Remove "win" condition challenges

Remove each and every one of the “challenges” that require winning and instead replace them with PLAY (WINS COUNT DOUBLE) “challenges”. Up the target number by 50% and there you go, at least you’ll now have a definite end to them.

There is something insidiously disgusting about play sessions that end up in zero progress in certain challenges.

Seriously. Burn them and put some fun back into the game.

At least I no longer see the rotten “team kill” one.

And while you’re doing that, do something about those annoying “challenges” that have their completion data hidden, like the multiple roles one.

An optional in-game real time update on challenges would be fun, too, with messages like “+1 kill/assist with ultimate”, “+1 long range kill”, or “+300 healing”. Could be nice feedback.

And something marking your most played heroes from every category, for that other “challenge”.

But I digress. Send the win “challenges” to the shadow realm. Let people get some crumbs from all of the consecutive roflstomp lol gg ez matches.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot, win “challenges” are even worse because you’re forced to play some specific role (so the win as “all roles” won’t even advance if you somehow win) or some alternative game mode (in which some other stuff won’t count).

26 Likes

Imo, they should just up the number of weekly challenges to, like, 16. While still requiring to do 11. So you can avoid the ones that don’t suit you.

I don’t play arcade and I am a bad tank. Forcing me to play a tank just makes it worse for my team. Forcing players to play for win in Arcade is laughable, all modes there are quite unbalanced currently.

Let people choose.

6 Likes

Or they could not be anti-consumer and have the weekly challenges stack like every other F2P battle pass game lol.

Absolute joke that they don’t stack.

4 Likes

that is very intentional.
the goal is to squeeze as much playtime out of you

you’re the product, you’re a worker. Your job is to be entertainment for the whales

3 Likes

Challenges must be removed. It’s super frustrating when they force you to play a role or a game mode that you dislike. Like I am not a support player at all, neither I like to play dps, but I have to choose them

1 Like

Maybe just make the wins count for double like it is for the hero challenges on new accounts.

But ofc because this is blizzard, if it happens, they will make the challenges require 3 times the current amount.

2 Likes

I dont think that its a good idea to just create “play X matches” as challenges. Its good that you need to win games. Its an incentive to give your best and maybe try out roles that you have no much experience with. Another point is that you dont need to complete the weeklies in all to max out your BP. 5k XP are not so much that you could not get with a few games. Most weeklies bring more XP when you try to complete the challenge, than when you complete them.

I can see your point if you mainly look at the “I want to grind the coins” side. In this case I would rather say, change the requirement from 5/9/11 or what it is currently to 3/3/3 and let people ignore 2 weeklies and still get all the coins.

4 Likes

The real problem with battlepass challenges is that they change the way people play, how they play, and what they play. Because they want challenge progress instead of just doing what they want, OR what is actually necessary to win.

3 Likes

Why do I need to try my best in arcades? Why do I need to try my best on roles I will never play? I don’t play any roles but tanks, never

Then dont. It can give you quite a bit of information when you play supports. You will understand them more and even know their positioning that you can use as a tank to kill them with ease. In arcade… yeah I agree that its stupid. Its the only quest I dont do, because I dont like any arcade mode.

This.
Games should be about having fun, not winning at all costs, all the time, even in arcade.

2 Likes

Arcade is the only win condition that needs to go imo because its a gamemode most people dont normally interact with,hence it becomes a chore.

Lets not fall to the other side of the horse with these challenges tho, because before we realize it, the next thing we notice is that all weekly challenges are simply “Play pls” “Jump 3 times” and “say hello”.

Winning is an essential part of the game, you will get them pretty much even if you dont want to. Getting rid of win requirements overall is just pointless.
If we absolutely have to do anything regarding win conditions, wins should count as 2 point towards a certain progression while losing is just 1.

2 Likes

I mean, unless you do EVERY challenge, including some really weird game modes you won’t even like, you’ll only get 50 credits per week. That’s 20 weeks, or 5 months, for a single 1000c skin. If you put 5h each week towards these challenges, it would amount to 100h of grinding. And most of these, especially the win based, aren’t something you can do in a single 5h session. Some maybe not even 10.

But even on the safe side, we’d be looking at a minimum of 100h to earn a skin that costs less than 10 bucks.

From an economic standpoint I realized early that the best thing I can do about the challenges is ignore them completely. Just play whatever you find the most fun, and if you really need a skin, buy it.

1 Like

I am not against wins, as I am against wins coupled with forcing roles or modes. Win X games in QP is good. Win X games as any 2 roles is ok. Win X games as all 3 roles is not ok, it forces you to probably play a role you’re bad at with a goal to win.

Forcing people into arcade mode is already bad - Arcades are not everyone’s cup of it, to say it mildly. Forcing people to go there and try to win is asking for toxicity and a bad time.

Overall, IMO, there should be just more challenges than needs to be done, so people have a choice to ignore a few that don’t suit them. After all the goal of challenges is to incentivize people to play more, not to make them suffer more.

Just like you don’t need to do the challenges for anything. Solved.

No FR, god forbid some "challenges" have a requirement to win matches instead of giving participation trophies.

I got a “win 10 flex games”, “win 3 games on each role” and “win 7 arcades” this week. If I don’t do them I’ll only get 30 coins in an already unfair monetization system

Again, not needed at all.
Also if you can’t do that in a week, sorry dude, its not a “challenge” issue.

Sure, if you want to buy one skin per 5 years maybe

I can do it within a day, but why should I play the way I don’t want to? In OW1 I could play whatever I want and gain xp, why can’t they make the same system but with battle pass xp?

Not even mentioning that I have some other stuff to do and some other games to play too

1 Like

More like if you want.
If you want X, you have to do Z. Thats how the world works, remember?
Again, the word “need” is an overstatement. Things have requirements, nothing new in this universe.

… are you aware how the world works dude?
The word “challenge” has meaning. If you take the “challenges” from the quests, they are not challenges lol.

This is going to make your mind explode but here it goes:
Everyone has other stuff to do and other games to play.

:exploding_head:

Or, you could just wait and buy stuff when its on sale. I spent the 5 dollard in the doomfist skin because it came with 500 OW Coins. No, I don’t lay doomfist at all… its amazing that they wont let you pick a skin you want when charging money like this.

And don’t act like there wont be more sales during season 2, guys.