Refusing to switch is gameplay sabotage yes or no

Just wondering on opinions about this, since i was unfairly suspended most likely for one tricking. However what i found interesting was the fact that when i submitted a ticket to appeal my suspension and when i was accused of “gameplay sabotage” this is what the GM had to say “To answer your question as best as I can, “refusing to communicate” or assist the team in any way that you can (including composition) cn be seen as gameplay sabatoge, since it’s definitely not productive to team play in any way.” But the funny thing is, on the report screen it says “gameplay sabotage is NOT:” and it mentions “refusing to switch off a hero”. So i do believe i was punished unjustly.

27 Likes

It is not. They made that clear a loooong time ago.

57 Likes

Not that it really matters. Yes the official stance is One tricking isn’t against the rules. On the other hand it’s probably the most likely thing you can do to get mass reported and thus banned. Since the automatic system doesn’t care to investigate any details. If you one trick a hero people don’t like in what ever is considered F tier at the moment, your very likely to get reported enough to get punished.

I would imagine it’s even worse at the higher ranks, despite the fact being in GM or better as a one trick should prove your VERY good at that hero… Still if just one person reports you every game, thats dozens if not hundreds of reports a day. Your going to be banned a couple times before you get put on the “special list”. You know the list of people Blizzard either ignores the complaints against or actually investigates the reports first.

Mostly it’s big time streamers on that list but meh.

1 Like

Its been stated 10000 times that its not but the people in charge of handling false reports seem to not care.

Its like Target establishing a return policy and the employee at customer service following whatever they feel like. Nobody is ever held accountable.

9 Likes

It depends. The game says no. Blizzard says no on the forums and in other official communication. However, multiple people in Blizzard support say yes. Their actions with bans also clearly say yes.

So yeah. They don’t want to admit it, but the answer is yes.

7 Likes

Refusing to switch is not gameplay sabotage in and of itself.

Someone might select a character to feed or troll and then refuse to switch when asked - In this scenario they are sabotaging the game but it’s the actions they take with the hero that is the sabotage not the refusal to switch in and of itself.

If someone refuses to switch but with their pick tries to their own best extent to win the game with their hero then they are not sabotaging the game - They are just not skilled enough to either identify the switch as necessary or not skilled enough to play other characters - When you lose because someone is not skilled enough, that’s just life in online games.

It’s more about intention and how you communicate with your team the intention, if people only see your actions as trolling and there is nothing reassuring them that you are not then they are just going to assume the worst.

I have to be honest though, it’s a little odd to me that refusing to communicate is reportable when the punishment for some offenses is to be muted - that means if you get muted then you are now also setup by the system to be reported for not communicating.

7 Likes

No, there is a difficulty in proving that the person being asked to switch was the issue in the first place, also whether them changing would even effect the outcome etc. You can’t prove demonstrably any sort of sabotage in this case. Sabotage is a very strong word to use for something like one tricking. Trolling with sym teleporters, purposefully killing yourself by jumping off the edge repeatedly etc is what I’d regard as “sabotage”

2 Likes

it doesnt matter if it is sabotage or not people will report onetricks regardless and blizzard will ban without reading the reports

1 Like

No, according to blue posts.

But the system doesn’t care if the reports are false or not. The automated system only cares if you get enough reports, that’s all.

3 Likes

According to blizzard yes, but personally I don’t think so, most people ask for switching because of heroe prejudice, for example I main symmetra, and most of the time people ask me to switch because of their opinions on the character ( which kinda shows how unbalanced the game truly is, since players judge characters not balanced because of “meta charges” but because they are considered not good in the general gameplay)

2 Likes

Oh, yes, you were. They violate their own rules constantly. To that end, it is not against the rules to refuse to communicate either. Sorry that happened to you. Really surprised you were not hit with the “disruptive game-play” tagline. I guess it shows they cared enough to give you a semi-unique message.

They say one tricking isn’t bannable but we all know that’s just blizzard saying things they probably will still ban you for one tricking. Speaking of which hero do you 1 trick I torb trick

Short answer: it’s not

Another short answer: Lol no

That’s why I see the overwatch team as blizzards biggest embarrassment they lock cosmetics behind esport pay walls fail reworks ban for no apparent reason and don’t even keep patch notes it’s ridiculous

1 Like

To give some advice you shouldn’t really join voice chat if you are reported the automated system will believe if you’re reported for toxicity that it is true while not joining the system acknowledges you weren’t in voice

I find it very hypocritical that Blizzard with ban Torb, Sym, Bastion, one tricks, but Genji one tricks, Zarya one tricks, etc. Won’t get banned.
(Not saying they should)

2 Likes

No. As long as you’re trying to win on your best hero, especially when being countered, then it’s fine. You can’t have every game being uncontested but can at least try to play around with your counter. Still have some heroes as your backup if your hero you mostly play is taken.

Not sabotage, but putting the team at a disadvantage because the game revolves around switching.
If you can only play one thing good, that’s YOUR fault for no trying to learn more hero diversity.

2 Likes

Yeah the worst of 1 tricking is even if Blizz doesn’t punish you just reading text chat and listening to voice chat ( at least for me) is so hard with all the people saying kys you suck everyone hates you etc etc the fact that it happens so much to a point where it’s every game and I find it normal is absolutely terrible and it’s more likely to happen to 1 tricks

What if we one tricks don’t like the other heroes? We should have to suffer playing heroes we hate bc we don’t enjoy other characters

1 Like