Random fps drops (big topic)

@blizzard Fix your crappy game, when thousands and thousands complain of this FPS drop… Its clearly on your end. You’re killing this game, and future purchases from your company

6 Likes

In order to fix the problem, they have to figure out whats causing the problem. Its not just a switch they can flick to make all of our problems go away. Im frustrated as well, ive been having problems since late January. I can’t even play comp anymore because I know my game is just going to lag like crazy. All we can do is work with Blizz as much as possible and try to figure out what exactly is causing so many issues for so many people.

1 Like

Thank you all for being here on this forum. I did run Hardware monitor (Free edition), as I am broke. The discrepancies that I would see on HW monitor are NOT showing anything that would raise my suspicion as a former PC technician to warrant this discussion being a Hardware Fault. I don’t see this type of software behavior in any of my other games that I own.

If I did see such an issue. I would be changing out the defective part readily and quickly. As there is no sense in bothering a programmer(s) on such an issue. I have exhausted all of what I would/can do on my end at this point and just have to live with this issue of seeing my frame rate crash from a 160FPS to a hard hit at 60FPS that dips that low.

The only matter that peaks my interest, is the issue that revolves around anything is SIM in the game. When it spikes, the Frame rates drop. I can’t say that adjustments to the graphics prevents this problem from occurring any quicker or slower on any setting at this point.

I do wish this WAS a hardware issue for me, because then I could change the part and be done. INfact, when this FIRST started for me in November. I did JUST that. I changed EVERY part out. Including a new power supply. I took the old parts and sold them ALL off. As well as purchasing a new operating system. Thinking it was something in there that I wasn’t catching. Yes, I made 90% of my money back, but the problem still exists now, just the same way it did before.

I just don’t see these issues in other games, PERIOD.

Anyway, I am leaving this as “unsolved” for me. I don’t see the need to continue the discussion any further now.

What I find a bit odd is that your GPU temp, when rendering at 150-200fps, is still around 30C, and never seems to move much from this value. Are you running a really good water cooling system? Otherwise there’s something wrong with the temp readings, in which case you’re probably looking at overheating issues, which often manifest just the way you describe. Overclocking your GPU and GDDR can also look just like this. Is that something you’ve done?

Yes I have a fluid cooling system that I invested around 500 bucks into it alone.

My Fluid cooling system has served at least 6 cards in the past 5 years and 3 CPUs. I never ever saw those temps above 34C. This computer sits in my office which is temperature controlled year-round at a constant 67F and a GIANT 360mm radiator with those Corsair Static pressure fans. I have gone OVERBOARD on the whole fluid cooling system.

We are talking about a Laing D5 pump, and plenty of stuff from koolance in there. I put lots of money into the cooling alone, to keep my parts nice and Cool. They work so much better compared to air cooling when it comes to long periods of gaming, and NO. I don’t overclock stuff, it’s too hard on components, if you want them to deliver consistent performance, NEVER Overclock. I know those GTX 1060s come with FTW+, but I am not going to mess with their factory settings.

• Yes, the blocks are equally torqued to the card with all of the appropriate thermal padding in place, in such a way that I do an even-seating of the blocks to the components, so nothing has a “hot spot”.

• My Processor has Intel turbo boost turned OFF. I don’t think that boosting a processor is the wisest idea out there. Yes, you get higher frame-rates, but it’s not worth ruining something.

• Same goes for my RAM stick. I don’t see the necessity to run it at “factory overclock”.

**** I do run only one ram stick. I’ve noticed that many modern RAM sticks manufactured today have MORE issues in dual-channel mode for delivering consistency. As one stick runs slightly faster than the other, which causes MAJOR issues. There is a HUGE article out there on this, published by a reputable PC source. ***

Taking all of my parts down to “less stressful” tweaks, allows for SMOOTH and blissful performance. I don’t like choppy gameplay and this is why I posted in this thread in the firstplace that overwatch isn’t Smooth. It’s choppy. My other games which is MUCH more graphics intense, such as Tom Clancy Wildlands. It doesn’t do this to me. AT ALL. NONE of my games do. Only Overwatch. That is what boggles my mind.

In my ABSOLUTE professional opinion…IT IS something with how this game interfaces with graphics drivers and the graphics engine software itself. It’s either a frame rendering issue, where pre-rendered frames aren’t playing correctly, and the driver built into Nvidia uses some sort of “error correction” checksum. This checksum must be an event that is TRIGGERED, which is why it doesn’t happen until time continues. I read alot of different foot-notes on this and I keep seeing the words “memory leak” from my old college programming text books, and all the fun stuff that is about graphics engines for gaming. I mean I HONESTLY would say that IF it was a hardware issues, I would see this on ALL of my games and this alone would throw up a big red flag that says “time to start pulling components”.

I don’t see any current windows patches that address this, it’s all of this bloatware that they keep piling on, and no hotfix that points the compass of troubleshooting, into the right direction. I literally thumbed through hundreds of fixes and updates on their Repository website for MSDN and I do NOT see anything that would say otherwise.

