"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

It’s funny how Blizzard doesn’t respond on this topic anymore but people are still experiencing it and refering to this topic if you report a ticket.

I opened several tickets before they got to this topic where nice suggestions were made.

The latest response I got from Blizzard was the following:

This issue now needs to be solved from Nvidia side and they are aware of it so hopefully it will be fixed soon but there is not concrete ETA on this as it is from Nvidia side that the fix will be happening.

The renaming did fix my issue as far as I know. Even with the new Archives patch. Quite annoying tho to login via another way at the moment… Ah well…

Solution works for me:
I am using laptop Asus GX701, and turbo mode from asus software breaks OW. Due to turbo mode auto overclock my graphic card 100MHZ. So guys just try to disable overclock for your graphic if rename thing did not work.

A reply like that indicates they found something out. However the lack of transparency regarding this and not updating this thread which they are clearly aware of is what really irritates me.
All it does is increase my lack of trust for a company.

1 Like

Just remember, none of these are “solutions”. They are all band-aids (temporary workarounds to the actual problem) until the root of the issue actually fixed.
I’m still running the game on the lowest setting on my RTX2070 to get the game to not crash.

1 Like

I also own an RTX 2070 but I am still able to play the game in Ultra without crashing while using the renaming method. The main thing that reduced crashing for me before I tried out the renaming method was setting my FPS to be display based.

EVGA RTX2080 XC, only the renaming solution seems to be working. Last 3 days with renaming(overall ~16 hours), no crashes. Withour renaming, crash happens within 1-2 hour.

Are someone facing this issue since last patch?

I recently brought a RTX 2060 and it worked very well, not so quiet as my 960 was but I had a good performance improvement.

All games are working fine on this GPU, but since last Overwatch update I am getting the “Rendering device has been lost” error in game that forces it’s closure, it’s a madness for any competitive player, I was punished twice only today.

I was running the last 419 driver when I faced this issue first. I updated the driver to 425, the last one, and it persists. I do not got any error in any other game, I also do not got any error running GPU stress test softwares, so I does not think that it’s a hard are failure.

If anyone have any tip, I appreciate.

Thanks a lot and regards

Edit: No, I am not overclocking my GPU, it’s full stock, thanks.

See the sticky: "Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

You may want to try to rename Overwatch.exe into something like OverwatchTest.exe and start the game outside of battlenet. There happens to be issues with RTX graphics cards Blizzard is trying to resolve but it is taking a while to get to the bottom of what is causing the crashes. For a bunch of people who own an RTX graphics card the renaming method stops the game from crashing.

you are 100% correct, we need a actual patch from blizzard, not some “fix”.
Also, I just crashed again…

I just crashed again, even though all my settings are at stock… lol

I just got crashed. This mostly happens when a competitive game starts and choosing hero then I have no chance to reconnect rather than to lost 50 points. I’ve lost 200 points due to this problem this season. You guys should really look into this problem. I’m running RTX2080 and this never happened in my old laptop with 960M before.

I stop playing competitive due to this stupid issue. Never occur to other games ever. just overwatch.

Can we have an official answer? This is getting really annoying

1 Like

Hello,

I also have this issue with a RTX 2070 and this is really annoying in ranked, specially when it happen during the first minutes of the game…

Also, i have a G-Sync compatible monitor (FreeSync) and i have some issue with VLC or Kodi in fullscreen, the monitor turn off during 1 or 2seconds and get back on.

So i found on a website a solution to deal with this issue. On NVIDIA control Panel, under Set up G-SYNC section, i had the checkbox Enable settings for the selected display model on even if the G-SYNC is disabled. So i enabled the G-sync, uncheck the box and after that re-disable the G-SYNC again.

It appears it solves the issue on VLC. Perhaps this issue is related with our problem.

Have you compatible G-SYNC monitors too ?

Same issue here with a RTX 2060, even if the issue is related to nvidia, blizzard need to contact nvidia because customer are having issues with the game.

1 Like

RTX 2070. Had this build since january and all was fine.

It just randomly drops mid game with a black screen and no error. system is unresponsive. Once yesterday and 5 times today. Im down to a crash every other game now and without error codes there’s not much i can do. Tried driver updates. Ive shut down other processes. Still random black screens.

could be two problems here, at least what i think. 1. your issue more like a over heating problem. find out your temps during games, make sure they are normal. 2. if that is not the reason, then check your PSU, it also might be a not enough power deliver issue.

1 Like

I am running on a G-SYNC laptop, I just have the “rendering device lost” problem (so far only OW gives me this problem). I never other issue, but if you are running free-sync trough nvidia card, I believe that some time some monitors are not fully compatible with nvidia card.

I have an ASUS B450-F Strix motherboard with the Ryzen 5 2600X and a Gainward RTX 2070 8 GB Dual OC card and run latest Windows with latest Nvidia driver.

The default on this motherboard for performance enhancer is “auto” but I’ve changed that to “default” before which resulted in lower voltages and “auto” may be an overvolt and overclock from ASUS at-least before. They like doing such stupid things and seem to like it still.

I did however run my Corsair Samsung B 3466 MHz CL 16 at 3200 MHz 14-14-14-28 or something such with my HD 6950 2 GB.

Since installing the RTX 2070 I get these errors in Overwatch about once an hour. I haven’t got them in Quake Champions yet but that may not mean much.

I did run DDU before changing graphics card and install the latest drivers but since having this error I’ve installed the latest BIOS on the motherboard, loaded defaults, set performance enhancer to “default” instead though that still seem to push 1.4x volt to the CPU so ASUS may still suck there, I’ve changed the RAM to DCOP and then manually picked 2933 MHz and let the SOC voltage remain on auto which likely push more than necessary but 2933 MHz is what Ryzen officially support so that should work just fine. But it still crashes. Which kinda make it less likely that the problem is my settings there since nothing there run overclocked as is.

I think reinstalled Windows onto another SSD and just fetched the latest chipset drivers from ASUS, latest audio drivers from ASUS and the Geforce Experience and tried again but the game still crashes.

My card is a “demo copy” from the store though so a customer return so maybe it was returned because of issues. Anyway I get this while running everything as stock as can be done on a B450-F Strix board with proper claimed supported memory frequency from AMD and still get this problem :confused:

I personally would assume it’s the graphics card in my case and in many cases above things like memory overclocks but I don’t know and maybe it’s actually a problem specially with the game.

Hardware:
ASUS B450-F Strix
Ryzen 5 2600X
Gainward RTX 2070 Dual OC

Firmware and software:
Windows 10 1809 all updates fresh install.
2019-04-09 25.21.14.2521 Nvidia driver
2202 BIOS

Motherboard configuration:
Performance enhancer: Default.
DCOP enabled + frequency set to 2933 MHz.

Do you have a G-Sync compatible monitor ?