Please let us buy Pink Mercy

Nobody here feels “entitled” to it. They just want it. That is not the same thing.

People are stating that along with them getting the skin, bringing back the charity would have an additional positive effect of raising more money for the cause. Not that they should be praised for being saints because we NEED to bring back the charity and oh… maybe we could have the skin too?

You are lambasting a position nobody here has taken.

4 Likes

I dont know why CS tells people to come to the forums, it doesn’t really do anything.

1 Like

No, if you really cared about the charity at all nothing is stopping you nor anybody else from donating to it NOW or yesterday, the month before that, etc…

Nobody here is saying they won’t donate to the charity unless they get the skin or that they want to donate to the charity but the skin would help. Not a position people are taking. Stop trying to make it about that.

People want the skin. It’s a nice skin.

If we brought it back it would encourage some people who would not otherwise donate, to donate. Bringing in money that would have never gone to the charity otherwise. This is a decent reason to bring it back. Nobody is pretending that they want to donate.

3 Likes

not at all

there is nothing disgusting or even slightly negative in this…rather, this is a way to get folks who would otherwise not be donating to said charity to provide funds to it anyway.

players get a desired skin, and more money becomes available for research into a cure for cancer

this is simple commerce, same as one exchanging money for groceries, rent, utilities, etc etc; albeit with the added benefit of money going to finding a cure for cancer

win win

and thats a good thing

2 Likes

IF you say so, dude. Every time this skin is brought up, they frame it as It’ll be good for raising money What they really mean is “I WANT THIS SKIN AND UH, YEAH, CHARITY GOOD” How the heck do you guys not see that?

Just say, I want he skin and leave the charity out of it because it is not THE reason they want it back.

Nope, using a charity to gain something from it is indeed disgusting.

It’s my opinion and no, you won’t change my mind on that for I am not blind.

there’s nothing wrong with that, tho

people exchange money for things they need or want. simple everyday commerce. Money for a hamburger. Money for a car. Money for a character skin. etc etc.

It is a GOOD thing - a VERY GOOD thing - that in this case, a worthy charity benefits

2 Likes

Nobody has claimed charity is WHY they want it back. So again, stop thinking that.

All that has been claimed, again and again, is that running the charity again would be beneficial.

Pretending to support a charity only to get something for yourself is pretty reprehensible. Sure… but nobody here is saying anything other than:
“we would like this skin. One of the things that would be good would be that the charity would get more money”.

If you cannot see the difference in that… I dunno what else can be said.

You’re pretty blind to the fact that nobody is arguing the point you are refuting.

3 Likes

There is a lot wrong with that. Selfish reasons at the expense of others suffering… seriously.

:face_vomiting:

… who is suffering?

With my apologies…I fail to see who is suffering in the exchange of money for a skin

edit: I see Krotoan has this covered. I’ll duck aside and let Krotoan address this while I listen. Later, I’m hoping he will also explain what happened to the Lost Colony folks

2 Likes

What the heck do you think the pink mercy charity was exactly?

It was a charity to raise money for breast cancer research. They attached a donation to a skin designed specifically to represent the cause. They raised over 12 million dollars that went to:

1. Three critical programs that examine every aspect of a breast cancer diagnosis.
  2. Innovative prevention research
  3. Five new clinical trials in 2018.
  4. Annual research grants to 29 researchers

It was 99.9% operated and developed by Blizzard, requiring very little BCRF involvement other than permission to use their branding and providing info about their company and cause. The money, production of goods, and systems were run by blizzard and then the final tally was simply signed over to BCRF.

Please, again, explain who is suffering if the charity event is rerun or rehashed. The people who benefit from the charity already have cancer or related problems and aren’t being exploited or made to suffer any more than they already have.

If ANYTHING more money towards the cause will alleviate suffering.

5 Likes

I am fully aware what it was for.

There have been many threads on this same subject asking for the return of the skin and using the charity as an excuse as to why it would be good to bring it back and you can’t seem to grasp that it’s not them wanting to be charitable, it’s solely them wanting the skin.

Don’t use a charity for your own personal gain. Do you understand that? If it were about the charity you can donate at any time you’d like. You don’t need Overwatch involved but because this skin was attached to that people are going to keep using that as an excuse for it to be brought back.

And I can’t believe that I have to tell you who is suffering. CANCER PATIENTS ARE THE ONES SUFFERING! People using THEIR disease to get a stupid pixelated skin because of that is pure disgust.

THEN GO DONATE. https://www.bcrf.org/

“I can’t donate unless I get something in return” :face_vomiting:

Seems to get many people in a kerfuffle, and they don’t have to actually service the customer any longer. Talking about charity and receiving a reward for donating also does something to (some) people, socially.

