Remove Prio passes for tank games

Then you’ll be ecstatic to know they are not doing this for OW2 and theres still only one tank

yes that is one of my biggest worry over the state of tanks in OW2.

1 Like

You only get 1 for a loss though

That’s the problem though, you still get a guaranteed pass even when you throw a game to make sure it ends in 5 mins. Its dumb and shouldn’t be a thing.

Idk, I just don’t think anyone would think that’d be worth to actually intentionally throw for 1 pass per game.

And we all know Blizz can’t do that.

1 Like

I mean if your queue is 20 seconds for tank, and the game takes 5 mins for you to throw, and your queue is 15 mins for dps without a pp, and 8 mins with a pp, you save yourself 2 mins.

I genuinely want to know what people like you do on Tank when you play it. I play Tank and hop on Zarya, Sigma, DVA, Rein, and am trucking people. I feel as though I am the powerhouse and the decider of the game. Though they are meaningless I am holding the gold damage card (sometimes Silver if the comp is built differently or I am Rein) and at no point do I feel like a punching bag.

Which brings me to the point: what are you people doing on Tanks? Like I would genuinely want to see a Tank game from your perspective. Like a full replay so I can just capture what it is you are experiencing that is so radically different from my own.

3 Likes

They play Reinhardt and hold shield up and complain when their team doesn’t do anything.

Personal preferences. I liked tanks before the nerfs to personal defenses. Shield tanks are my favorite tanks and I dislike the changes, now it has gotten a bit better after a couple rounds of patches.

I basically play tank less now and find it less enjoyable even when I win.

I also hate how they nerfed Orisa into the ground and left her tat way fro a long time.

Thanks but no OP, I’ll keep locking Hammond, just because you decided one character is not your kind of tank doesn’t mean ppl are throwing.

3 Likes

That is an over exaggeration and you would not climb if playing tanks that passively. I have no problem hitting W and liked tanks when they were more durable.

Anyway each person is different. If you like the current tanks then good for you.

I was targeting the tanks that people typically pick when filling for tank because these have the ability to survive on their own. I did not mean to imply that simply picking Hammond is a throw pick.

I’m avidly against this.
There is nothing and I mean nothing more frustrating in this game, than trying to fill your priority passes.

If I play comp, and drop an entire rank from losing a game. At least I got to do it on a character I enjoyed.

With Priority passes. I’m playing a role I didn’t really feel like playing in the first place, because 50% of the time I didn’t feel like playing it. And then if I lose I get 1 pass which will save me the equivalent time of like a third of my game time. But there is no “quick” way to earn passes. Because if I’m at the rank I deserve to be at on tank, then I should have a 50% winrate unless I’m improving or getting worse (god forbid, passes would be nigh impossible if I’m getting worse). But not just that, I get bullied for playing a character nobody wants. It’s just a terrible experience.

People complain about throwers for passes. They don’t exist (well they do, because someone out there obviously has no brain). But for the most part, they don’t exist and anyone who complains about them is just complaining for the sake of it. Because throwing for 1 pass would take so much effort for a reward that you had to waste your own time to save less of your own time to get.

Or take OP for example, they’re complaining people are playing the role and playing a character they don’t like. Mate if I’m gonna play tank, I’m gonna play the hero I WANT.
Tank synergy doesn’t even matter at like most levels of ranked cus nobody can use it properly. Orisa Ball can win games if they play right.

But all in all, priority passes are incredibly frustrating to farm. And I’m gonna make my time as fun as possible. But lowering it to 0? I’ll never flex again.

Lol. It isn’t Sigma’s fault.
It’s cus of role-queue.
Tanks in Role queue were too good. So they were nerfed.
People say power creep was a problem for the game. Then call out stuff like, McCree’s 0.42 fire rate, Ashe, brig, Bap.
But they oddly never call out tanks.

If you put release Orisa into the game right now. Imagine how OVERPOWERED that would be.
900 HP shield every 8s.
7m halt every 8s
Fortify every 8s
Halt snare 1s duration

Yet her damage would take a small hit.
And people would find her frustrating to play against and unfun to play. because she’d be denying a ton of plays but never making any.
That’s how tanks were before. Sustain machines.
Now they are more offense orientated and that’s a good thing.

They feel weakest around plat-masters. Because most players are good enough to lot tanks get away with stupid mistakes, but the team isn’t good enough to execute a tank synergy properly. On top of teammates not picking heroes good for the tanks.
You go ball? they go bap.
You go rein? they go Brig.
etc
And it makes your comp fall apart.

I want to start by saying the problem you’re talking about is real, and it’s been the foremost problem with role queue since it came out. The game currently expects 1/3 of players in every game to tank, but the amount of players who actually want to tank is far below that. Solo tanking feels awful because the heroes are so synergistic, but your partner probably doesn’t even want to be on tank.

The intent behind priority passes actually exacerbates this issue. They were designed to get players who don’t really want to tank to do it anyways so they can get a better queue for DPS later. This helped queue times, but destroyed game quality.

This won’t happen because it doesn’t help queue times for everyone by getting players on tank. Instead, it just helps queue times for players who win, which would make games a whole lot more sweaty, but keep queue times horrid for the DPS who don’t win. I can see where you’re coming from on this, but it doesn’t align with Blizzard’s goals.

The solution Blizzard’s chosen for these problems, which I think is actually a decent one if they can pull it off, is the shift to 5v5. Less players will have to tank, and you won’t ever get stuck tanking alongside somebody who doesn’t want to be in that role. I understand why people are hesitant from what they’ve shown so far, but it’s a decent solution to a real problem this game’s had for a long time.

1 Like

Again I don’t mind what tank my teammate picks. Its just a usual occurrence that when they pick a high solo survivability tank, its a dps main filling for tank for prio passes, and don’t bother to play like a team. They seem to treat a tank fill game as a quick play game, which frustrates someone trying to take tank seriously to no end.

Not really. Where do you think “DPS do something!” comes from? Tanks are the ones that decide games, not DPS. In fact tanks are so much more powerful, even though there are twice as many DPS, if role queue wasn’t a thing the most powerful lineup is one that involves 0 DPS.

This rings so true and familiar, I got 6 accounts, 5 of them are masters to low GM as tank, the 6th one was diamond, dropped almost to gold playing mostly hammond and hog and cherry on top people reported me for gameplay sabotage and got me suspended for 3 days :slight_smile:
They genuinely have no idea how to play around anything besides Rein it’s pathetic and they’ll blame me you everytime they die, which happens a lot because “MUHHH SHIELD I CAN’T HIDE BEHIND A CORNER TO SURVIVE I HAVE TO FACETANK EVERYTHING”.

I’ve come to hate gold / plat / low diamond players recently. Big yikes.

God I miss Goats :Sadge: 20 chars

That is why I hope tanks would be more independent and self sufficient, but I don’t that will be the case.

A good change depends on people’s preferences. I have seen people say the changes to tanks was a good one, well the changes also did not draw any new players to tanks and actually cause a big problem with too few tank players - which caused the creation of Priority Passes.

How good are the changes if it actually made the tank role less desirable?

1 Like