"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

It is hard to replicate for Blizzard. Just because it has been easy to do for your friends it doesn’t mean it is automatically easy for everyone else to replicate it. I, for one, only had the crash about once per seven days. And Blizzard even made the claim themselves they could replicate it consistently because it happened so rarely.

If you refuse to use the rename method it is on you not on Blizzard. They gave you, a temporary, solution which works. Customers have such a little understanding of software because they are led to believe that in this day and age everything should be fixed right away. There are issues which will never see a fix and others which can take months. The amount of code necessary to create a working game is enormous and certain issues aren’t an easy fix nor are they easily replicated, which is why they asked for our help in the first place and why they are once again asking for our help. With this issue they clearly aren’t just stringing us along or they would simply remain silent. And since this is such an issue for you and others, you are more helpful helping them out over getting frustrated there is no fix when the temporary solution works for you. As long as you can play there shouldn’t be a real issue typing out credentials whenever you want to play.

Yeah lets call customers ignorant when they want a fix on something they paid for, people got punished for this and they got nothing, is ok for us to want a fix, and i never said i refuse to use the fix, i said it was annoying, maybe my english is not that good for you, and we aren’t asking for “an easy fix” it has over 5 months for some, since january for me, and well, some people will just defend the wrong one, stockholm syndrome maybe.

4 Likes

Ight boys. Haven’t been on Overwatch–or this thread–for a while now, but here goes:

I’ve tried the renaming fix multiple times. Doesn’t work. I’m back here again because I logged back on for one of the first times in a month or two.
And immediately got the error/crash on the home screen without it even loading in properly. This has never happened before. The problem is just worsening, so there’s my update.

Blizzard if you need someone to replicate crashes hmu

As a side note, my friend who builds a ton of graphics cards mentioned it may be an issue with how the API interacts with Overwatch. Dunno if that helps at all.

Also I’ve updated to the latest drivers.

RTX 2070 here. I get this “rendering device lost” error just about every 2 matches without fail. Windows 10 event viewer says “Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.” I’ve tried renaming the exe, tried rolling back and updating GPU drivers, tried uninstalling and reinstalling OW. Nothing fixes this.

I have about 7-10 other games that I am currently rotating and not a single other game of mine gives me an issue or presents any error. Even while having 6 hour marathon sessions, not so much as a hiccup. Unless I’m playing OW. Then i’m interrupted just about every 30 minutes or every 2 matches.

Not sure whats going on here or who’s responsible Blizz or Nvidia and honestly I don’t care… but this has been going on for awhile. I’m a Product Manager for a healthcare software vendor and if we had a bug like this out there for 4+ months forcing a segment of our market to not be able to use a key/critical feature (who wants to risk playing comp with consistent crashes), our customers would be looking to lynch someone from our shop.

One would think that Blizz would have some more influence with Nvidia and get some collaboration going here to get this addressed.

3 Likes

Working solution: Rename trick or remove profile via nvidia inspector

I have tried the following:
Remove drivers completely w/ DDU/Reinstall latest Drivers
Run 100% stock w/ only drivers installed (no OC software at all)

i7 8700k
16GB DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC
Windows 10 Home

When the error happens I have checked temps.
CPU ~75c
GPU ~70c

This error has ONLY happened in Overwatch, I haven’t seen it in Destiny 2, WoW, Anthem, Metro Exodus, Warframe, Borderlands, PoE. Just in Overwatch

All drivers including windows are up to date.

This issue happened what seemed like a mnth ago once then recently again it appeared. I did recently receive 2 updates from Microsoft a couple of days ago so that mighe be related to this as thats about the time I began to get the issue.

KB4493509

&

KB4493478

Here is my DxDiag for those interested:
pastebin. com/28zdRpWY

I will try some other ideas and post back of any findings.

UPDATE:
I have tried the rename suggestion and so far so good. I was able to bump my Power Limit/Temp Limit back up w/o issue so far. Will do some more testing and let yall know!

Update#2:
There were new drivers dropped last night, these unfortunately have the same issue. However the rename fix still works just fine. I read another person used nVidia Inspector to delete the profile entirely for OW, I will look into this and post back.