Before anyone rips into me about charity, there are two main issues:

1. Mismanaged funds (or enough of your money going to the cause vs poorly administrated overhead or even to lying or misrepresented causes. Blizzard would do research into this or it would be a PR nightmare, so it’s a non-issue here). Working for a bank we got anti-money laundering training, and you’d be surprised what represents itself as charity that actually goes to fund not-charity.
  2. Money for breast cancer (above other cancers), specifically. There’s an entire set of politics around how cancer research funds are allocated and how they go towards more popular ‘celebrity’ cancers. Some of the ‘extra’ money donated to breast cancer could change millions of lives for sufferers of other cancers and their syndromes, but Blizzard chose breasts for likely obvious reasons. This isn’t to knock funding for any cancer research nor people donating to it. Breast cancer is only so curable because of that, but there are many other cancers that need much more help than the proportion of attention that breast cancer receives in the public eye. Blizzard should have done (a modicum of) research on that and adjusted for it, even without having to change the skin design or hero at all. Mercy is still a doctor and cancer still affects millions of women.

To the kids on about skin exclusivity: if you enjoy your toy doll less because someone else is eventually able to get the same dress for the identical toy doll that they also bought (even moreso if your toy doll and her dress are made up of pixels), I think it best that you really figure out why that bugs you and learn how to make it stop. Probably go with a therapist, if for whatever reason your gut is telling you to argue with this logic. Go get on that right now instead of starting to respond here!

It’s completely ok for others to like and want the same dress, it’s not ok to think only you should have been able to get it because you paid money for it that one time (and some money also went to b-cancer research).

2 Likes

Yet you don’t seem to care about the further good that could be done because you have a problem with people wanting the skin as well. You can flail about and wail about how people should have pure intentions and how it’s reprehensible that people would have to wait for compensation to donate, but the money doesn’t care and the diseases don’t care.

Nobody has ever said that they wanted to be charitable. They said they wanted the skin and a positive of bringing the event back would be more money towards the charity. I know you like this strawman, but let him go.

It’s not an excuse. it’s one of the positives of the event recurring. Stating a fact, E.G.: rerunning the event would allow people who wanted the skin to get the skin AND it would bring in further money towards the cause. Is just that, listing the benefits.

Please tell me how this is making their cancer worse? They are suffering, sure. I have my own very personal connections to cancer (I’m not asking for sympathy or martyring, just stating my perspective) , but I fail to see how this creates MORE suffering. They aren’t carting out victims to parade around and advertise the skin.

I have donated, several times. For the BCRF drive and for other causes WITHOUT any sort of incentive. I have also spent my own time caring for victims and their families. You have no leverage trying to make me feel guilty for noting the fact that more people will donate and more money will go to the cause if it is re-run.

Someone who isn’t virtue signaling or posturing won’t care that there are alternative motives if help is being given. I don’t care if people post their good deeds on instagram. The good deeds are still done and most of the time the people complaining about the posts do NOTHING.

The base facts:
People want the skin enough to ask for it multiple times per year.
Bringing back a charity drive with the skin related will raise money that wouldn’t have come in otherwise.

Facts.

7 Likes

Who the Frick cares dude. A persons reason for donating is completely irrelevant. Stop peddling that dumb statement that “you can donate whenever”. If adding the skin back in with another event nets money for the charity, then why not do it? If it’s the difference between them donating and not donating, do it?

We’re monkeys. We’re dumb stupid monkeys that like shiny things. In this case, the mercy skin in the shiny thing.

They’re not bad people for not donating at other times. Personally, after the Australian bushfires, I wouldn’t trust large charity organisations with a single cent of $$$. But if I got something out of it? Then sure. It’s nobodies business but the person donating. If their drive to donate is for a skin in a game, who cares. In the end, the charity is getting money. It’s money they probably wouldn’t get otherwise.

Get over it. It’s none of your business. You’re actively arguing against potentially raising a tonne of money for charity. If it gets people to donate, WHO CARES. I don’t see you out there picketing megacorporations for donating to charity in order to get tax breaks on their deductibles?

5 Likes

If I was Blizzard I would sell pink Mercy skins for $50.

1 Like

Yeah, Blizzard is insane to not monetize their content that is in high demand, but then again, one only needs to take one glance at the state of the game itself to discern that decision making isn’t really their strength.

3 Likes

You don’t see what I do period. Stop acting like you know what I do in my personal life for charities. Clueless.

I don’t care if it raises money or not! You are USING a charity for YOUR own benefit over theirs. I don’t care how many ways you wanna twist it and use mental gymnastics to justify it.

You have your opinion and I have mine.