Pathetic Overwatch situation

Why are people getting banned for swearing? Literally everyone is talking about how awful the idea of it is, and its making this game worse than it already is. Saying things like the F-word and S-H-word is common in most games, and people in those games dont get any punishment. This isnt roblox, us overwatch players (the majority) are mature people who are above the age of 13 and you needa get rid of this crap, blizzard.

68 Likes

The reason is likely because they are swearing. Not entirely sure about that, though.

I highly doubt that.

19 Likes

Because it’s always been against the rules to use profanity in Overwatch. Hell, in any Blizzard game.

The question should be: “Why can’t people control themselves and feel like they need to use profanity when it’s unnecessary?”

15 Likes

Sounds like something a blizzard shill would say tbh.

25 Likes

Basic facts are basic facts.

You don’t have to like them, but you can’t change them.

2 Likes

prolly a new hire with a god complex…

4 Likes

Watch yo profanity

13 Likes

Swearing has always been against TOS. But you need to get mass reported and go through warnings and suspensions before ever being banned. If you are banned for your conduct it seems like they give you enough chances to correct it.

4 Likes

True. My statement is also a fact. It is something a blizzard shill, rep or employee would say.

However just because it may have always been against ToS, doesn’t mean it led to bans. Only now with the auto ban system in ow2 it is a thing. Even some few people with chat muted are getting banned.

Something we have to get used to.

5 Likes

No, your statement is an opinion.

In your opinion what was stated is something a shill, rep or employee would say.

Yes it has, multiple times. In fact in 2020 Blizzard handed out a large manual ban wave for people who were using profanity and being toxic in voice and text chat in Overwatch.

UPDATE (Oct 12):

In addition to the improved profanity filter and updated penalties for inappropriate language, we’ve also performed a manual action wave against some of the worst offenders of toxic language in Overwatch. This action will take effect with updates to profanity filter and penalties in the next live game patch.

3 Likes

Title made me laugh.

1 Like

Toxicity is one thing sure. Insulting people is one thing.

They never banned people for saying “ah f,”

Something that can happen with the autoban system. The matchmaking can and does put you in lopsided games all the time. The casuals can mass report for smurfing, which didn’t had happen as it was matchmaking putting you against noobs, and they can report you for throwing, which also may not have happened, as matchmaking can put you against 2+ ranks higher.

The report handed out may say along the lines of ‘reported for toxicity’

Auto bans now are not comparable to manual bans in ow1.

1 Like

Yes, they did.

Just because you haven’t been paying attention to it until now, doesn’t mean bans weren’t getting handed out. I report people for swearing, especially when that’s being directed at another player (doesn’t matter if its the enemy team or my team). I get “Thank you for your report, action has been taken.” messages from Blizzard all the time.

So I know people are getting actioned for swearing at other players. What that action is? I don’t know. But I know how Blizzard’s penalty system works, and you eventually graduate from account silences to long suspensions if you’re foolish enough to keep breaking rules after you’ve been actioned for breaking them in the past.

4 Likes

You actually report people just for swearing? That is some elite level snitching. I can understand if they are directing it at someone, naturally. But just passively? That’s pretty yikes.

17 Likes

Are you 9 years old or Mormon?

15 Likes

Never really understood why people care about those words in general. Intent is what should matter when using words. Which is why people now take offense to the term snowflake or even GG EZ (Can’t think of anything else that sounds ridiculous as an insult and is popular). I could call someone a rhombus and with the right tone they can tell it is meant as an insult.

1 Like

Which games?

I can’t wait to find out it’s one of the games that have zero moderation on voice.

1 Like

Because it’s against the rules Blizzard set up on their platforms.

5 Likes

Yes, because most of the time when I see it, it’s directed at other players. Either cursing at the enemy team, or someone throwing a fit at someone else in my team, and that type of behaviour is not acceptable in my mind.

I wouldn’t tolerate it if I saw it happening in real life. I am not going to tolerate it in the games I play either.

4 Likes

This is something that amazes me from americans

Infantilize adult people to the extreme
Then they make " series for adults " and it consist in characters swearing all the time and saying pee pee poo poo nonstop but gore is ok for kids in tv lol

8 Likes