Remove Private Profiles?

Good, god.

OP: Wants to look at the team to see what heroes they play and prefer to play, using VC, team chat and all to figure out what synergies may work.
Team: 4/5 Private profile grey screen, that gives no indication to any preferred heroes, winrates, skill levels and so on. It’s just, nothing.

At the time, the feature was introduced to reduce toxicity and essentially permit boosted Mercy mains. Before the feature, looking at someone’s profile was deemed a form of malice, as you could then use the hours on Mercy to say “this person can only play Mercy.”

Role lock stopped that force pick style of play. That player is not forced to play one hero all day every day, they can pick and choose. No teammate can say “pick Mercy” when they’re not on the role. I’m more tilted by staring at a grey screen than playing with a person who’s better on Mercy than a DPS.

EDIT: After discussion, here’s what the thread’s conclusion is in my opinion, for those who don’t want to scroll through mindless blocks of text.

-Rework the private profile system, limit player’s access to specific details, and give players full control over what their teammates can see, instead of a simple “you can or cannot see my game data.”

-Deleting Private Profiles without any extra support suggested above would bring back toxicity. Venus did indeed reference an article below if that is of any interest. I’m only level 2 so no link posting.

24 Likes

No, just tone them down, allow people to see most played, second most, third ETC but dont allow people to see direct amount of hours

Along with that allow people to hide winrates and stats

1 Like

I did suggest on another thread changing it to be:

Friends/groups/teammates can view what heroes you play.

Enemy team and everybody else cannot.

Is it that hard to do?

3 Likes

Remove profiles, stats, and medals. Allow players to change their names easily, at will, and for free.

11 Likes

Open profiles would be even worse with role lock.

You’d be harassed for playing a role you don’t have as much time on as others before you even got out of the hero select room.

Blizzard is solidly going down the route of “see no evil, hear no evil” :monkey_face: and it’s highly unlikely it will change.

11 Likes

You’re harassed no matter what. Role queue brought a gigantic wave of toxicity, ESPECIALLY in EU servers.

Or just, “Do less,” Ana 2018

2 Likes

I agree the quality of matches has gone down with role queue, but I also think opening profiles would only be adding fuel to the fire.

8 Likes

I do see why people would suggest this, IE “You have 300 hours Mercy why are you on DPS,” but… I honestly don’t believe it’d be a problem anymore. People are forced into these sorts of positions via RNG, so again I state “Accept it or leave.”

Besides, not as if OW isn’t afraid of drastic changes. Look at hero balance for example.

They alongside endorsements cut the abusive chat reports down by 40%.

If you want to coordinate with your teammates, open your mouth and ask. You don’t need some stats on a screen to hold your hand.

4 Likes

“Lol Mercy main contributing to DPS que times thanks a lot”

11 Likes

Source? I’d love to find the stats for half of the social features in OW.

I do, that’s the problem.

In plat and diamond, mutes and non comms are EVERYWHERE. You either have to ask first and guess what they play, or give up with half of them. Hundreds of hours of my time have been wasted trying to guess what a player plays because of a lack of communication and co-ordination. It does my head in down here.

1 Like

Hmmm

This argument has even less merit after role que.
Why do you care? If they are on dps they will play what they play and you fill, the same goes with any other role.

At least before you could kinda argue that seeing the profile of your teammates could tell you what role and hero to fill, but role lock removes that completely.

I see it adding nothing except trying to find people to blame and flame and the return of endless arguments on who has what win rate on what hero, how many kills per life etc. And also i still have vivid memories of people telling me I cant play Dva cause shes only my third most played and I should just play my main or im throwing (I had 70 hours on Dva at the time), as if people actually had the time to properly look at your stats unless they are getting tilted lmao

So literally no argument to have it removed.

Here is a solution that doesn’t require any code.

Op: Sees a person has picked X hero, assumes said person plays X hero and likes to play X hero.

3 Likes

I’m 600 hours into comp. I care because I want to know what they’re comfortable with, even if they’re unable to communicate for whatever reason. For example; if a player is on Mei and I’m on Zarya, I can look for another hero in their playtimes and suggest it for a synergy. I care because I don’t want to throw a game because of my teammate playing a hero that doesn’t work, and not bother trying to fix the comp.

You’ll get that either way. The toxicity is still present no matter what solution you find. You can’t win a war of “fixing the game’s community,” as the community came from LOL, one of the most horrible playerbases in gaming history.
What private profiles did was just change what players said. It went from “boosted Mercy main” to “trash player.”

There is no difference.

1 Like

endorsements cut abuse? im more “toxic” than ever and im still rolling in sportsmanship endorsements.

First off, role queue didn’t necessarily stop the force pick problem. It stopped a forced role problem, nothing more. If I have 100 hours on Mercy but feel like playing, say, Zen for a change, people are still capable of expecting or outright telling me to go Mercy, even if that’s not who I want to play.

Secondly, don’t get it wrong. The toxicity is still there. If they see a Mercy main playing Widow, they’re still going to complain that they “have a Mercy main throwing on Widow” just like they did before. And before it’s brought up, no, role SR doesn’t change that. People will just say that the Mercy main got their DPS placed close to their main support SR because of a borked system and have to fall down to where they belong on DPS.

Besides, not like any of it matters, because you already are in comms, just talk to your team to see what they want to pick. And if your teammates aren’t in chat, then you have bigger issues than just what hero they want to play.

1 Like

i think the profile should be reworked completely

… give it more structure, new filters and add new options like selecting heroes you like playing and bring back hover over profiles.

1 Like

Preferred heroes instead of stats on the left for example. More options and/or limitations into what players can and cannot see. Not “yes or no” to player’s ability to view what they see.

[Post edited by Forum Moderator to remove toxicity.]

“Disruptive behaviour” dropped 40 per cent after Overwatch introduced endorsemen | PC Games Insider.

26% of that was from endorsements according to Kaplan.

1 Like