat myself, unless you are going to back your claims with data don’t bother responding because at that point you are not worth paying attention to, keep your tinfoil hats to yourself.

1 Like

Once again, I must say that I am in agreement here. I believe that there is, at this point, tons of data from various threads, polls, and even from Jeff himself showing (and proving) that Role Queue is simply the preferred way to play the game. Once more I am glad that the devs made that decision. I strongly believe that Role Queue is the best change made to the game in a long time, and am very happy that it is here to stay.

I do not play 222 much at all, as I vastly prefer role-less queue mode games

…however…

I can see the many severe problems with 222 even in just those few matches I engage in

I can see the many severe problems with 222 expressed by others on these forums and other internet discussion media

I can see some of the many severe problems based purely on how certain similar things work similarly…for example, the excessive queing times when you force roughly two thirds of your customer base into one queue while the other third has two queues to work with. This is known as a bottleneck, and is a common problem in the world in general, not confined solely to 222

I agree with this statement 100% (I havent looked at your survey’s results but I will accept that you are stating the actual numbers or thereabout)

…but…

the survey has multiple flaws that make it invalid towards supporting the claim that 222 is more popular. For example, it is possible for the same individual to vote more than once…I confirmed this myself. One person could have voted a dozen, a hundred, a thousand times or more had they wished to do so. Mind you, this is just one example of the many flaws this survey has in regards to supporting the claim that was made

this is also 100% true

…however…

the game modes are not equivalent in multiple ways

Those who prefer role-less queue modes have expressed a desire to have the two modes as side by side equivalents, queuing differences aside. I suspect you will see complaints greatly reduced when and if this ever occurs

I looked at this survey at the time it was running, and it too has similar flaws to the flaws in your survey. As such, it too is an invalid source of data to support the claim that was made

I don’t see either of these as proven, for reasons detailed above

Given that there are other reasons aside the one stated above for this to be true, I do not see this as supporting the claim that was made either

I have made no such claim

That said, there are (or were) many forum users (and members of other internet discussion media) who declared they were quitting OW due to the addition of 222

Given the flaws in the survey methodology, I dont see that this claim is supported by either named survey, whether clearly or not

If thats the case, I don’t understand why one would write the post i am responding to. Any post on these forums implicitly invites response

I won’t respond to the ad hominem part of the statement quoted above

Tho I can’t speak for Hulx, I am sorry that you went to all that effort for the two of us

not at all

222 went into the game due to ticket sales issues in OWL

It coulda/shoulda have been implemented for OWL only, but instead it was inflicted upon all of us

as stated throughout my responses above, I don’t see any valid data to support this claim

the bribes were and are a bandaid that causes many problems for the game

the fast passes essentially allows for line jumpers. Does anyone in real life like seeing line jumpers? This isnt a solution, it is another bandaid, one that forces others behind the line jumper to wait even longer than they already are

given the enormous amount of time/effort/resources/money Blizzard has poured into trying (unsuccessfully) to ameliorate the problems with 222, there may well come a point where someone in authority says enough is enough. At that time, there is a decent chance 222 will be removed from the game, regardless of the outcry from those who prefer the stale metas, selfish play, and inflexibility of 222

Every post one makes can be replied to by any forum member at any time. It is the individual’s right to decide whether or not to reply, not the individual who writes the post being responded to

That said, I recommend against further ad hominem

1 Like

Update:

I would love to see an English Battlenet/ingame poll too.

1 Like

That is korean, We already know they like open q more than most other regions.
Here’s some real data from blizzard:
https://imgur.com/DAd9zXT
Only Korea comes close, but still far behind.

Still, I tried playing open q today. Rofl, What a joke. The q times are abysmal because no ones plays the mode.

1 Like

Yep. That’s the most competitive region and probably the most valuable to blizzard and the OW esports scene

the image you linked shows RQ being played more. You also have the top 500 leaderboard. Just goes to show that usage does not equal preference. Devoted competitive players are obviously incentivised to play the game mode that the game is balanced around and played in the pro scene

But even if we take that single day usage from when it was in the arcade and extrapolate that to claim that RQ is more preferred then given the recent poll results you might say that there is an upward trend in popularity back to open which in itself is extremely interesting and enlightening

I keep seeing this, and I never have this problem. My region is NA for context.

1 Like

It’s maybe because I’m in oceania but I waited over an hour for open q comp and never got a game. I literally just stopped trying in the end.

You think 2 regions less important than 1?

Yes exactly.

What more do you want at this point? You’ve got open q right next to the comp selection, what more could you want? Because I’ll tell you right now, They ain’t deleting role q. It’s too liked because a lot of people hated being forced onto solo tank and not having a proper sr per role.

2 Likes

From a single day when it had only just been introduced again a few days prior and when it was in the arcade. But even if we take that as gospel it suggests an upward trend in juxtaposition with the poll results

I’ve had this conversation with robotwizard before but the fact that you are in Oceana doesn’t really prove that it’s dead. Q times are really fast for me here in the EU

1 Like

what?

can you explain this part further?

Before 5v5 I would have voted for Open Queue, but after 5v5 I feel like problems with Role Queue will be better addressed.

It doesn’t change that it shows that people who participate in English forums have prefer RQ by a longshot. Like Yourself said, we already knew that Koreans prefer OQ for various reasons, some of which are cultural, so there’s no surprise here.

By your standards the Korean poll is just as flawed as it literally only asks people from a single country and unless we get an English poll + more then the Korean polls should just as easily be dismissed.

People who prefer OQ to RQ either forgot about all the times someone on tank or support would throw a game late by locking Torb/Sym/Bastion and wandering the map because they got mad, or they were that guy.

Overwatch is a global game.

We actually didn’t know this.

You also gave absolutely no hint of this in any of your previous statements:

Also:

I think the best method would be to ask people in the game itself.

I would also love to see polls for EU specifically.

Absolutely. The data is flawed and/or incomplete. No question about that.

Hopefully though you will stop making definitive statements like you did previously.

1 Like

Yes we did, we had the stats Jeff showed us that showed that OQ was more popular in Korea, however people kept dismissing that mainly because it showed that mostly everyone else prefered RQ. And as we can see that tendency has not changed.

Yet you seem more positive about this poll, likely because the results favor you.

Pointing out the hypocrisy isn’t being defensive. The bias is clear as day.

1 Like