Refusing to switch is gameplay sabotage yes or no

While it can be considered poor teamwork, officially it’s not meant to be reportable. Many however end up reporting such activity due to the fact it’s simply poor teamwork if you’re getting countered as a hero and won’t switch to something else that could make a difference. There’s also the fact that there’s a limited number of ‘avoid as teammate’ slots, which further incentivises players to report such behaviour anyway.

I don’t understand people who one trick. I get that people have their favourite hero blah blah blah but when I see someone who has 300 plus hours on one hero and barley any on anyone else it erks me a bit because they pay all this money and play just one hero it’s nut’s there are a couple of hero’s I’m just no good with. but if the team comp isn’t working i’ll change. I mean Teamwork makes the dream work right?

Blizzard’s official stance on the topic is: no, this is not gameplay sabotage.

Most people’s stance on this is: if you are doing bad on a hero and are refusing to switch, this is gameplay sabotage. This is also my opinion.

Ex-employees of Blizzard, like Griffin Bennet (former social media manager), share this view: “Yay! I don’t work for Blizz anymore so I can finally say this. Anyone who doesn’t work as a team when picking heroes deserves to be reported. Don’t “one trick” anything. It’s selfish and a sh*ty thing to do to others.”

So Blizzard’s official stance might differ greatly from the personal stance of their employees on this topic as well.

And of course I do report such people regardless what Blizzard thinks, because only if Blizzard gets enough pressure on this topic they might change their ways.

This.

Doesn’t matter if you actually broke any of OW rules, if you get reported enough you’ll get a suspension which Blizzard wont overturn.

They’ll give the usual talk about the “evidence” is accurate and the report wont be overturned.

Thats depends…

If you are in QP, and trying to learn new heroes, then ehh **** em. I myself cant help but mostly tryhard, but you gotta learn em somewhere.

If its in comp, or lfg, then not switching to obvious counters like hitscans or snipers, if your team is getting rekt by phara. (and you are the dps ofc) I would say it IS, but in the end, your best know, what you are good at.

I’d say it can be both. Sometimes people on my team will zero me out and ask me to switch and I simply know they are wrong. Had a little kid tell me since d.va was in play on the enemy team I needed to switch off tracer. Ignoring the fact that d.va is a non issue for tracer I was on a 15 kill streak and had spent the bulk of the match on fire. Should I switch just cause I’m the one singled out and blamed? Or do I keep at it with the hero im doing very well on? I’d say the latter. Just cause your asked to switch doesnt mean you have to cripple your own gameplay over something you know is a bad call.

Still not reportable. That’s the point.

It is. Blizzard just won’t admit it because they might lose more players than they’re already losing.

In fact, as soon they quit Blizzard…

It’s reportable and I’ll keep doing it.

That doesn’t fly dude.

If the rules on the books is that anyone caught with a bottle of alcohol has to be fined, you don’t just get to go “eh, I’ll let him be, I don’t agree with that law” as a cop.

Either you make it stated in game that hero selection is reportable and considered gameplay sabotage or you don’t uphold the bans for it. Blizzard wants to have it’s cake and eat it too at the expense of it’s players and that’s not how the real world works.

1 Like

Yes you were but the contradict themselves to back up their obviously flawed automatic banning system. I one trick, and play as best I can, but I’m suspended for throwing and feeding right now. They have 0 evidence of this but won’t tell me how I was throwing or feeding.

Get used to it because it’s only going to get worse from here on out

On the LITERAL definition of the word. Yes it actually is a game-play sabotage. Think about it for a moment people.

Just think about it, if someone is using a hero, that is actively being countered by an X amount of heroes on the opposing team and is refusing to switch, how is that not a game-play sabotage? Just ignore what the hell Blizzard said about switching and actually speak your thoughts on the matter.

NOTE: Not talking about one tricks, I’m talking about refusing to switch.

I’ve used the other characters. I know how to use them. I use the other characters in PVE all the time. Doesn’t change my position on how I play the game.

Players have every right to play whatever character they want, and are ergo not required to switch.

So refusal to switch is perfectly legal and not legally reportable

What those of you who say it is gameplay sabotage dont understand is that a player not doing what YOU want them to do is NOT gameplay sabotage.

Yes and no. If you’re essentially just getting hard countered so hard you can barely leave spawn, I’d say you should switch and reports are more or less warranted, harsh as it sounds. That being said, I’ll always give an attack bastion or whatever a chance, at least. I mean, I’m a QP player mostly so why not

I’ve found plently of torb, sym, bastion one tricks, and those were some of my best games.

Heck…we had a bastion one trick on king’s row and I got 31k healing as Mercy!

1 Like

Under the current joke of a report system… whether it factually is or not is irrelevent.

1 Like

The game says it isn’t but it should be.

The dev team even advises against it saying it can easily damage the experience for the one trick and risk the experience for their teammates.

If someone on my team is deliberately restricting their hero pool to one hero and that player is in a situation where the only hero they know how to use is getting hard countered, that person is sabotaging the experience for their team by deliberately making things harder for themselves and their team, hence “gameplay sabotage”

…except is isnt

thats not called “gameplay sabotage” thats called “the game revolves around me me me and if you dont do what I want you to do I’m telling mommy”

or something like that

It’s not about “the game revolving around me”.

It’s about being generous to the 5 others who you get grouped with that want to win.

You only playing one specific hero AND not switching when it is required is you deliberately making things harder for yourself and your team.

Remember a few weeks ago when gaming websites were publishing articles about the new endorsement system saying things like “Overwatch’s Trolls are Losing”, “Overwatch endorsements and ‘looking for group’ features are already working”, and “New Overwatch social features lead to drop in toxicity, Blizzard says”. That was a good week of less toxicity.