Please don't reduce stun durations - it hurts high latency players

Stun durations on some heroes (McCree, mostly) are already low enough that it becomes impossible to act while someone is stunned if you have medium or high latency. I’m not talking 250 here, just 60-80 makes headshotting someone difficult.

Reducing it further will make McCree very weak for any player above a latency of about 30-40.

This is mostly an issue for McCree with flashbang but also applies to Brigitte a bit (more for her teammates). Most of the other stun reductions arent affected by this.

6 Likes

So how do you know that someone doesn’t have 250ms?

1 Like

I know from playing McCree myself at these latencies. You simply do not have time to react. I see how long low latency players have in their death cam/POTGs. It’s like an entirely different game.

Get better internet. As rude as that may sound.

11 Likes

This is the best available where I live (Boise Idaho). I mean, it’s actually really good. I have 300 megabit cable and it actually delivers the speed. I’m not on a modem in Siberia here. Wired connection with an expensive router too.

1 Like

This is a terrible reason to keep high stun durations. I feel for your situation, but this isn’t balance.

19 Likes

Right. I usually play at 80-100 ms around and its not about good connection it is about being far away from game server.

6 Likes

It’s important to keep the game playable to a significant number of people. It can’t just be good for the people who happen to live on the NA coastlines or in Korea.

1 Like

McCree is gonna to take a nerf.

Either to his gun, or his stun.

That they chose his stun is already being lenient.

1 Like

I think this is time for a short story.

I run a guild in World of Warcraft for going on almost 3 1/2 years now but the raid team for 4 1/2 years. Last year, we picked up a new guildie who wanted to be the new Tank main for the guild. Unfortunately, her internet was terrible and after letting that go unaddressed for 3 months, I don’t say anything to anyone in the guild for 3 months on the raid roster unless it’s serious, I had to tell her she’s not allowed to be a Tank for the guild until she gets better internet.

This is one of the times, where you make a cut somewhere to help the greater half.

She did get better internet about 8 months later.

1 Like

Again how do you know they’re low latency players?
There’s something called lag compensation that under normal server load works really, really well. When you add overpopulated servers, and a bunch of people with very, very different pings that’s when issues arise. And they can go both way … It’s not like low-latency players have strict advantage … that’s not true.

Yeah, think about the players in the Oceania region.

It’s not even that. This change will make McCree actively bad everywhere except the coastlines right by the servers.

Typically you use more servers to fix concerns like this, not tailor balance decisions around it.

3 Likes

Then I’m glad I’m living close to one of the servers. :laughing:

But yeah, players with a higher latency will definitely feel these changes.

I think making the stun duration tiny is a stupid nerf anyway. It also doesn’t matter in OWL where the latency is super low and they’ll still have time to double tap.

If they want to nerf flashbang they should do something else. Like allowing stuns to have slow movement or making it a real flashbang (blind+deafen) instead of a free kill.

I think it’d be silly to make balance changes to Overwatch to cater towards people with bad internet.

Especially when Jeff said in the post, quite literally, that

2 Likes

The problem is 60 latency isnt a shack in North Dakota with satellite internet. It’s like everywhere that isn’t a tech hub on the coastlines.

This doesn’t punish bad latency, it punishes not-excellent latency. Which is most players.

2 Likes

Show us a video of you not having time to shoot with latency. I’ve played on east coast servers being from west with 80-90 ping and it did not affect my ability to line up shots. You’re really exaggerating latency, I have no doubt.

I would have to take one first. I don’t normally do that… maybe when I get home later or something.

I don’t normally play McCree, but this is a big part of why.