"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

September and I’m still having issues with this. This is the most frustrating thing I’ve had to deal with in Overwatch.

Edit. 3 crashes and counting tonight. :frowning:

One thing I do notice from the new driver. No crashing but I get random spikes (about once a day). Ping is fine but my in game delay value spikes to 120 (usually 20).

the rename (OverwatchTest.exe) work around has been working solidly for me for over a month, until today. 2 “render device lost” in back to back games, (banned in between briefly). Now I am stuffed. no work around any more QQ

(RTX 2080 Ti, 436.30 driver, 9900k, sadness)

Anyone on an RTX card should try afterburner or aorus. And under clock your cards some need -100 some -500 mhz but I was crashing in all games, losing d3d devices, artifacting etc. Rtx cards use nvidia boost 4 and run at a higher clock than advertised and they have little over head. So if you card says 1700/14000 etc it might be boosting to 2100 putting it in unstable ground.

I rma my card got one back same issue only fix i found was u der clocking the when it boosts it stays in the stable zone.

To reiterate, we’ve confirmed that the latest Nvidia drivers work around the specific bug we were investigating here. If you are still having the problem with the 436.02 or a more recent driver, you have a different problem that will need a separate resolution and should start your own thread. More information on how to get that help later in this post.

The latest driver doesn’t have a proper “Fix” but Nvidia has some coding in the driver to disable the profile which we suspected was causing the error. If you haven’t updated to the latest drivers, you can find them here. I recommend using the Custom Installation option and selecting the “Clean Install” toggle.

If you have already clean installed the latest driver and you’re still having problems, you’re having a different error. You’ll want to start your own thread or contact support for help.

Once we get word that a new driver has the full fix for the problem we’ll post again here.

A post was split to a new topic: Zass17 - Rendering Device Lost

This has fixed it for me…at least for now.

I am using the rtx 2070 super and am currently on the 436.02 version and still regularly the game freezes/crashes and most of the time I get the notification with the rendering device being lost… until today it mostly only happened when saving a highlight but now it happened in comp and I lost 70 sr…

Three questions:

1. is it possible that updating to the 436.30 solves this?
  2. Is the renaming workaround (overwatchtest.exe) reliable?
  3. Is a permanent fix coming anytime soon? I have seen posts from 2016 all the way up until now and I am at this point honestly not believing that anybody at blizzard or nvidia even cares about this…
1 Like

On what driver version have you been on before?

Also have Nvidia RTX 2070, havent had any issues until the last week. Updated driver, reinstalled game, tried the rename of application file, still the game will crash within a minute of launching to “render device lost”

to be fair i’m beginning to think blizzard nor nvidia cares. I’ve gone to both support websites and I just either get lightly blown off or told to do the same exact things that honestly don’t fix the problem. Nvidia has told me that they are working on a fix but no information is available. i made a couple posts on the blizzard forums about this only for a couple staff to try and help and then just give up after 2 responses. this is a really annoying and growing issue as more and more people get this message. something us got to give

Crashing is back again, even with the gpu updates and deleting the profiles with profile inspector. It’s clear Blizzard doesn’t care about this issue

https://imgur.com/rpIKu7m
seems like temperature is not the only problem here

I also tried out methods like TdrDdiDelay/TdrDelay and downgrading GeForce driver.

and now the situation is the game crashed every 10 minutes!
help me please…

I had this issue in the end of 2018 for a while after I got a new pc with an RTX 2070, then it went away and i played crash-free for about 8 months. Now in the last week I have been having overwatch crash again every time I try to play. It’s NEVER happened with any other game so I don’t buy for a second that this is an issue with my card or PC.

Usually the Halloween event is the only time I buy loot boxes but if this keeps up I’ll save my money for a game that’s playable.

Same thing here with 2080ti. Haven’t crashed like for several months now and suddenly it started crashing again this week. Haven’t updated gpu drivers so this might be windows issue? :open_mouth:

The issue is clearly coming from either Blizzard or Nvidia. Our hardware is fine, it is the game that is bugged. Sometimes, as many people already said, the issue goes away for months, then comes back to ruin our experience.

1 Like

renaming overwatchtest works

A post was split to a new topic: Ultimatum - Rendering Device Lost

Hey all,

Reports of this issue have slowed to a trickle compared to earlier, and based on our internal monitoring of statistics, the vast majority of people still having problems with this are either on an old driver version for their Nvidia card OR are having a totally different issue which throws the same generic error message.

If you are still having this problem, please ensure that you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. If you continue to have problems, create your own thread.