😡 Why are Symmetra players Angry at the "Rework"?

On the other hand, you also reach a lot more players that contribute with other aspects, but that avoid FPS em general because they can’t aim really well. Symmetra isn’t the only hero that requires minimal aim, and being able to aim isn’t the final step in becoming a great Overwatch player.

We don’t know the final range of the beam, but if its close to Zarya or Moira, Symmetra don’t have the tools or HP to survive at that distance for long. Zarya have more HP and her Bubble. Moira have self-healing on her beam and Fade. Symmetra have ammo regeneration. Woo!

So, by that metric, Zenyatta balls and Genji shurikens are also the same thing, since they are straight fast projectiles with no gravity arc. Actually, cross that. They are more similar than the way Sym orb behave now and the way Sym orb behave in the proposal.

Maybe we can reach a happy medium point with the devs, give it back the piercing properties (maybe with reduced damage to pay for the extra speed), and keep the explosion only when it hits a solid surface.

I’m actually happy that you can still recognize Symmetra in the new hero. I can’t. Sorry.

2 Likes

No, but its a skill that transfers over to more of the cast than the reverse. There are only a handful of heroes with lock on. Even Moira’s lockon is less generous than Sym’s. And yes, while it allowed them to contribute, if for whatever reason, they weren’t able to play as that hero, it could lead to other problems. Especially if they one tricked.

Sym also has a team that can help her.

Zen’s balls can charge, yes. Genji’s shurikens can not. Though I wouldn’t mind that compromise personally. Its the sorta thing I was hoping Sym would have, or at least be able to detonate the shot manually.

I know, but its really not that hard. She has a lot of the core features that made her unique, sans lock on.

Not really. Even within heroes that require aim, there is enough diversity that the aiming style is different. The skill required to play a good McCree is different than the one to play a good Sombra, Pharah, Hanzo or Reaper. On hitscan, tracking x flicking is a huge difference, and on projectile heroes, projectile speed and arcing projectiles rarely transfer between heroes.

IMO, the only direct transfers on aiming are betwen McCree/Widowmaker, Soldier/Bastion and Tracer/Sombra.

Whole game concepts like team synergy, positioning, map knowledge, enemy reading, cooldown/ult tracking and general game sense are much better skills to work on, and are actually useful for literally every hero in the game. Aim as a skill is severely overrated in Overwatch.

I myself don’t care about the lock-on on itself. I play Torb and Orisa, I can aim if needed.

But by the way I see the game, I see five abilities being remade from the ground up, to work very differently than they work right now, and the only ability that kinda resembles her original kit (turrets) is also reworked to the point that all the knowledge you earned by learning proper turret placement will be deleted and we have to start from scratch again.

Which is why I think this rework is more akin to deleting Symmetra from the game, and giving Hero 28 all her cosmetics. If you can still see Symmetra on that hero, I’m really envious of you because I want to believe my favorite hero is not being substituted because people cried her out of the game.

2 Likes

The point of the rework is that Symmetra stops being bad.

She had TWO main flaws that prevented her from doing the defending (she should NEVER have been support in the first place since she was about zone denial…)

First she needed to farm her teleporter before she could do anything significant and get value.

NOW she can deploy her tele INSTANTLY and set it up like…you know, a proper builder.

Her melee weapon was never her main draw and the fact she needed to not get instantly dove on in order to farm her ult and be useful was the only reason why she is basically never used in GM.

Now she becomes more viable in every sense of the word, her photon barrier was basically pointless its cooldown is way too long and its not wide enough to warrant the replacement for a char like say…Reinhardt.

Also her new ultimate lets her actually set up a defensive perimeter where its relevant instead of giving her team a dummy you need to seek out and destroy.

Her orbs exploding also give her an interesting amount of crowd control and her throwable turrets make a good in-the-heat-of-the-moment placements.

I´d say the Symmetra rework is a good one, tbh.

1 Like

She still has a photon projector beam
She still has energy ball
She still has sentry turrets
She still has teleporter
She still has photon barrier

She’s still Symmetra for crying out loud. They’re taking every aspect of her and making it better / more versatile because in her current iteration she’s very very bad and countered by over half the cast.

She’s going to actually counter certain heroes now and give consistent support in the form of Teleporter for mobility to high ground and her new photon barrier will be AMAZING for team fights.

