Quickplay Matchmaking is Trash

Description of Quick Play says:
“Jump into a game against other players of YOUR SKILL LEVEL”

Me: gets matched against someone with T500 challenger title and one with GM title

Me: “… Yeah deeeefinitely my skill lvl”

46 Likes

last night i had someone with ZERO elims for the whole match! come on now. there are enough players to put me with all Plat.

4 Likes

Just got out of a game that had a t500 duo and at least 2 masters players (based on titles). At the end one of the masters players was complaining about qp being sweatier than comp.

It kind of is what it is.

9 Likes

thanks Aaron for another great gaming sesh

7 Likes

My brother is bronze-silver, I’m gold-plat, QP MM puts us up against GMs and T500s regularly. I’ve been thrown in against a 4-stack of GMs.

This never happened in OW1.

I don’t know why Blizzard wants this, why they designed OW2 to be this way. I certainly don’t enjoy it. I can’t imagine these GMs and T500s are thrilled with beating on bronzes.

I keep on asking myself “who does this serve?” and all I can think of is that picture of Bobby Kotick with that big, wide smile and his multi-million dollar personal compensation package.

I’m sure Bobby Kotick is very happy with how things are going.

8 Likes

…just to confirm, are those titles only from comp or can they be acquired from non (ranked) comp events like Lucioball, etc…? :thinking:

Ik why they did it, they designed The Matchmaker to make matches quickly not to be balanced. and they’re doing so that way people think there’s a more players than their really are, think about it how it, how do you tell if there’s a lot of playing on, you check the que times, since this que system is designed to make matches ASAP, it means the que times will always be low, and if the que times are always low, it’ll look like there’s lots of players

3 Likes

I’ve been primarily a QP player since 2016 and i came back to the game recently(last played in Novemeber) and this match making is terrible, i play between 5 and 10 QP matches a night and i’m lucky if i win one of them and even the 1 or 2 that i do win are just as one sided as all of the matches i lose(most of them). Instead of playing this game for enjoyment every night, i just play until i get so frustrated that i shut it off and play something else for the rest of the night. Something has GOT to give.

11 Likes

It’s quantity over quality at Blizzard these days.

Such a shame. The name Blizzard meant quality, once.

Wouldn’t they retain more players, who might spend more money, if the games were… good?

I have to think some spreadsheet somewhere is telling them the quality of the player’s experience legitimately does not drive engagement, and does not improve profitability. :neutral_face:

7 Likes

It’s in the name “quick” play I always assume autofill no skill based matchmaking.

Yea, i agree with you on the quantity vs quality thing that’s why my support queues are so quick every night i think. I either zone into a fresh match and try to be optimistic(we still get absolutely rolled)or i zone in as a back fill to a defending team that’s being spawn camped on queen’s row or junkertown and we never even move the payload an inch while our whole team has 2-5 elims and the enemy team has double digit elims. It’s tiring.

1 Like

Skilled based game without a skill based matchmaker. Takes a certain low level IQ development team to come up with this stuff.

2 Likes

Solo queue is what we need. People will always bring in higher skilled friends to mess up the MMR.

2 Likes

Isn’t it exciting though? Don’t you love jumping into a game and finding Silvers and low Golds on your team while the enemy is stacked with Diamonds and Masters?

Competitive is no better. I’m Plat 3 at the current time of posting this response. I get Silver 2-5’s, Gold 5-1’s, and occasionally Plat 5-1’s on my team. The enemy usually has Diamond 3’s, Masters 4’s. and the rare top500.

On the super rare occasion, fortune will smile upon me and give me a Diamond or Master. But most of the time they’re Diamond or Master on a role they’re not currently playing. You would think they’d still be decent, but they’re not.

2 Likes

Oh I have the BEST QP and it just happened about 30 minutes ago. I got back filled into the final 10 seconds of what appeared to be overwhelming stomp and the tank on my team goes into map chat and tells every one to report me for not healing. CLASSIC Overwatch.

2 Likes

Not to worry, this also happens in competitive, just yesterday i got put into gold lobbies (i certainly didnt missed those lobbies) and its just a mess in general

Yep, it’s one reason why I quit the game and am just playing Pokemon and Hogwarts Legacy while I wait for PVE.

Sick of feeling worthless because I’m placed in a game I can’t possibly contribute to.

What annoys me the most about matchmaking is the large number of times that it gets me into already lost games seconds after it ends, even entering just to see the defeat announcement without giving me time to choose a hero

2 Likes

You know when this happens…you almost always have someone on your team of similar skill right?

However…your teammates might be screwing around while the other team goes full tryhard.

Idk, I made a new account and played like 11 games. 2 games were weird, were I had a few leavers, and 3min without a tank and one was a just defeat where we had a enemy team that was just really good hats off to them of course. rest I won.

I had to put in quite a bit of effort, had to try hard and make good moves to try and push the wins along but it was fun and there was really no toxicity tonight. Mind you the first few games I had people upset and saying “really” and some other stuff because I feel as if they may have been bronze players I’m not sure, and they ended up just leaving (1-2 on enemy team btw) during the first few matches.

but the over all matchmaker I think moved me out of those matches rather quick even in QP. the games felt more even, even by the end of 11 games tonight.

I’m willing to post some codes as well. I feel like some people are really over exaggerating the “MM is trash thing” I think it has issue’s but not as much as people think.

edit: some people may be “try Harding” on alt’s because they want to try to get into competitive on that alt and so they will try their best so the match maker in QP can give them a bit better results when going into comp.

1 Like