Rigged competitive system is the reason for toxicity

I’m showing that the skill differential is the same under both systems. The only determining factor is how large the SR window is. The SR window is analogous to a league or bracket. If you contend that the current system is “rigged” for matching similarly skilled players around 50:50 odds, then you must also accept that a random system with 50:50 odds is “rigged.”

Sure, the match maker tries to find people of similar ping. I’d rather not get “handicapped” in a game because I have 200 ping while everyone else has 20.

SR and MMR mirror each with a confidence interval over many games. So, your SR = MMR if you’ve played enough games–which the overwhelming majority of players have done. MMR just represents standard deviations of performance from the average player.

Instead of looking at “0.00001245 MMR,” you see “2264 SR.”

You’re right that we don’t know exactly how the sausage [MMR] is made, but we have a pretty good idea.

3 Likes

Ignorance is bliss when you hit the right variables.

Meeeean while the game is dying - people get frustrated I constantly sway between 800 sr in and out of seasons. Others suffer lost streaks (and win streaks) and there is a stark difference sometimes between mic use and comms and zero comms

I might not be 100% right but, that’s the information I know about the matchmaker.

The matchmaker uses this factors when creating a match:

• MMR (Number between approximately -3 and 3)
  • Region including ping
  • Predicted win probability (must be higher than 40% for every player, otherwise the match won’t even be created)
  • some other small factors

SR is never used during the matchmaking process, probably only to predict the win probability of every player. But I’m not 100% sure, since this could also be done using the MMR (which would make sense). But SR makes sense for me too so idk.

I think players would be able to abuse the system really hard if they would know how exactly to increase the MMR

2 Likes

So we went from uses SR to uses no SR. …

There ya have it folks - we know the system.

I’ve never claimed SR is used for MM.

2 Likes

I think he wrote it because still many players claim that SR is used for MM and the posts here made it clear that it isn’t

1 Like

My bad but then again we do t know do we!!!

Well, we know more skillful players climb up the ladder and we know how more skillful players perform, don’t we?

We know your performance is being measured against other players and is in the form of standard deviations from the mean.

1 Like

As far as I know, SR is not used. But it defines the boundaries.

IE: 1000 SR up to 3500, 500 SR up to 4000, 350 SR up to 5000.

2 Likes

7PA32Q

please explain how these player are at this rank? supposedly this is 50% odds game. the fatal flaw in this game is that it cannot distinguish rank average from deeper statistical averages. they collect mountains of data for every hero you play…but their match maker is using barebones SR averaging.

Its not a rigged matchmaker…its a dumb matchmaker.

1 Like

“Manipulation” is not a problem in overwatch. in fact, it’s quite the opposite!

The huge problem with Overwatch competitive is that it’s RANDOM.

other competitive games like Overwatch for instance, will either only allow competitive on one map type, or will allow you to select maps. Overwatch throws maps at you at random. 2CP? Payload/ KOTH? Whatever, all of them, whenever, whatever!

Aside from TF2, are there any similar games that allow you to constantly swap heroes back and forth? This is more randomization. The role queue helps SOMEWHAT, but it’s not great (especially Damage queue since 60% of the roster is damage heroes…) There’s not even hero bans which is something Overwatch has needed for YEARS.

The matchmaking system is basically a poorly-written AI trying desperately to solve a sudoku puzzle. it looks at the Queue, and tries to arrange people into roughtly0equivalent SR teams. it is, again, completely random how it does this, beyond a string of preferences (i.e., it’ll favor a high silver over a low gold if the rest of the people in the game are middling silver) it’s literally rando vs. rando.

And then, to add to the mess? Overwatch refuses to give you any information in the game beyond who’s picked what hero and how many times you’ve died. There is no useful scoreboard, just the stupid medal system where some dude will brag about “I have gold elims” with his mighty three and acts like he’s the hard carry.

Basically the only thing the player has any control over or knowledge about is where they click their crosshairs. And that’s just really not enough.

1 Like

In one of the interviews Jeff had before he left, he literally said “SR is not used in matchmaking at all, MMR is, SR is simply a visual representation of MMR.” Now I believe this to be true, but so many people are hung up on SR being the main factor, even though it’s been said SR is meaningless, and more or less, in place so players can see roughly where they stand vs other players.

3 Likes

It does provide edge cases though. Masters can only match +/- 500 SR, GM and above +/- 350.

Anyone 3499 and lower +/- 1000

2 Likes

Yes that’s true, but doesn’t actually affect anyone other than the top 3% of players, thus is non issue while trying to climb to that point, and even at that point, to what we’ve all been told, the matches are still highly based upon MMR, and would be why the difference between 4k and 4.3k have such a huge gap in skill, I truly believe SR has no bearing in match quality until +/- 350 has said gap.

I’ve been told the skill gap between 4000SR-4300SR is about the equivalence of Bronze vs Gold/Plat, I do not know if this is true, but if it is, would be the only time SR would be relevant.

2 Likes

Nope, not true until 4.3.

2 Likes

So really only relevant to the top players in the world.

The difference between 4.0 and 4.3 is definitely a large variance. And it grows every 100-150 SR.

1 Like

I disagree, been in many of those lobbies and it wasn’t until 4.3 and higher that the pacing was significantly different.

1 Like

I have to agree here. 4.1 and 4.2 are pretty standard high Elo grinds. 4.3 - 4.7 is where you really start seeing some incredible gameplay.

3 Likes

The matchmaker doesn’t uses SR. For pure matchmaking only MMR is used.

3 Likes