I’m tired of people saying she’s no longer Symmetra anymore, they’ve literally kept so many things about her the same, just changed how they work her identity is still very much intact.

The only thing that was removed was Shield Generator and that’s okay by me. It could be destroyed in under 2 seconds by certain characters and no matter how well you hid it or guarded it its destruction was always inevitable against good players.

Seriously if you think the new Symmetra is a slap in the face then okay. Sorry but as a diehard Symmetra main who loves her character I can’t wait for these changes. I thank Blizzard for going out of their way to make her viable and versatile and actually work as a team player. I’m really looking forward to her reputation being repaired over time and not getting reported just for picking her in comp. PLUS like I said Blizzard is trying very hard to keep all of these aspects of her intact. She’s still a builder and now she’s going to be a high DPS defense hero which is technically what everyone asked for since the vast majority of the Sym community was extremely opposed to her being able to heal.

So, if we give Widowmaker a rocket launcher, but name it “Widow’s Kiss”, it means she have the same weapon?

2 Likes

It’s going to be good.
Symmetra will be able to kill the shields that easily.

You are salty, Aren’t you?

1 Like

As someone who is VERY happy with this rework, I still disagree, they are absolutely altering her identity. She has a lot of similar elements, sure. But virtually none of it has the same function and therefore her entire play-style has changed. The types of people who will enjoy playing her will change as a result. This is, for all intents and purposes, an entirely new character. I can totally understand why many Symmetra mains are opposed to these changes.

3 Likes

That doesn’t make sense. Her photon projector is still going to be an energy beam weapon just with high, more consistent damage but no lock on.

Yeah it’s a big change to the weapon but it makes it better all around and it is still an energy beam laser.

Sorry to tell you but as much as you like photon barrier, it wouldnt have saved you in the long term. In fact it’s more likely to get you killed because you have to move with it to make it useful and doing that puts you at risk of overextending and exposure. Sym has always been easily countered, thus prompting a rework time and time again. Besides, looking at the insane numbers of her new damage and the speed of her projectiles, this rework might be a blessing in disguise for you.

I am assuming you misunderstood my post as this makes no sense to me. I never mentioned his Riptire, I was referring to his projectiles - Ya know, the ones being nerfed on PTR because idiots are complaining about being hit by them when they could just look where they’re walking…

If Hanzo’s weapon were a reason he was broken, then I would be fine with it. Besides, this is more akin to taking his bow and turning it into a crossbow.

1 Like

Ok, so then how is this: The old Symmetra had no place in Overwatch, and as a result has been deleted and replaced with a clone, with the same lore, the same concept, only a different approach to combat.

Thats an assumption I highly disagree with, her primary fire, secondary fire and shield are amazing. if they did the turrets, gave her the ammo reload on sheilds, and changed her to defense she would be in a great place

1 Like

No she wouldnt, she would still be in ‘instant report’ territory as she either does insufficient DPS, or has insufficient range to apply it, and if you are going to give her the RANGE, she has to lose the lock on.

Its really simple balancing here. You cannot have competitive dps, provided by a skillless weapon, or the game becomes a joke.

Guess what, the same thing is going to happen to Torb because he doesn’t fit into the game in 90% of situations. Sorry, but that’s how it goes.

I wouldn’t mind it if she got some other sort of defensive option in place of PB, but I’m ALL for the rest of the changes. I love Symmetra as a character, but in practice she’s niche at BEST.

Torb is so much closer. I really wish they would push him just a TOUCH into the tank role, and he would be great.

tell that to my 70% win rate over 200 hours. she can be played on defense or attack on most maps with most teams. her biggest problem is being placed in support so you have to convince your team to bring 2 healers because she fills a dps role and has always been mislabeled. shes not more niche than most characters, she just is missunderstood

1 Like

No one cares about your QP win rate. People run in alone on characters they don’t know how to play on QP all the time, of course auto locking 120dps is good in QP much of the time.

I know she’s not a support character, she’s always been defense. That doesn’t suddenly make her applicable in all or even most situations.

Like I said, I hope she gets PB back or something that’s got a lower skill floor for new players to use. It sucks to not have that defensive option, but PB is also one of the most awkward skills to use in this game.