Plat Is Literally The Worst

Hi, I’m just gonna outright say it this account is my alt. My Main sits at 3800 right now and I just came to tell you how bad Platinum matchmaking is.

I have over 12 Accounts most are in Diamond others are lower elo so I can practice other characters than my mains without throwing games.
So far my favorite Sr range is Gold and Diamond.
Gold is great because people listen and they actually want to learn and get better they also tend to be nicer.
Diamond is great because players are committed to being better and trying their best (for the most part).
Plat literally after over 300 games in this elo across all my accounts is the worst. Players think they are hot-fecal-matter for escaping gold and when you say anything that is even somewhat criticizing they legit yell at you. They also refuse to be in team chat for some reason almost all my gold games it’s at least 4 other people in team chat in plat it’s usually 1-2. Plat players are usually pretty mechanically capable but they lack any sense of communication or why communication matters.
My message to plat players
What you more than likely lack is game sense and communication skills. If you ever hope to escape plat and actually be the good player you claim you are you can’t just play the same character until you are a mechanical genius. You need more than that to climb. For the love of god buy a mic and just learn some basic callouts and be more open to criticism its not personal its a chance to become a better player. Also, don’t be afraid to play something that isn’t your main sometimes your team just does need this certain pick and it will help you win the game.
TLDR: Plat players are the Diamond players without communication skills thats literally it. The only thing that makes comp fun is working with a team otherwise it just feels like PVE with awkward difficulty settings.

6 Likes

stopped reading here

24 Likes

Does me having a lot of accounts invalidate what I said? I have a lot of accounts for a good reason. My main is well known and I hate getting fanboyed all the time or getting throwers because people know me. Also having a lot of accounts is convenient for a lot of other reasons due to matchmaking and character picks.

2 Likes

I don’t know, because as I told you, I literally didn’t read it after you said you had 12 accounts.

I could understand two, three, maybe four accounts. But twelve?

2 Likes

Yea I have a few in Gold and only 3 in the silver area for when I want to joke around and play with friends. My main is pretty up there so its a pain to play with all my friends. Mid Elo is where I practice characters I want to get better at and when an account gets linked to my identity I basically have to throw that account out.

OK so I read it
Never having been in Diamond, I don’t know.
But I will definitely take issue with your statement and happily proclaim that Silver is the worst rank I’ve been in (out of Silver/Gold/Plat) because no one talks. And when they do, no one listens.

I’ve never really experienced silver on a serious level so I couldn’t argue against this claim. The only games I play in silver are usually for fun and I’m not really paying much attention but I could understand why it’s so bad. I think the issue with what I call intermediate ranks is that they have communication gaps. Silver and Plat are intermediate ranks. Silver players are mechanically better than bronze players but because of this “escaped from bronze” mentality they forget that communication is realistically what makes you climb. It’s the same with Plat players they “escaped from gold” and they think that what they did to escape gold is all they need to do to escape plat. In both silver and plat players suffer from the mechanically mentality. They forget the team game aspect and kinda lose faith in their allies and solely focus on their play. Which you realistically can’t climb like this if you are really a silver or plat player.
I like to think of it like sliders you have your mechanical ability and your communication.
During the bronze climb its basically all mechanical improvement. However, because that is the main way to climb out of this rank they forget that the team aspect is still a factor and in the next rank silver they only try to mechanically improve which isn’t how you will escape silver fast. There are thresholds on these as well. In order to improve mechanically you need to improve your communication as well. A lot of players dismiss this and just say darn guess my aim wasn’t good enough when it realistically was the fact they never called anything out to their team IE picks positions or ults. In gold because the two slider are about even again we see players just working the mechanical side but because the two are about equal they still rely on their communication. When you get to plat players have underdeveloped their communication for their mechanics and it shows. As someone who is very close with an Esports team communication is my strong suit and its the part of the game I find enjoyable regarding challenges. These intermediate ranks really are just the worst for players who have developed communication skills because in these ranks other players generally don’t so they can’t utilize their own communication skills to help the outcome of the game. It perpetuates the problem sadly and I wish Blizzard would allow for some kind of communication queuing. (Looking for a group tool is incredibly bad I can talk about why if you are interested!)

So you’re happy to ruin games for ppl at silver/gold by having a gm player there.
No worries you’re one of those selfish ppl.

8 Likes

The win rate on all my silver accounts sits just above 50% I only play on them when I am drinking with friends or are incredibly tired and just want to relax with the guys. I don’t ruin anyone’s games if they have the skill to win they will win with me against or with them because I’m not elo-boosting as I’m personally against that.
My Gold accounts I also practice characters I don’t play a lot when I’m very new to them. Those accounts do have higher win rates for characters but because I rotate what characters I’m trying to get good at some of the win rates are pretty low. Once again you probably couldn’t tell I was smurfing from my mechanical play unless you really paid attention to the micromanagement things I’m doing.
I’m not a smurf in the classical sense that I intentionally keep accounts at a certain mmr. If they rise they rise. I don’t force myself to win or lose.
The smurfs you are complaining about are people who use accounts to elo-boost or force their accounts to sit in a certain SR range by forcing loses and wins. It’s incredibly rare that you’ll actually be paired with or against a GM players rising alt account. I don’t do that as I personally find it scummy as well. So no I’m not one of those selfish GM players.