Update#3:
OK so after removing the profiles for Overwatch via nVidia Inspector and playing some games I have not received this error again. I am Power Limit/Temp Limits still maxed out. I consider this a solved issue, unless I run into this again consider this a final update. 4/14/2019

TIP: If you are just using the rename fix make sure you are launching the file you renamed and not via bnet launcher. If done correctly you will be prompted to sign in to Overwatch and asked for authenticator info EVERY TIME. If you don’t want to do this then you need to remove the nvidia profile with nVidia Inspector (google it), some genius thought it wise to set the profile to hidden so using nvidia control panel is not an option. If you rename the file and try to launch trough BattleNet then you are doing it wrong. I just have a feeling that the people who said this doesn’t work might be doing this. Just an FYI

1 Like

Im experiencing the same issue with my 2080 XC Ultra. Had to drop my graphics down to high and that seemed to take care of it.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this as well. Its when I’m lined up eye to eye with an enemy either close or far distance and especially if I’m facing multiple enemies and they’re aiming back at me. It also kinda freeze at those points if not completely erroring out to “rendering device lost”. I’m on a Bootcamp’d 2019 low end imac. My 2011 mid grade imac never had this issue. Now im wondering if its a memory issue. My 2011 imac had 20gb ram. This only has 8 I believe. :thinking:

I’m seeing this on my system, haswell / 2060. Fresh install with latest nvidia driver, no overclocks and no background applications running. I’ve renamed my overwatch.exe and haven’t crashed since, but it has only been a few hours. None of the other fixes suggested made any difference for me. Crashes would typically happen every 6-8 games. Same thing happened with my old 700 series GTX but much less frequently. Fix would be nice, it’s getting a bit stale.

1 Like

I also have this bug. It was annoying at first. Today it happened 4 times, with the last two resulting in ranked bans. I have tried renaming the file, it still happened. What do I do? Just stop playing the game? Please, Blizzard.

Hello guys i found a fix that has worked, so i recently bought a MSI RTX 2080 which is an overclocked edition, i simply underclocked the core by 200mhz (in msi afterburner) and bam not a single crash in over 20+ games compared with a crash in every game.

Still happening after latest Nvidia update. Rename and all the other steps listed/linked here have been attempted.
Sent on the email to blizz as they request previously.

Given up bothering with comp, lost games last season because of it and this season.

I’m just moving on to other games at this stage and just don’t play OW anymore for these reasons as it only happens here.

1 Like

Try underclocking your graphics card

Is this new or did it just get much worse? I just had it happen and I need to know if I must fix it now or it’s just a rare/sporadic issue.

I’ve only ever had it happen once before, ever.

RTX 2070. I’ve tried under clocking, resetting BIOS, lowering settings, wiping drivers and re installing, contacted nvidia support, and just about every other fix. My temps stay under 55c. This is not an overheating issue, this is an issue with coding. How is there not a fix for this?

Brand new PC with RTX 2070

This is really annoying , it sounds like a coding error. happened on my old PC and now the brand new one.

Tried the renaming trick last night, was able to play 4 matches in a row without any crashes, compared to the norm of having OW crash after every 2-ish matches or so.

-The regedit and gpedit tricks did not work. In fact it seemed to exacerbate the problem.
-Wiping the GPU drivers did not work.
-Updating MOBO bios did not work.
-Windows is fully up to date - makes no difference.
-Don’t have any issues running any other game at all, and no I’m not getting “other error messages” that make it seem as if this issue is not occurring for other titles. I get zero errors when playing other games for sometimes hours at a clip.

So for now the renaming trick seems to be working (annoying that I cant use the battle net client, annoying that i have to log into OW every time), but isn’t this proof that the bug lies with OW and how the bnet client sets up or requests a profile with the GPU? How do we still not have a fix for this yet? The RTX cards have been out since September.

Why are you ignoring and alienating an entire user segment from your game.

I’ve now played about 10 hours across qp, comp and archives since renaming and have not experienced any crashes yet so this seems to work for me. And yes, it’s mildly annoying to have to log in every time but nowhere near as annoying as crashing out of clutch games tbh.

maybe try the nvidia inspector to delete the overwatch entry?, to be honest i got a little annoyed and just stopped to even update the game, so i can’t try it, if i get enough will power, maybe will try it, but for now i will stick with mhw