Your thoughts on the implementation details regarding engine/driver don’t make sense at all, and this comes from someone with 25+ years of experience of game development (specifically real-time rendering) and ~20 years of driver development experience :slight_smile:
The engine does not handle any “pre-rendering” in the way you’re talking about, but simply presents the back buffer to the display as soon as it’s done rendering it. It does a lot of rendering to other render targets, before composing the final image, but the only step that could cause the fullscreen pixellization you mention is the post-processing, where blooms etc, and display scaling is done. Particularly, it could be either render scaling, or something with texture compression. Both of these are performed by the driver and GPU though, not by the engine.

Try running at the ‘low’ video preset, and set render scale to 100%. See if that has any effect.

The other thing I’m thinking is overlays, and this includes especially ShadowPlay and Ansel. Both of these will affect the render pipeline in different stages, and there’s actually been issues with Overwatch specifically. The Geforce drivers have “hacks” specific to most larger games, in order to increase performance. It is far from unthinkable that OW-specific tweaks may cause issues with these technologies enabled. Try disabling both.

There’s been two Geforce driver updates in a couple of weeks, resolving several OW-related issues. The last one dropped these last couple of days. Get it, and perform a clean install, removing all components when updating.

And finally, updates in Windows 10 aren’t done as in previous versions. Every new “refresh” is a new Windows version, with major changes to every part of the OS, including the kernel. You can no longer cherry-pick updates, and the fact is your version of Windows is no longer supported. So update to atleast 1709, as a lot of vendors will actually not perform testing on older builds. It does strike me as a bit odd that you’re still on such an old version, as these roll out automatically. Unless you’ve done something “hackish” to disable it. And those hacks often have unforeseen consequences. So other than updating to the spring update, remove any “tweaks” you’ve made to stop updates from rolling out. And this recommendation is based on things I learn from working with two world renowned Windows Deployment MVPs. I’ve learned to trust them in these matters, and so should you :wink:

So really, update your OS, update your drivers, disable overlays and driver tech such as Shadowplay, Ansel, Steam, and everything else. And I’m sure it’ll work.

Everyone always says “update windows” as it fixes things. For as long as I have dealt with windows, it breaks stuff. and my games that are even “more new” than Overwatch. They play JUST fine or I would be going and doing an update.

When I update windows 10, it breaks the thing more than helps it. I find that it harms the computer’s performance considerably more. I’ve ran this same game on a FULLY patched environment on the same box (all factory stuff left in place) and the thing runs like total garbage. My tweaked system, on my other Hard drive. Has made this game manageable. and it SCREAMS performance.

Registery-wise. Yes, I went into the registery and pulled that registery APART. Everything from editing registery entries to “pulling the plug” from out the back of my windows 10 copy. I don’t allow microsoft to have a constant connection to my pc through my physical firewall, (as they do NOT pay for the bandwith and I quite frankly don’t like the new SICKOS that run Microsoft). When B. gates ran that company he did a fine job. Smart man, and he kept a tight ship.

Yes, on my heavily moded box. I have removed the update services all together. (it took a few many moons to do this too). Im proud of what I have done. I want PURE FPS power, and not a single thing happening, to hamper my gameplay.

When I do this stuff, it is reactive DDX’ing. I go from a FUll patch, and begin to back things down, and start chipping away, trying to scrounge for enough of a way to find what I want. Picking away stuff fixes it. Adding stuff harms it. NO I do not use third party junk for gaming. I believe in FAIR gaming, and LOVE a good match. I don’t mod games and dont’ download ANYTHING. My friends find my computer to be rather “BORING” as it is an empty shell :slight_smile: .

NO, it’s not going to make my computer any “safer” with or without those patches. I did CPT training in College for Security +, and not a single windows update will ever prevent an attack. EVER. ( I wont write details on here, as it is best those whom know what I am talking about, understand we have to keep this private). Even if there was one type of attack, there is another way around. Always. Physical firewalls do a considerably better job. (PIX, Watchguard, smooth, PFSense). Compared to any Operating system patch there ever was.

Yes, I use linux from time to time, but not with this game. However, I don’t like the plethora of steps required just to run something :slight_smile: .

Well I will check out the newest patch for Nvidia, and see what it has to offer then.

For me personally using the latest Nvidia driver (397.64 I think?) along with ensuring ‘disable full screen optimizations’ is active, mitigated any frame issues I was having. Mine was dipping from 300 to 100fps with ‘disable fullscreen optimizations’ disabled. I’m on Windows 10 1803. I still have SIM spikes in the training grounds but no frame issues. If i downgrade to Windows 10 1511 or 1607 (with no updates) the SIM spikes go away. But the spikes don’t really seem to affect anything for me as they’re low. I’ll keep testing to ensure my issues are gone but so far so good.

I’m sure there’s still issues with Overwatch itself but the incredibly obvious ones are gone for the time being for me.

1 Like

What you’re describing is something that worked a lot better with older versions of Windows. Windows 10 major updates are like doing an in-place upgrade to a new VERSION of an operating system. Would you do an in-place upgrade from Win7 to Win8, and then start restoring invididual files and settings, expecting the system to be stable?

