Rank Shaming on the Forums and in Overwatch

Being told , “hes a gold player nothing to see here” or “you’re a plat player, what do you know”

Just because i’m a plat player and not in the top 1% of the player base does not mean my opinions or arguments are somehow lesser than yours. Just because i dont have a high number or a shiny image displaying means that what i say is somehow less validated. This elitist bull crap is so disgusting and does not help anybody. It doesn’t not help lower-than-you ranked players understand your own arguments, it doesn’t incite any interesting conversations or helpful discussions.
I’ve heard constant times that we should listen to gm players because “they know more than you”, that may be true, but just because they have more knowledge of how to play in their rank doesn’t mean their “knowledge” or “experience” is the same as everyone else’s perspective.

There are many reasons for why alot of the playerbase is stuck in their rank
bad matchmaking
bad positioning
bad or low map knowledge
etc

there are hundreds of players that have the COMPLETE opposite of these and yet they are still stuck in their rank.
sometimes your having a bad day in comp, sometimes your having a good day and climb

just because the players that are upset about the nerfs to supports are below gm doesn’t mean their complaints or opinions are less valid because of their low rank. its such a dismissive and arrogant thing to say.

I myself have said i dont care about the opinions of gm players, i have never seen them once state their concerns for players below their rank, i could be wrong, state otherwise if i am wrong.

The reactions to upset support players about brig like, “she was broken in GM” “low rank players are mad LoL” is doing nothing but splitting the player base and will only cause more people to leave if their opinions are shut out because of their rank.

for example

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/why-should-i-care-about-what-the-top-1-has-to-say/518697/31

Fine. I'll Say It

I will end it here by saying this, just because you are at a higher rank, does not mean that i or others’s opinions are somehow less or we have less knowledge of the game.

Elitism. Must. Die

61 Likes

what i hate is when people expect a hero to be viable at every rank, and then say the devs only balance around OWL. if we buff dva to much now Owl would be unbalanced and one sided and the reverse with genji.

3 Likes

Honestly the opinion of gold players is more relevant than the top 1%. As most of the player base can actually relate to the gold players opinion

28 Likes

Obviously we shame based on profile pictures not rank lmao

8 Likes

agree i must angry yoda noises

1 Like

Rank Shaming will always be dropped on discussions about skill and balances to heroes. The most “shaming” part is when those dudes who Rank Shame others … have Private Profiles themselves.

Great huh? :smiley:

11 Likes

It would help if when discussing balance, players deliberately labeled/narrowed their opinions to a certain rank. It’s just fact that what you can get away with in gold doesn’t match up with GM. You guys are literally playing different games. So that dude that rank shamed you about Brig is playing in a rank where she’s oppressive as heck, and you telling him she’s fine in your world doesn’t register. It’s not correct to use rank as a means to belittle an argument, but it is an important factor when discussing balance, especially on a hero who plays differently at different ranks.

3 Likes

“Just because I’m not a surgeon doesn’t mean my surgery advice is somehow lesser than a surgeon’s”

No one should think less of you as a person for whatever rank you are but it is important to not overestimate your own expertise.

12 Likes

Exactly.

Just because someones GM and knows how to do the shooty shoot good in a video game doesn’t mean they’re a master game developer. Overwatch was made by developers around mid plat.

Game went down hill the moment they took advice from pros in their discord when OWL began.

So if theres a lesson to learn, being pro does not mean you’re a game dev. Though, all opinions are valid, even the incredibly dumb ones that call out for Bastion nerfs

18 Likes

That’s a false equivalence. As prestigious as GM is, if I can call it that, neither the GM player nor the gold player are authorities on the subject of OW as a whole. It would be more appropriate to compare upperclassmen and underclassmen.

2 Likes

ofcourse, im in agreement that heroes work on different ranks but im in disagreement for the dismissive attitude that some people in high ranks have when they have told others like me to “shut up and just get gud” and yet they have a hard time dealing with a brig. Conversations NEED to happen, but a gold or plat or diamond player’s opinions shouldnt be shunned because of their rank, when they could potentially have more knowledge of said hero.

