"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

3 hours is not enough for testing. Sunday, i played over 8 hours and not a crash. Today i had 3 crashes already(been playing about 2 hour).

I’ve had this issue with my Strix RTX 2080 Ti. I did the admin-cmd “sfc /scannow” just in case, did a driver nuke with DDU and got a fresh driver from nvidias site. Haven’t had time to try it out, cuz work.

This is something that shouldn’t be an issue at all.

Hi same problem here, RTX 2080 maxq laptop (Asus GX701), crashes twice today, after about one to two hours of gameplay, OW just freeze and “rendering device lost” with newest nvidia driver 419.67

same bro. Mine start crashing today, twice after about 1-2 hours. RTX 2080 max-q

Same issue here: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC and Ryzen 2700x. It started last week with a crash almost each 20 matches, now there isn’t a match I can complete without a crash. I have tried almost all fixes without success. It started when I installed 419.67 driver.

1 Like

Interesting enough, at least my problem might caused by “Turbo” mode from Asus software, in this turbo mode, graphic card will auto overclock 100MHZ, and after I turned off, for all most 4 hours continuously gaming I did not have any issue. So it could be your card also OC, just saying, at least that is what I found.

Yes, but I’ve played a total of 12 hours since installing the RTX 2060 and everything was fine until now, the game has just crashed exactly when a match was finishing and interestingly enough this is the 2nd time it crashed at that exact point.

12 hours without a crash is def an improvement but I am afraid it’s still an issue, even after disabling the Shader cache. Although it might be totally unrelated, I will keep it disabled for the moment.

did you try the rename fix?? i have a RTX 2060 too and with that i have around 100 hours without a single crash, just annoying to be putting password/user/auth code every time i want to log in.

1 Like

I have 17 8700k, GTX1080 and I’m getting the rendering error, wouldn’t let me rejoin game after 10secs of reloading game, now suspended! Lots of people are getting this error and being suspended, no one knows that there is a fix which may/may not work

I used to encounter random rendering error on my GTX1080 as well, try using the older driver version 399.24, haven’t had a single crash since.

Hey all,

This forum thread / tracking is only for the RTX series GPU. Be sure to create a new thread for different GPU that may be having similar errors if you need assistance.

That said, our engineers have made a few updates on the situation and are requesting new system files. Before providing these to us please take the following steps:

1. Update the GPU drivers.

2. Update the OS and disable any overlays. (Discord and Twitch overlays can be disabled via settings menu, the program itself is fine to run)

3. Play the game until the issue happens again.

Once you get the “Rendering Device Lost” error on your RTX graphics card, please send us an MSinfo file.

To: Techinfo@Blizzard.com
Subject: RTX Rendering Device Lost

This inbox is not monitored and will not send responses. It’s used to collect information for Customer Support to assist in troubleshooting.

4 Likes

Oh hello, I seem to be fairly late to the party, but since yesterday when I installed my GTX 2070 card I also get the random ‘Rendering device lost!’ error and the game closes.

I have tried a lot of things without success so far, and it is only happening with Overwatch…

I am kinda shocked by the amount of people with this issue. This says enough if you ask me. It’s not the card, it’s the game.

The latest thing I tried was to create a ‘Paging file’ on a seperate hard drive. Will test if it works, will let you know.

What i did that seemed to fix it was download nvidia inspector and just deleted the overwatch profile entirely, this seemed to have sorted it for me played 4 hours without it happening so far. It was making the game unplayable for me. RTX 2080 btw.

3 Likes

I will give that a shot too.

It’s ridiculous. Was using AMD R9 390 before I upgraded to the GTX 2070 and I have never had any issue with this error so far for years. (Until I upgraded obviously)

Kinda strange and telling it only happens in Overwatch and not in the other games I play. The only thing I have seen since 2017 is Blizzard pointing fingers to ‘outdated drivers’ and system overheating and all that jazz.

No real fix so far.

2 Likes

The same for me. I played since the first beta with a GTX 760. Never had any problem with Overwatch (playing daily). Last january bought a RTX 2060 and what a nightmare since then.

Nvidia support is a nightmare too. They just blame Overwatch and Blizzard. I even told them about the “Blizzard does not support Overclocked cards” and they didn’t say anything.

I hope they find a real fix, but who wants to play knowing the game will crash with no reason and you will be punished…

3 Likes

Blizzard is NOT pointing to outdated drivers nor are they pointing to overheating, that is what some people in this thread have said but Blizzard hasn’t. The main thing Blizzard has mentioned is that Overwatch doesn’t really support overclocking but heat is something people assumed is/was the issue.

At the same time it is clear that one of the issues causing rendering device lost has got to do with NVidia’s driver profile or else renaming Overwatch.exe wouldn’t have stopped the crashes (for some of us it stopped entirely).

If the renaming method doesn’t work for you, you should create a new thread because then the issue with your graphics card is different than the issue Blizzard has been able to replicate, albeit with difficulty.

3 Likes

I can not believe that this game still crashes with 2080ti’s I have had my game crash twice at the start of the match today and I lost over 200 points now…

I have a $5000 computer and all it is dedicated for is games, nothing else is installed on it. I know this game would use 25-30% of my 2080 ti but damn!

The 2000 series has been out for a while now and we still get this.

:frowning:

3 Likes

A fix doesn’t magically happen. Blizzard has had trouble to replicate the crash consistently as it only happens randomly and some days not all for a bunch of us. Right now, they need our help, see the following post:

even when true, is not acceptable to have this for 5 months or more, a solution should had happen already, and saying is hard to replicate is not that true, 4 of my friends and me have rtx cards, and i can tell you if we don’t use the rename fix, it will happen to any of us at least 1 time in 30 minutes of play, we already “helped” sending stuff, but seems it doesn’t do a thing, so yeah, i can clearly see why a lot of people is frustrated of this already.

7 Likes

ty, I updated my drivers so i’m going to see how that goes, if it happens again will try the older driver version, can’t believe I lost my level 5 endorsement level from this incident!!