Performance based SR clearly aint working

and that acutally punishes you!!!

but that’s not what happened or what happens now.

Your random blip story is back from many season ago in an area of the system that has since been changed. It’s also a masters level player looking to break into the rare air that is sub top 1% of the entire player base. Oh and by the way at around the same time I went from meh no one cares low plat to meh no one cares low-ish diamond with a 58% win rate.
Sort of punching holes in this “Oh can’t rank up with 70%!!” vibe.

I mean by all means please link a person’s who’s stats are 70% win rate at 140w/60l and still unable to move up and out of the metal ranks.

sure the system feels cruddy, requires more games played and more wins in those games than blizzard seems willing to admit. Yet it’s far from the shattered broken “no one can rank up!!!” sort of system some players look to spin.

Almost every single player who has ever posted here on this forum about being hard stuck has the same issues. It’s either a losing record, did not play enough games for their SR goal or as a cruel twist IS winning but it’s like 51%-53% and that’s just not good enough.

thats a flawed system from the get go, cuase not every game is the same, there are so much variables that you can easily win with low dmg and still carry hard as example. So you get punished for carrying the wrong way.

3 Likes

That’s why the statistics based adjustment is a very small part of PBSR. According to Scott Mercer:

Are you a Platinum-tier player or below? If you performed particularly well or worse than what is considered a typical performance during a match, then there’s a small SR modification to reflect that.

SR gains and losses start at 24, and get adjusted by several things in Scott’s list.

no, thats the reason it’s flawed, it should be game based!

1 Like

What are these horribly flawed SR gains and losses you are receiving, and what makes you think it’s the statistics portion that’s harming you?

The reason I ask is because every SR gain or loss is game based. They start at +24 for winning, and -24 for losing. There are no adjustments that can change a -24 to a positive on a loss, nor can they change a +24 to a negative on a win.

The faster adjustments are there to help get alt accounts adjusted more quickly and out of gold games. Everyone is constantly complaining about so many things, but they’re there to work together to solve the problems people complain about.

Then there’s the myths that just don’t exist, and people still complain about those too.

i don’t think it’s harming me in climbing, it makes smurfs possible. They should be instantly pushed up or kicked if 5 times in a row dominating,.

So, does PBSR do too little, or too much? Should you (and smurfs, because until people report them for gameplay sabotage, they’re just like you) gain 24, or 24+PBSR adjustments?

it should do much more.

More than winning or losing?

it should ban players that magically overperform on 5 matches in a row, or are new and have low mmr in qp and then high stats in ranked… like they don’t smurf…

The game uses to many metrics to determine what rank you should be in. The fact there is no clear information how anything is determined is mind boggling.

1 Like

That sounds like a completely different topic. We were talking about SR gains and losses, and how much they should be influenced by statistics.

Are you defining a smurf as any account that has an inaccurate SR (such as alt accounts), or only ones that have intentionally deranked in order to play against the opponents they have now?

thats the same topic, cause in smurf games you automatically loose more cause your stats are worse.

OK, all kinds of jumps there.

What are these?

Lose more SR? I haven’t found that to be the case. Honestly, many games that I was destroyed by enemy smurfs have been small SR losses for me.

Don’t forget, the current PBSR statistic contribution to SR gain / loss is minor.

it should be major, only for winning team-

Played my first placement matches on my second account.
In one match we got a duo, both locking dps heroes (tracer+ doomfist) on Oasis.
I swapped of the dps i had chosen to fill main healer. (chosen baptist since tanks run bunker and our second healer was moira )
I noticed my tank and healers where pretty good, but the 2 dps were constantly off on their own (like most dpsers in these ranks) and consistently dying.
When the enemy already had 52% vs 0% and where kind of spawn camping us, i had enough of it. I swapped to dps and had gold damage/kills in no time. We took the point at first try and could hold it till we won. 2nd map was also an easy win. Even if the 2 dps kept getting them self get killed way to much (and of course never swapped off those 2 hard countered dive heroes)

So sometimes it is better to not play 2-2-2 and play what is needed most. We really needed damage and kills more then we needed healing, so i swapped, and turned a loosing game into a win.
Only bad thing is those 2 dps got carried hard and got win SR while they defiantly not deserved it. The next game they enter they will probably ruin the game for the rest of the team.

So many (especially dps players ) are ranked wrong in mid tiers. A dps player of rank high gold /low plat should already know when he is getting hard countered, let alone higher. All players above plat should know how to fight as a team. Know winning conditions. And team setups. If not you should not be able to rank up this high. But somehow this is happening a lot. Even on master you have now players who have no clue how to play this game.

Because you climbed with 58% doesn’t mean that someone didn’t get stuck at 70%. That is what happened.

How do you know it’s changed? Did Blizz come right out and say system was a bunch of crap and it’s been overhauled?

From my own experience, at 1700 was scoring 20 per win, 30 per loss with Mercy. Swapped to dps and got far better Sr gains. Easier to kill bad players than support them.

Played her again at 2200 in a short stomp game where our Genji carried us. I hardly healed or rezzed. Got 27 Sr.

What a bunch of crap. I play well in silver and Pbsr spanks me. I play badly in gold and get super gains.

Stupid broken system.

2 Likes

Yeah for the PSR issues past 3k.
It ran into issue with off meta heroes at higher SR. Totally different issue than why it’s still in for sub 3k.

Look the bottom line here is win percentage of all games played is all that maters. If a person can’t see it then they can’t see it… I don’t know how many times I can just circle back around over the same basic ground.

The game doesn’t rank up players who don’t play a lot of games while winning a huge chunk of them. The PSR stuff below 3k doesn’t impact one’s SR (go or bad) as much as playing a ton of games and winning most of them does when it comes to SR gains.
One of the main issues in lower SR is the full commitment to only DPS can win, only DPS can carry, stats mean anything/something etc etc etc… No, it’s really just about wins…

I don’t think we should punish ourselves.

Blizzard has implemented a ladder that requires time and obsession.

The ratio at which you lose and gain SR is so small that climbing out of your rank requires a full days work. That’s not a joke.

It’s not enough for people who have a day job, with great game sense and mechanical skill to have an opportunity at decent games. No, you literally have to take on Overwatch like a job.

Ranked is not performance based. It’s continuous time played based. The metrics may lean towards performance, but ultimately it’s your SR that counts towards your rank and when we’re talking incremental net gains of 5 - 25 SR based off wins and losses; in the grand scheme of things 500 - 1000+ sr is literally unobtainium unless you keep a poop sock in your desk drawer.

2 Likes