GM isn’t high enough, needs to be OWL.

The irony, is when a lower rank tries to justify nerfing/buffing a hero based on their GM win%.

1 Like

My profile is a cute squid and im the most toxic genji one trick, excuse me genji enthusiast ever.

1 Like

OP is 100% discussing ladder. OWL is, like that surgeon analogy, not a layman’s world. GM still is, that was my point.

Does rank sometimes lead to someones opinion to be misinformed? Absolutely.

Is someones rank reason to dismiss their opinion? Absolutely not. It’s lazy intellectually. If there’s a problem with their reasoning it should be easy to explain why.

If it’s too difficult that you need to resort to rank shaming then maybe you need to reconsider the validity of your opinions.

7 Likes

You care to know why this happens?
Well here are some reasons:
1- We all play on plat on smurf accounts with friends or solo when we wanna chill cause not everyone is in the mood to tryhard all the time and when that happens, Masters and GMs get randomly flamed by plats who need someone to throw their blame on without knowing what’s actually happening around them and seeing the full image, Tanks blame dps for no damage when dps has to stay behind cover due to lack of healing, and lack of healing is cause supports are being stomped by a DF without getting peeled, it goes a full circle but the only good thing plats are fascinating at is flame and blame without noticing their own mistakes and trying to find solutions during the game.
2- Which leads to the 2nd point, people in those ranks don’t know the capabilities of their or other heroes, they see a smurf Widow pocketed by a Mercy and bubbled by the Zarya and want the Genji to solo her without assisting him in any way, ‘Hey Genji go kill Widow’ 2 minutes later ‘Omg you couldn’t solo a pocketed Widow you’re trash’. That game doesn’t work that way, and a bunch just want wins handed to them or else they flame cause why not? I’m on the internet I can do anything.
3- Lack of gamesense and understanding of ult management yadayada and all that good stuff which you probably heard a hundred times so far, but you heard it for a reason nonetheless.
4- A vast majority in those ranks and self righteous and can’t fathom the thought of being wrong ingame, I mean try to improve instead of spending your day flaming your team mates.
5- They are the only ones who try hard in the game (or if they queue with a premade that person is the only other person trying with them) without seeing the bigger image and what’s going on from another person’s perspective.
Hard to swallow pill but be sure those are ones of the major reasons for that.
Maybe it’s time to be nice to one another, I’m not saying sunshine and rainbows but a little respect goes along the way…
TLDR: A very Self centered/Narrow visioned/Toxic SR bracket… So I wouldn’t expect to be treated well if I’m from there when a vast majority representing my bracket is being offensive in every way to others without knowing their background and just to blow off some steam
THAT my friend is why people rank shame low diamonds, plats and high golds.
Have a lovely day <3

4 Likes
  1. lets looks at the perspective here, your a gm player that decided to smurf and play with others that are trying much harder to rise above their rank, you on the other hand joined so you can have a more relaxed and chill time. see the conflicting issue here?

2. I agree that SOME plat/diamond players do some really stupid sh&$ but to say that all of them do this is a bit ignorant and generalizing.

3. i have seen many matches where gm or above players have screwed up and have done the exact thing you complain about, again this seems to be another generalization

4. I mean, im a plat player and i actively move away from flaming my teammates and learn from some of the dumba$$ stuff i do, and so do other plat players. Not everyone in plat or diamond or low gold just blindly blames their teammates,i mean i can say the exact same for gm and higher based on what ive seen regarding samito, xqc, and emongg’s streams.

5." 5- They are the only ones who try hard in the game (or if they queue with a premade that person is the only other person trying with them) without seeing the bigger image and what’s going on from another person’s perspective."

going by what youve said, youre not taking into account the perspective of those who you’ve just described and made general assumptions that i personally dont agree with.

This just seems like youve had a bad run in with players from the lower ranks but i can assure you that this perspective can be the complete opposite for me and others that are or arent smurfs.

3 Likes

Amen and thanks for the mention @ChaosTheNerd. :blue_heart:

1 Like

your welcome, again im sorry youve had such a hard time on support man. :+1:

1 Like