I got to diamond without communication, and I am a main tank
Yes, communication is important, but fixing your bad habits is way more in my opinion (not talking about op btw)

3 Likes

I won’t sit here and say its impossible because of course, it happens I’m just generalizing. Each individual player has things they need to work on or do to climb but from the rank as a whole, I think my proposition is a general truth for the rank. Fixing your bad habits I find is also much much easier when players communicate saying “Hey you are way to deep” or “You need to stay with us” communication leads to halting these bad habits before they happen or even making you aware of them faster than you could just from introspection.

Its maybe about communication in US, its different story in EU where you will have hard time to even have players in voice chat. Plat to Diamond is definitely about game sense and mechanical skill. Communication is important for Tanks and support because they cant usualy dominate game by kill so they can affect game by good communication and decisions.

I am telling others what to do and what not to do frequently but as i said they are often not in voice chat or they dont care.

How can we denounce this guy for his battletag?

4 Likes

What? My name is literally just because all the girl characters in Ow kick my rear-end lmao. It’s clearly a joke please don’t get mad about it. I’m not rude to anyone in OW based on things like gender or sexuality.

For me the worst is high plat - low diamond because people they are insanely good just because they are above the average of the players so they dont wanna hear constructiv criticsm (sorry for my english).

I am dps main but i need To flex like 60% of my games because people dont want To switch :confused:

That not the case for all diamond players

1 Like

It’s a fairly simple problem that a lot of people act like is impossible to fix. The matchmaker puts 4-6 people on the same team all of which want to play the same role and has them sort out who’s going to fill; because people are not in anyway selfish and we are known for being great at self regulation.

What do you think would happen if you assembled hockey teams with 3 goalies in every match? You say to the person who runs the league “teams don’t work with 3 goalies they just fight about who’s going to get to play it this time around” and the league says “just learn how to play other stuff you’ll be a better player for it!” … but I don’t want to play forward.

Let’s put aside the notion of winning for a moment and introduce the concepts of time, fun and value. The assertion that the average gamer is going to spend their time grinding a hero they do not enjoy simply for the chance that they may rank up and at some point get to play what they want is preposterous. What other game asks someone to spend hours of their time playing a playstyle they don’t like? Can we please remember this is a video game not an occupation.

As a completely arbitrary example, if SR accurately gauges a players skill. Why do I constantly get players on my team who’s effectiveness varies WILDLY at their role? Not just one is a bit better, no one is great and the other looks like he is straight throwing (and they will openly tell you they’re sorry they don’t know what they are doing but we have no tank - you gotta feel for this guy busting his hump for his team and getting nothing for it). You get 1 SR rating for a roster of 29 heroes; so that’s not to say tanks at 2500 are a crap shoot. Getting a person in the tank role who plays tank and wants to be there for that purpose is where the crapshoot comes in; and I’m just using tank as an example, support has this problem as well though slightly less so.

It’s an unbelievably lazy approach that doesn’t take human nature into account. It acts like all gamers are robots who will always do what is best FOR THE GAME and not for themselves. Imagine if we made laws this way.

1 Like

This makes me chuckle, because I messaged a level 11 Hanzo last night after a QP match and told him, “your POTG doesn’t count because you’re on a BS account.” :joy::joy::joy:

He doesn’t derank or loose on purpose.
So those accounts are more on the rank he should be in then someone with only 1 account but still play x different heroes.
So if someone in gold/silver cant deal with his account that is also in gold. Just means that gold/silver player probably is playing under his rank because he is playing a hero that is below its rank (reason why his account is in gold is because he ranked up playing another hero/roll more)

Yep, its been said over and over, 2900 is a scary elo to be in.
You get people that are great mechanically but with 0 awareness and gamesense, also you get the exact opposite and people that mostly won’t listen because they think they are better than the rest.

Also those who barely play ranked, get their diamond points, derank and just play when high or drunk at the same time, etc

1 Like

In europe low gold and silver is more QP with 0 communication.
A friend who used to be diamond once played with me in a low gold game when he lost to much once. It wasnt working well since … it was QP in comp…
So i asked him if he had any ideas how to win this…
His answer: Dude i have no clue… this is a complete different game, that is played here.

I climbed out of it … and hope never drop back to it.
I still have from time to time players in my group that cant work together… But at least the most try to actually fight as a team.
About plat: I didnt notice much difference between mid/high tier gold and plat. Technical(aim) skill on dps heroes is in most cases the same. But i have seen stupidity like: bad shield tanks that dont know their job is to create space for the dps, or dva’s that dont know they are playing a dive tank, or dps with bad positioning, as much in gold as in plat.