The fact other games run fine doesn’t mean Overwatch is the reason for Overwatch not running well on your system. If you’ve started tearing up a system you don’t really understand, you’ve pretty much waved goodbye to any demands you could make for the devs of anything to make it run properly on it.

Swap out your disk, stick in a new one, and make a clean install of Windows, with the latest drivers. See if it works better. If not, you know what your problem is; your customizations.

I’ve got two hard drives with the same license on them. I swap drives for testing purposes. Please note, both drives are NOT plugged in at the same time. They are cloned on Zero day, and then go on.

Drive #1 Windows 10. Fully patched, no mods.

Drive #2 Windows 10. NO patches, the operating system is modded beyond conventional belief.

My scenarios:

Drive #1 playing overwatch. Runs ULTRA choppy. OS runs ultra slow, game runs very very bad. So do the rest of my games. What a shame. Not a fun system to use.

Hard drive is swapped out, and Drive #2 is plugged in…

Drive #2. Playing overwatch. Runs fairly good, gets random hangs from what I have described, and FPS drops. The rest of my games run fine. Never had issues.

No I do not run windows 8 or 7.

Yes, I understand operating systems just fine thank you very much. Please don’t use offensive statements when you didn’t fully read the rest of the posts or understand what line of work I’ve been in. For privacy reasons on the forum I won’t send you my resume.

What part of “Random FPS” drops do you not understand? If there IS an issue, AN ISSUE, of what I have done to my computer and my game. The game would NOT run in the first place. PERIOD. It would LOCK up, it would stop functioning and it wouldn’t even start the program in the first place! It would come up with an IMMEDIATE error message that states the problem. I’ve delt with ENOUGh programs to know when something does or does not work.

To summarize this. Go read about other people’s issues with Random FPS drop and answer their questions for them. You seem to be such a knowledgeable individual. They can use a Comp TIA person such as yourself troubleshooting their problems.

I don’t have a single certification :frowning: I do however work quite extensibly with driver development and Windows internals.

But alright, I’ll leave you to your tinkering.

I think the sim spike is not a bug, if it is, blizzard would check it

but is it only me that had the feeling of floaty mouse or mouse slowness when killfeed showed up?

I’ve heard it several times, but haven’t noticed it myself.

is there any fix for my floaty mouse or mouse slowness?

Yeah I have my Kill feed turned off completely which isn’t ideal, but that gets rid of some sim spikes. No fix that I know of.

Hey again Dasaries,

I checked all this out, and wanted to remind you that the information I’m requesting here is diagnostic. I’m trying to get a better picture of what your machine is doing compared to others. Unfortunately you’ve already done so much that I really need the things I requested earlier to go further. How you handle this is ultimately going to be up to you, but without the diagnostic information I requested earlier, we’re basically tapped on ideas. I trust that you know what you’re doing, but keep in mind that we work with our games/engines full time. We’re more familiar with the quirks/intricacies and ways it’ll stress your system. It’s too big a conversation to have on the forums, which is why I’d like this information in hopes that we figure things out. If there is some kind of bug, we’ll need the information to rule out tech issues as well.

Again, if you toss me that information on this thread I’ll be happy to check it out. Good luck whatever you do choose from here.

Hey, I really don’t have much of a resource to submit all these logs to you. I’d need an official way to do so. The rest of these services that would allow me to, charge money or require 3rd party accounts to do so. I really do not trust third party accounts as they can have lapses of security from time to time.

If you can find a system which I can submit all of my recorded games through a file system. I’d be happy to submit them to you!

Thank you!

-Das

Dasaries,

Are they small enough to email / google drive? If so, you can send them to techinfo@blizzard.com with the subject Attn: Drakuloth - Dasaries FPS issues

I have it fully solved now. No issues. Clean slate. I got it.

So what I did was I found someone on youtube that plays up there in Grand Master rank. I asked the guy for his settings. He has one of those GTX 1080 cards. Which are MASSIVE. SO I figured if this guy is having to play comp for a spot just under Top 500, hes gotta know his hardware.

The fix to it, is in the game’s settings. I guess A person has to set textures to “HIGH”, Render scale to “100%” and then the rest of the settings to LOW or OFF. NO more issues and I get my frame-rates that aren’t jumping around now. I que’d up for comp today and was able to play it without worrying that I would jeopardize my score in the game or someone else’s.

The only discrepancy was “model detail” which really has to be “medium”. My monitor isn’t the greatest gaming monitor in the world. So I have to kinda work for it. Its not exactly easy to see some details with it.

-Cheers.

Dasaries,

In response to your reply in the other thread, I’m bumping this topic so we can keep things cohesive. I pulled up your blogspot catalog of the problem. Looking at your screenshots, there’s some really weird throttling going on in them. Your SIM delay goes nuts and your computer seems to completely cease processing the game’s packets for some reason, but it doesn’t seem to be losing them from the servers.

I know you looked over the HWmonitor yourself, but I’m still curious about it because I’d like to see exactly how the PC is behaving with that information. Can you please email the information I requested a few months ago at this post or upload the pics to your blogspot? It’d also help if you can post the link to results of a userbenchmark for your PC.

If you want to go the email route, I put some instructions here.