Rally has a misleading mechanic, it's actually very broken

I dont think its an issue, specially looking at Zen and Lucio’s ults.
I would say its working as intended.

6 Likes

Reducing 20% more damage than it implies is working as intended to you? You can’t find this data anywhere in any patch notes and that counts as working as intended?

2 Likes

This is true but there is a difference between intentionally strong and unintentionally strong.

If this is an unintended bug then fixing it is definitely worthwhile but that doesn’t mean the devs have to just leave it there - If the fixed version is now too weak they can make it stronger.

It’s still not clear however if this was intended or unintended - I think it sounds obscure enough that most of us will assume unintended.

1 Like

Wait.

So you’re telling me Reaper can STILL shadowstep to unintended places? :eyes:

4 Likes

It does not look working as intended to me. Stacking mechanics are common in many games and often lead this type of bug. Mass Effect 3 for instance went bananas when you stacked different type of DoTs.

Only the devs know for sure though.

It’s also not Brig specific.

Any hero that has armor that obtains more armor gets it. So for example Torb can currently trigger it to.

It’s also somewhat less impactful than people may be thinking.

Brig at a maximum provides 20 layers of armor.

Multiple layers of armor only will be applied if a layer is destroyed.

So, the maximum amount of directly extra mitigated damage is like 60. Indirectly, you’ll take more of a hit than that on some heroes as it will mean your damage will be getting mitigated by armor for longer.

The reasoning may not be brig specific, but is significantly more powerful with Brig. It also shows a large reason why, despite what many on the forum may believe, sustained damage heroes are very bad.

It shows why on paper it sounds somewhat weak but is in fact quite strong especially against many tick low damage heroes

2 Likes

You couldnt found any data specific to Sym ticks compared to Winston and yet they had an adjustment.
Also using big percentages might sound fancy and “huge” but when the baseline for reduction is 3, the actual impact in game falls under the “meh” category.

Let me remind you that they reduced by 90% the damage of one of her skills, after a nerf that breaks the inconsistency of melee skills going through shields for the entire game (literally breaking the skill).

So yeah, we all can do that. Not that big of an issue, just chill.

3 Likes

Yes and that was fixed. This should be fixed as well. Considering how trash sustained damage is at the high end, you can claim it’s meh but the numbers simply show that it is not. This is a huge issue because it messes over many heroes.

Yeah her damage on shield bash was reduced by 90% because she was overpowered. Similarly this is doing way more than intended and should also be fixed. Bringing up her nerfs doesn’t change the fact that this should not work like this and attempting to diminish it by saying stuff like

“Also using big percentages might sound fancy and “huge” but when the baseline for reduction is 3, the actual impact in game falls under the “meh” category.”

Doesn’t change the fact that this has huge effects on the game as shown by high level play and how very little dies during Rally especially against sustained DPS despite it not being so on paper

Not suprised that someone would try and make this seem like less of a big deal than it is. Afterall people around here defended release Brig

Also let’s not forget this is without the inspire or repair pack or anything else. So it explains why she is so very survivable in rally beyond what makes sense

10 Likes

Reddit post pointed out there’s a cap of 15 layers per player, so it’s 45 reduction max not 60.

2 Likes

I think you might have a higher chance of getting it changed by going at it in a general way rather than specific unless they intend to rework Brig. She’s got a low pickrate at the present and has been nerfed repeatedly so going for it again at just her might not happen depending on how they balance. (For example, if healer x ability is healing more than the healer is supposed to but, the overall result is where you want it to be you might not change it)

Additionally, this bug being fixed assuming it doesn’t get changed more is going to help both burst and sustained users.

Burst users would normally lose 3 damage vs armor and they are instead losing more in the 20’s.

Burst users may also suffer more losses from bleed over than some of the sustained users.

For example, Soldier 76 does 20 damage per bullet. If the first armor he hits is full and intact it mitigates 3 damage then absorbs 15 of the remaining 17. This leaves 2 damage to go on to the next armor section. As armor will eat a maximum of 50% of the damage the second armor eats 1 damage.

