Private profile? Let's change the UI

But the T500 leaderboard shows it and the ones that do have private profiles there deal with it?

It’s information. Someone asking you to swap, questioning why you’re playing a certain hero, etc, etc is not being toxic. Overused word, it’s trying to win the game.

You have every right to play whoever you want, just like I have every right to be upset that you aren’t playing as a team. It is a team game after all.
Sure it’s just a game at the end of the day, but it’s a more fun one when people are willing to collaborate and play as a team. I’m all for you playing your main/one trick but as soon as it’s not working/you get countered you swap, otherwise you aren’t playing as a team.

1 Like

It’s information. I look at mostly EVERYONE’S profile, when I play Competitive, without knowing if they are a guy, a girl, other, cat, dog, like I don’t care. I’m just getting info to know who I’m playing with and against. If that sort of thing happens to you I’m sorry but that ain’t me.

1 Like

You didn’t experience toxicity over a profile, did you?

Sure… But that does not give you right to snoop…

And that has nothing to do with you snooping.

Does not change the fact that you being this upset over it is actually a red flag.

Yes it does happen. More often than you think.

Like Valorant and a lot of other games

1 Like

These issues have literally nothing to do with one another and I am honestly a little worried for you that you don’t get this.

Whether you can see someone’s profile information or not changes nothing about the outcome. They will play what they want, swap if they feel like it - or not. You being able to spy on their profile has zero bearing on that outcome. The only reason you want this, by your own admission, is that you can spy on someone’s profile to order them around to switch to another hero of your choosing. But that choice isn’t yours, it never was. Never will be. It’s theirs. And if they don’t swap when clearly being countered then yes you’re right, they’re being a bad teammate. But you being able to spy their profile won’t fix that. It has nothing to do with the issue. You’re asking to break their privacy for the sake of being able to attempt to boss them around, and nothing more.

This is basically similar to say, if you were in a school and demanded you should have access to the information about how other students spend their time in their homes. Literally just spy on them when they sit there. On the premise that if they’re not contributing to their team assignment projects then you want to see what it is that they were doing. You’re not even a person of authority, not their teacher, not their boss, but just another student (and it’s illegal even for people and companies in authority positions, imagine where you stand in this). And you want to know this, because you want to know. Even though you have no power to change their behavior. Stuff like this is EXACTLY why the concept of privacy, including privacy laws, exists.

As for T500 that’s a completely different issue entirely. In an esports game the T500 people basically represent the celebrities, professionals. Top famous people often covered in streams and related media. They are already public personages, whether they want it or not.

That doesn’t mean that every bottom-tier division or hobbyist player should have all of the sports media stalk and scout them and their homes and hobbies and the people they hang out with. Those are not public persons at all, they’re very much private.

4 Likes

This totally makes sense, I’m really tired of clicking into each player’s profile in comp to check my rank elo, and seeing 80% of them being set to private.

At least a team average elo ranking should be shown at the beginning of the match, just like the way it was.

I would like it so that I can set rank to be public, and set-up 1 to 3 heroes per role that I would prefer to play, rather than the top 3 heroes that I have the most hours on. This way people can quickly glance at my profile for the relevant information, while hiding everything else.

Game should constantly give a popup that players can set-up prefer heroes in their profile, unless they click on the “never ask again” checkbox. The default should be only the very top hero played on each roles.

Now this is a much better approach! I would love something like this.

We can go even further and set up heroes that we would absolutely not play, so don’t tell us to swap to x hero. For me, this is Mercy in the support role, as she is my worse win-rate hero.

Yeah the way it’s set up now would be like if a store had a sign in the window saying “come in, we’re open!” And then you walk in and there are no employees and all the shelves are empty and you’re like… wtf? haha

i think we should be able to select certain seasons to not be shown

They need to bring back the popup thing we used to get when looking at people in the player’s list that showed most played heroes when you hovered over their name. No need for time or even to show most played overall; just of the specific role they’re selected for. Easy. Now we’re able to look and decide what to play accordingly without having to wait an hour.

Eh, if you’re picking and choosing what seasons you want shown to your team then it’s pretty obvious you have something to hide.

You should either have everything open to everyone, or private to everyone you don’t know.

1 Like

I like this option because it will be less frustrating. Not only would it help the “all profiles should be seeable” Entitled Jerks get over their anger faster from trying to be control freaks it will help people who play to have fun and who don’t like annoying snob drama.

Whatever shuts stalkers up. Of course by doing this you would save them time to do their “you have a private profile therefore you’re bad at the game!” harassment.

Different strokes for different folks. I’ve always been fascinated with seeing other players’ “journey” through this game… you know… which heroes they’ve played, their rank, so on and so forth. And it was never with the intention to mention it to them or any of my friends, I’m just genuinely curious. But of course now with everything being private by default, my curiosity is met with contempt because “you only want to view people’s profiles to be toxic, there could legit not be any other reason” Yeah… okay… :roll_eyes:

Yeah this is what always makes me laugh. The people who bring up “this is my private information!” are the same people who are members of 3 or 4 different forms of social media and have already willingly given up information about themselves, information that could actually make their lives miserable if it fell into the wrong hands.

1 Like

These concerns only apply if expose any real life information, like your voice or face. Therefore, I doubt your sincerity here as Blizzard’s Real ID and voice/data harvesting is far more concerning: One mistake from Blizzard is all it takes to accidentally reveal your real life name to your “friends” or even other players, depending on how badly Blizzard screws us.

And having a 3 second voice pattern is enough for scammers to place fake phone calls to your loved ones that sound just like you.

You don’t have anything against it, yet you find it “alarming” that such a feature is needed.

Right…

not sure why top 3 even matters. My top 3 are characters I primarily played in OW1 years ago, and now I play mostly different characters.

Also the thought of the other team counterpicking my main right out the gate – even if it was accurate – is not fun. (That probably only really applies to tank players though.)

Having the option to view profile grayed out if it’s private is plenty enough imo.

1 Like

True.

True. But it CAN tell you why that outcome happened, that’s why I check them mostly after a match.
Before a match I only check my role partner and/or my role enemy.

It’s so I can undertand why the outcome was what it was.
It’s so I can understand why someone got countered and didn’t swap.
It’s so I can understand why my Moira is getting outhealed by the other support.
When I lose and it’s my fault, I know why I lost. When I lose and it’s not on me (I can’t control) career profiles can help understand that.

It’s not about bullying someone into swapping, neither is it about them playing who you want. Even if you’re asking and/or telling someone to swap into or out of a counter, that’s not bullying nor you telling them to play someone you want. That’s trying to win.

Like I said, they have every right to play who they want but they also need to understand that by doing so they aren’t helping the team.

2 Likes

Mostly every hero has counters or unfavorable matchups. There’s a reason why the game let’s you swap heroes mid match.