Queue times force you to play tank

Unless you play tank (7 heroes out of 30 or something) the queue times are very long (10+ minutes).
There was multiples solutions offered to solve this and balance queue times. Are they willing to change it?

2 Likes

what are these solutions?

I once proposed an autofill system with role protection next game here which in my opinion is a very good solution but i got booed by dps mains saying “but i want to play only dps” and that it is a horrible solution. No matter what blizz proposes if the solution is not “dps will play only dps and have tank queue times” it will be bad for them, and judging by last 2 years of patches no good changes come usually.

we proposed forced roles:

• play 2 games as tank then 2 as dps then 2 as healer
    or
  • play 2 games as tank, 2 games as healer then get priority queue as dps
    or
  • token system: earn class token by playing other classes. Token giives you queue priority (least viable solution tho)

point is, if you force player to play 222 you have to balance the roles queue in the same time

like i said , if any of these solutinos doesn’t mean “i will play dps and only dps” people are not going to like it. You can check that post in my history and see for yourself.

yeah I agree, I mean ultimately I’d even prefer remove 222, cause I bought the game to play all heroes and able to switch on any hero at any moment was a great feeling.

2 Likes

Why do people not get that “queue priority” isn’t possible because you are ALREADY the top priority for the queue? You are already joining the first available match. In order to give someone else priority over other people you would have to intentionally slow down other people’s queues.

Imagine being a DPS main and having your queue go from 10 minutes to 30 because some of the tank/support mains play DPS sometimes and the queue slows you down for them.

Even if this magical “queue priority” could exist you just end up right back at the start of the problem: People playing roles they don’t want to because they feel they have to.

2 Likes

Didn’t thought of that @toasty
So yeah remove 222 and let people play overwatch as it was meant to be played

2 Likes

Tank is my main so its nice to not have to wait to get into a game.

1 Like

The game as is- is how it’s meant to be played. If you’re gonna say that being able to swap to whatever hero whenever you want was always a good thing then you should love no-limits right?

1 Like

You’re kinda twisting my word but I get your point and yeah no limit is fun.
thing is in some games you could swap if you needed a fast counter and other teammates weren’t able to do it
or simply feel like playing a specific hero for few games

I really loved the idea of 2-2-2.
I still do tho

However, having to wait 15 minutes for an OW games makes it more of an que sinulator than an actual game. Cant magically provide any solution to fix this issue but this aint helpful at all for the game.

1 Like

That is silly, People just need to play less DPS. there is no solution that will not make things worse for tanks and healers who by your own admission are more valuable to the matchmaker.

Backfill is fine or priority Q but i doubt it will make much difference.

but they designed the game around DPS mostly, its the most represented class in game…

1 Like

Swapping off of your role wasn’t always helpful. It meant one less of your previous role.

The majority of games before 2-2-2 were a struggle where someone would be forced to play tank if they wanted to win- and even then you usually ended up with additional DPS.

Not to mention: Role SR is far more accurate when it comes to describing someone’s skill level. I’m a plat tank/support but barely a mid-gold DPS. It wouldn’t make sense to place me in a plat game as DPS. If someone had to swap off of tank/support to carry me then I get boosted to an even higher rank where I don’t belong.

1 Like

I dunno about that. More tanks would be welcome as long as they are not just making DPS tanks. The main problem is Tanks have a higher skill ceiling. I have noticed a huge increase in my match quality since 222 in solo. If anything it has pointed out that there is a huge amount of low skill DPS and this is what caused such a huge variance in skill level of the DPS at all ranks.

Pandora’s box is open and if we went back back open season for 4 worthless dps just messing around I think that would be the deathnail of the game.

Got to disagree with you toasty on SR accuracy,
suddently every tank gets to diamond? me included I’m a mediocre gold tank but I could climb to 3.1k SR
While my DPS is diamond but bbecause of queue time I dont have patience to grind and cannt practice it

1 Like

How does 2-2-2 boost your tank SR?

If you got to diamond playing tank then you’re a diamond tank.

That is because being tank was a cluster, plus there is a big shortage. On my Climb from plat I got grandmasters in my games pretty often.

I think all this is showing us is that Tanks carried a lot of games in conjunction with good heals but got handicapped by the huge pool of DPS who went from grandmaster Smurfs to people who got a lucky break out of Silver.

It doesnt not force you but i agree i rarther play a lot of tank insted of other roles to have fadt games.

Honestly, I’m not sure there’s reason to “fix” it. I’m a DPS player too, so I get it, but if the other queues are fine and DPS are long, “people” aren’t going to leave the game, DPS players are going to leave the game, which in the end means those who stay will in theory have better queue times.