76 can also get unlucky and hit a target with 11 armor left out of the 15. He’ll have 3 damage mitigated then absorb 11 of the remaining 17 leaving 6 damage to go to the second armor and he’ll have 3 more get eaten.

I’m kind of curious if the bug does anything to beam users or not. My impression was armor now dropped them by % instead of value vs beam.

I think it’s 15 at a time not 15 total but, I could be wrong. If I’m right you could have 15 have the 15 break then have 5 more break.

Realistically, it’s not going to happen that way.

1 Like

Hey, they finally figured out the actual broken aspect of Brigitte. Maybe they can fix this now and begin to buff her back up to at least be viable in a 2 support comp.

1 Like

I’m kind of curious if the bug does anything to beam users or not. My impression was armor now dropped them by % instead of value vs beam.

I’m curious as well because it might possibly apply the 20% per piece.

Additionally, this bug being fixed assuming it doesn’t get changed more is going to help both burst and sustained users.

That is true but it should give the sustained the help they need without more buffs and give cause to nerf burst if needed.

Realistically, it’s not going to happen that way.

I’d say that depends on what you’re fighting against. Say you are fighting against heroes like Tracer, Reaper,Hog etc with their many ticks, it could happen because the armour may take a chip of damage then shields or other damage mitigation can happen and then it’s more layers.

Or like Soldier bleeds strips a layer with one shot and then it bleeds into the next layer which means more stacks. In fact I think that’s what happens frequently. Which would explain why it is so powerful in practice

You know, everyone here, not only you.
Pickrate of Brig is lower, not really low. But she doesn’t take much skill to do well, which is reflected in the since release highest win rate without torb and sym. Even now, as the winrate of Orisa sky rockets, Brig is still too big in that regard for the low input she needs

Getting all 20 ticks to trigger would require the player to take enough damage to keep themselves below the 100 fortified armor max for the entire duration of the Rally while also not dying. It’s not impossible but, I wouldn’t consider it to be the normal experience. The players that trigger it pre-fight would be wasting ticks by putting it up too early and the people that activate it mid fight would waste ticks sometimes by having the player die.

To put it in a time perspective, Brig is potentially mitigating an unintended 6-12 damage per second on the generous side. This getting fixed isn’t going to necessarily have the impact people are hoping for.

1 Like

This is good tho. Her being an off healer like zen and lucio, means she is the only one without a very powerful defense ult. Rally should be every strong

1 Like

The worst support ult is slightly less terrible than we thought. Ok hooray?

6 Likes

This also explains why Brig’s ult has such inconsistent results. Sometimes she feels like an unstoppable flail machine, but other times during Rally Brigitte gets wrecked faster than she can raise her shield. It all comes down to what kind of damage hit her and when, rather than how much damage hit her.

1 Like

More like “Brig isn’t allowed to exist because reasons.” I usually die instantly when I Rally because people realize that the best way to deal with it is to just kill Brig before it can finish. I have yet to become literally invincible.

It’s interesting to see that narrative come back though.

Except now everyone says Repair Pack was the issue all along and that the Tracer one-shot combo didn’t invalidate Tracer. But I just knew that as soon as there was something else to complain about, people would change their tune for the 20th time. This just goes to show that the community will literally never stop complaining about Brig no matter what happens to her. As soon as something is “fixed,” something else conveniently becomes the “”""“REAL”""""" problem. Thank you for proving me completely correct on this. Thank you for proving that the anti-Brig community is logically bankerupt.

Earthshatter is lightyears more impactful in high level play, gut Rein and throw him in the trash. This is how this works right? Apply your logic consistently, come on now.

So how about that Earthshatter nerf? Not surprised someone would make this seem like less of a big deal. After all people around here defend Rein when he’s a must pick. Do you see any issues at all in this type of argument here?

4 Likes

I’ve seen her die quite quickly and easily after using rally…

3 Likes