Party Frames might be a huge W

A party frame doesn’t show any more information, then what the game already gives you, pressing tab shows you your allies ult charge and whether or not they are alive, and when you play support you can see allies through walls, and there health status, green model= good, yellow= took damage, and critical means god help me im going to die.

All this party frame does is put that info on your screen at all times so you don’t have to press tab.

The point is the game already gives you this info, it is still up to the player to make decisions based on the info. You still have to actively plan and react.

And I bet you, you will be able to turn off party info if you want to.

We’ll see.

If you don’t have to move around to absorb that info (attention resource), then it is taking a shortcut and presenting it to you, for a lower attention resource.

It’s an attention meta btw.

And lol watch it bog out people’s FPS and be bugged for the first 3 months.

Hopefully. Or customize it with what is useful for your current role/lobby.

You already don’t have to move to see the info, you do however need to move to actually use the info you have.

By “move” i meant moving, looking around, pressing tab, or asking in comms.
Spending io, attention, or frames to consume that information that isn’t an eyeball track away.

…You’re saying this UI shows nothing that isn’t already directly in front of you or currently on screen? if that is so, it sounds totally redundant.

1 Like

While I generally agree, there’s a certain level of base level of competency required to be able to enjoy the game really. The issue is if that base is too much. Personally I think perhaps yes and it can be overwhelming

Adding team healthbars still leaves a lot of skill involved, you still need to be able to track where your teammates are, their cooldowns, their ult, and the same for enemies among others. .

Also party frames will convey more info but in the fast pace matches of ow I still feel like the skill aspect is more important because keeping a mental note of these things is still much faster than tracking a healthbar.

I am actually not entirely convinced team healthbars is such a negative thing for the skill cap of the game whatsoever, it just increases the skill floor a bit and surely that can only make the new player and low rank experience better right?

1 Like

It’s really just doing a disservice to new players, giving them crutch UI to rely on as an artificial substitute for gamesense which will eventually leave them trapped in a nightmare where they have played the game a lot but have developed no OW skill, so they’ll be crushed by all the players who learned how to play the game and developed strong gamesense instead of relying on UI elements.

Then what? We add a UI element that tells you the ult charge of each enemy? Enemy CDs? Why not just have a coin flip UI to decide the match instead of playing the game?

It’s quite the slippery slope when you decide to design and balance your game around the lowest common denominator.

Understood, even with the information being easier to see you still have to look around, still have to press tab (as doing so can still clue you in on enemy ult progress) this change isn’t going to turn ow into an mmo where all you do is look at team health bars, your FPS skill and awareness will still be a factor.

1 Like

The game already does that, you can see when enemies are on fire, that usually means the enemy is doing well, so ult charge may be higher.

Also it’s quite a stretch to go from team UI to game plays itself.

lmfao you’re hilarious my guy

True.

This is an ongoing concern.

And I hate to bring up the patented rigging tech ™, but everything Aaron said in that recent blog points to more handicapping for TeAmPlaY.

His wording was almost word-for-word verbatim from some of the DDA patents, that seek to score, reward, and change in-game parameters through the lens of “TeAmWoRk”.

1 Like

Touché

I never realized that UI was such a touchy subject.

4 Likes

Didn’t you know, team UI is only the first step, next is ow becoming an idle game filled with rainbows and cookie dough Then the gay agenda will be fulfilled.:rainbow:

1 Like

If ult tracking is what is separating you from other players… you are a pretty weak member of your team.

Party frames should have been in the game from the beginning.

3 Likes

Anyone else remember this thread?

In case anyone doesn’t want to click: it’s a thread requesting party frames. It scooped up over a thousand likes.

I’m really happy that they’re going to give it a shot. I’ve always thought it should be in the game since day one.

4 Likes

You sound really desperate to convince us all that you have gamesense

4 Likes

I would see such a change as a huge L for the game, not a W

The last thing this game needs is further lowering of skill requirements for the support role.

If making dumb assumptions just to make weak attempts at insults is what separates you from other commenters, you’re pretty near the top of the list.

Ok…? Wow I’m just torn up by that slicing remark