Please read this (help us console players)

It has been 2 months since I and many others have been able to use game chat on Xbox.

When Echo came out, a bug that breaks voice chat came with it. Xbox’s game chat does not work for so many people. and whats worse, is that they are not letting people know. It is not on the known issues, even though it has been known for 2 months. There have been people who bought new headsets because they thought their headset was broken. I bought a new controller because I had already bought a new headset.

Xbox already has little communication. We don’t have normal chat. If we want to message a teammate, we have to pause the game, go to their profile, wait for it to load, click send message, wait for that to load, then select each letter individually. I have a keyboard for typing, but even then, I almost get kicked for inactivity for short messages. So you CANNOT communicate with teammates without voice chat.

How this happens. If your headset loses connection (your headset gets unplugged, your controller dies/you change it’s battery, your xbox goes idle, etc.), you lose connection to game chat.

Temporary fix: If your chat breaks, finish your game, then reset your xbox (either by clicking reset, or by unplugging then replugging). This should fix it, but it might stop working after a couple of games (there have been times where it worked in quickplay, then I start up comp and it stops working again). keep your headset plugged in the entire time or you will need to do it again.

If you are an Xbox player who has lost their game chat, you are not alone. I am trying to spread awareness, but I need help. Spread awareness. PC people, you guys at least sometimes get listened to by devs. People who watch streams, talk about this in stream chats/donation messages. Put this on Reddit. Tweet it, whatever you can do. If this was on PC, it would have been fixed in a week. Us console players may be plebs, but we still are Overwatch players.

(Overwatch forums post for the issue /)

4 Likes

Damn I was wondering how this was happening

1 Like

It’s a pretty big issue, and it sucks. LFG is suffering because of it, because I can’t go to game chat, and people dont want to join parties.

2 Likes

This is the first I’ve heard of this. Crazy. I’m on PS4 and we have PSN voice chat parties we can join outside of the game and still use while playing. Do y’all have anything like that on Xbox or do you have to use in-game team/group chat? That won’t help with randoms you’re queue with in-game, but just curious.

2 Likes

we have xbox parties, but the thing is, If I’m duo-ing with a buddy and in a party, I cant talk with the other 4 people, So a lot of times I switch to game chat to get more communication (but that ain’t happening).

thats how it’s still manageable, because I can still use parties, but there is no communication with randoms

1 Like