Pharah Mercy needs a serious nerf

Whenever i look at topics about this, there’s always people saying “just pick hitscan”.
but even with 2 hitscans, unless we/they’re both great, it’s not gonna do jack.
I’m in plat and very rarely does this do anything.
And, judging by her winrate in GM (where there are some serious good hitscan players UNLIKE plat where we’re all meh at best) which is 58% as of rn (and the highest overall as a result), skill has nothing to do with it.
It’s just that hitscans can’t even contest her anymore due to their big recent nerf.
Change my mind.

10 Likes

Pick bastion double shield, problem solved.

lol i can pick bastion sure but then the two tanks need to cooperate.
which, with eu servers’ lack of comms, never happens. end up with sigma hog or rein dva or some other tank mismatch.

5 Likes

and I guess that’s why every single hitscan still has a higher pickrate than Pharah in most ranks. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

11 Likes

Ana and Widow don’t have damage drop off, and both can easily contest pharah WAY outside of pharah’s own effective range (the range at which the rockets take over 1 second to reach the target).

10 Likes

The fact that youre acknowledging theres already a ton of topics on it and decided to make ANOTHER topic instead of sticking to those is just :roll_eyes:

This is one of the worst part of these forums.
16 posts on the same topic all saying the same thing in the op. Just contribute to the ones that already exist!

3 Likes

60%winrate while keeping 2% pickrate. That’s insane for the flying definition of boring.

1 Like

For a bit of history on overbuff, Symmetra 1.o and 2.o used to have a 60%+ win rate on top of Torbjorn before their reworks. Yet, they had hilariously bad pick rates <0.5%.

People universally understood these 2 characters to be pretty bad overall. Now, they are better have a more even win rate because people aren’t picking them in extremely niche circumstances.

Pharah is often the same. Niche to certain maps. I have always had a high win rate on Pharah because I picked her when the enemy team was foolish not to have a counter ready for defense and being unable to counter pick on defense is a huge weakness and exploitable for the attacking team.

4 Likes

That’s exactly in one rank.
In masters, she is already in the lower half when it comes to winrate

2 Likes

If a support is willing either mirror it or play echo and force a duel

1 Like

Which just so happens to be the one that matters when it comes to balancing.

It matters, but it’s not the only thing that matters.
Pharah doesn’t dominate in GM, she doesn’t dominate in high ranks, she doesn’t dominate in low ranks and she doesn’t dominate in OWL.
The only argument you have is “She has a high winrate with an okay pickrate”.
That’s not enough to get her nerfed

4 Likes

Phara in general is a pain in the butt. The problem is our community ignoring chars like her, Widow, & Hanzo shooting from afar. They should get priority focus every single time it’s safe to do so. We can’t keep having tunnel vision wanting to shoot what’s directly in front of us every time. Nerf or not, if at least one person from every class picks a char to deal & focus with her (Dva, Soldier, Bap for example)- she won’t be able to dominate lobbies- even with Mercy. This is why players like to run pharmacy because it usually goes uncontested. If you keep making her job difficult or kill her constantly, she’ll switch off. You’d be surprised how many Phara’s carry their teams. Get rid of her and her team usually falls like a deck of cards. This isn’t always the case, but a good portion of the time it is. Very frustrating to lose to a carrying Phara because my team refuses to switch &look up.

3 Likes

The majority of the countercomp to Pharah is:

• 2x Hitscan, or 1x Hitscan + torb
  • A shield (Orisa and sigma used to be good but they kinda suck now. Sigma is a bit better vs Pharah but he’s been hilariously overnerfed and isn’t always effective)
  • D.Va
  • BApTiStE
  • Zen, Mercy, or Moira. Moira is effective for healing and damaging Mercy reliably. She used to be better versus pharah, but with the Healing and Secondary fire nerfs, it can be a struggle to use Moira effectively.

If using Torb, shield up the turret and let it do work.

If they’re running Pharah + Tracer, you’re probably gonna have a bad time no matter what you do.

Just pick D.Va.

You’re welcome.

Wrong.

Pharah outranges Bastion and can shoot over/behind the shields with distance and angles. Bastion does not counter Pharah. It’s the other way around.

There has never been a better reply than this. If all OW players had this level of common sense and mentality the game would be in a much better state. Well thought out response!

1 Like

One is a Support and can’t do jack against Pharmercy.

And the other one is Widow… Good luck consistently finding good Widows in low/mid ranks in order to counter such an easy to run combo like Pharmercy.

I think you should reconsider Pharah’s “effective range” here, as it’s customary with projectile heroes, the amount of value they can get out of mindless high - ranged spam has always been ridiculous…

Completely agreed, OP.

Pharmercy especially is such a clear example of a terribly - designed, low skill - high reward (and now, oppressive) combo because it not only requires the enemy to be at the very least competent at Hitscans, which therefore crosses out the entirety of low ranks (don’t even get me started on console environments) from being able to counter the combo, therefore creating a major design problem in the meantime.

And even if the enemy can play Hitscan competently, the amount of skill required to play said sub - role cannot even be remotely compared to that required to run Pharmercy in the first place (which is composed of one of, if not the easiest - to - play hero in the entire game and Pharah, who can get so much value from mindless projectile spam that it’s crazy).

2 Likes

I didn’t say play bastion like widow. Get closer.

You realize Bastion is hard countered by Pharah?

I have 500ish hours on Pharah, and I would totally love enemies to switch to bastion always. Regardless of game. Free wins for everyone!

Damageboosted rockets are 156 damage per hit, target is immobile. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm