Role Queue Compromise

I’ve always wanted seperate SR for each of my heroes, it feels like the higher you climb the less you can enjoy the heroes you’re not to particularly good at since you know… Their the heroes you’re bad at lol.

1 Like

Seems like it should, at least for Quickplay. Comp I’m not certain if it should have both options.

9 Likes

I rather have a ban system then a role queue system.

2 Likes

7 minute wait times…

Okay.

Why not just set it up so that the group finder is the only way to queue for comp match’s and this way people can set they number of roles and what not, on top of that people can get a a look at the group to see if they like it, if not can leave and not get hurt by it and the others in group can find another.

Like lots of other people here are saying - thanks to you and other devs for communicating more about what things are being addressed and what is being changed.
I really like the approach with this recent ptr, lots of smaller changes instead of giant ones - and changes made with feedback! That’s very encouraging to see.
There are a lot of challenges with role queue, but I’m glad that you guys are considering both the positives and negatives carefully. Good luck with everything!

Only ban one hero for all games : Brigitte.
How to promote a scapegoat hero.

1 Like

This wont solve the problem.

People keep trying to come up with dictatorship rules to force people to play something they do not want to play. This is the problem with this whole thing.

5 Likes

Because that’s not automated enough, and because all the many options basically fracture the player population into many groups the don’t queue with each other.

I think this is what people actually want:

1 Like

Its way better than it is now. I personally suck at tank, but i might end up on a team where nobody wants or is good at playing tank. So my choice is to either play tank and most likely lose, because i suck at them, or i dont play tank and we lose because we have no tank and everyone is blaming each other for not picking tank.

2 Likes

2-2-2 isn’t going to turn that loss into a win. I’m sorry, but that’s the brutal truth, it won’t win you more matches.

1 Like

It will improve the gameplay experience though, because you dont get the feeling you lost at the hero select screen.

1 Like

It’s basically a mathematical “game theory” problem, similar to the tragedy of the commons.

So you want someone else to tell you what role to play and when you can play and how to play, as far as fracture hhmm no I do not think so, because have you play a match where there are only 2 people making call out and all others have turned off comms.
I see it as something that would help the player base because then they would how and what others are looking for in their matchs.

Would it be practical to add a “hero queue”, potentially to the lfg system? Instead of the current system of defining roles within a group, players seeking a group could pick 2 or 3 heroes (ex Zarya, Ana, Soldier) and group leaders could potentially see a pool of players, based on the heroes they would like to play and if possible, their current SR or even mmr if done behind the scenes.

One of the problems with the current lfg system is a sort of scrambling to inspect player’s profiles and determine who they play. Even if they are locking a defined tank spot, they may play primarily Zarya when the group already has a main off tank.

I think it would be a cool way to queue as the hero you actually want to play and hopefully some neat comps could be formed by group leaders who are looking for specific heroes.

I think you’re misunderstanding about what I mean, that groups with rulesets for their LFG group won’t queue with each other, which splinters the population and increases queue times.

That will still happen when you get two off-tanks, or two DPS who can’t hit Pharah, or 2 DPS-Supports.

The overwhelming majority of my matches are run 2-2-2, most people from Gold upwards understand that, and players understand the need to adapt and learn different roles.

2-2-2 doesn’t fix any of the problems in those matches, and just reinforces people into the ‘DPS main’ mindset which is absolutely horrible for the game. If something is going wrong, as a Tank or Support, what do we have? 4 other heroes to pick from to try to put things right? It’s not enough.

Let’s remember the main counters to GOATS and to Dive, have been 2-3-1 and 1-3-2 compositions. It won’t even do anything to fix metas from becoming overbearing. It just limits ways of trying to break them up.

It won’t do what you think it will do.

1 Like

They didn’t even think “mains” were going to be a thing. They hoped people would use niche heroes within their niche.

People didn’t do that and now they have to figure out a way to make every hero always viable because 1 tricks and mains sort of ruin it for the rest.

So, in short, the only reason these heroes have been reworked is because of the people who main and 1 trick them…

1 Like

One idea that I’ve had is a sort of “rival queue”, where instead of locking anybody into a role or forcing any sort of meta, the matchmaker simply tries to find a player who plays similar roles as you, a “rival”, and puts them on the enemy team. It wouldn’t care about the roles of other people on the team, just between you and your rival.

My thought is that imbalance happens not just when somebody is playing a role that they’re not good at, but when one team has a bunch of people on their “mains” in a semi-decent team comp, and the other team either has people stubbornly playing what they like despite it not working with the rest of the team, or compromising and playing something that the team needs.

So in your example, the rival queue system would try to find somebody at your skill tier who mostly plays tanks, but who also sometimes plays damage and support heroes. It would try not to find you a rival that played only tanks or was an even split between tank and healer, for example, but would try to find somebody with as close to your role preferences as possible. It could even try to account for mobile vs. immobile heroes, but that’s a bit complex and might not work out.

The end result would be both teams have the same distribution of tank, damage, and healer players. It wouldn’t try to box people into 2-2-2 or try to build any sort of comp, but both teams would have the same number of tank players, damage players, support players, flex players, etc., mitigating the effect of the luck of the draw on the outcome of a match.

1 Like