OWL ruined Overwatch

Blizz didn’t ruin Overwatch. Players did.

1 Like

I think you have it backwards. If they were balancing for the league “easy play heroes” would not exist. What killed this game was catering to those who couldn’t play it, and dumbing it down so they could.

Oh and the absolutely worst competitive system ever…but that can be its own thread.

Why does this staff always pops up?
And it is always the same name, format and reason.

Aside from this being pretty wrong, this is basically spam at this point.

They didn’t just invest their own money into it, the expansion franchise cost was 60 MILLION dollars. There is not a chance in hell that the expansion owners will make a profit off of that.

Do you guys even realize how wrong you are?

Balancing around the top isn’t the problem with this game, hell Blizzard doesn’t even do that. The problem is this game has way too many casual aspects and too many heroes with dumbed down kits that provide way too much utility.

If they balanced around the pros why did hog get gutted back in the day? He wasn’t even a good or highly picked hero in higher levels of play.

This game is shallow and has grown stale as hell with boring and unchanging metas.

So yeah Blizzard wants their cake and they want to eat it too. You can’t have a super casual mainstream appeal type game and expect it to be some super long lasting esport.

it is actually very important to balance a competitive game around the right way it should be played, otherwise you will get a lot of true unbalancing issues, so blizzard is doing it right.

Eh it’s not the league that ruined it. It’s the devs and blizzards obsession with it and prioritizing it over the majority fan base that hurt the game.

1 Like

im a troll with 5 likes ok boomer

wait wait im supporting the league these guys are opposing it.

Not to get into a Political contest here. But greed in general from ANYTHING turns stuff into a MESS.

I dont care if you are crooked business owner or a crooked Government official. Both cause wars, uprisings and violence.

Yes, Overwatch league HAS ruined this game. Most, if not all changes made to this game are in the interest of league and NOT the player base. Rarely if anything has been about the player base since League was brought in. I don’t like it.

This was the same problem in World of Warcraft. Their Arena tournaments forced MOST of the patching in the game and made it very unpleasant for Raiders and dungeon runners.

Then Again, if this game was NOT profitable. They may have book-shelved it long ago.

Greed is a necessary evil. It is Yin/Yang to our society. You need one to have the other. The undying motivation to earn MORE of something in life, to drive you to motivate to create new and amazing things. So you can have… MORE.

Yeah I’m saying it’s not as black and white as the majority of people make it.

1 Like

Ana wasn’t at launch and mercy was meta over Lucio for years…

Please clarify which metas involved Mercy before moth meta. I vaguely remember a proto-dive comp where Pharah was picked instead of Genji, but I don’t think that was a dominant enough comp to be meta for very long.

And what’s sad, is that the game is now not satisfactory for either side. They introduced Hero Pools to keep the meta fluid in OWL, and now they have professional players running on a RNG algorithm every week as to whether or not they can run a strategy (at one point, they had a cat pick the banned heros) I love Norri, and it was entertaining to watch, but this is what they’ve turned the league into: forced entertainment, instead of letting it naturally grow into entertainment while having a competitive base. Imagine if a normal Sports Team had a draw where they said, “Okay, so this game, you cant play x, y, or z.” They take away the star players, and then wonder why they leave. . .
Losing people like Dafran, xQc, and then Sinnatra most recently really messes up the community.

Not to mention the fact that they moved to YouTube when Twitch wouldn’t renew their contract, and then it took the WHOLE SEASON to bring back viewer-rewards. . .I get the whole world state rn took away the Homestands, but that shouldn’t have been all they were relying on for the season to be successful. . .

They need to either choose to manage the game competitively or casually. Because the game won’t last until OW2 at this rate.

I agree in terms of how balance and certain states of characters are because of OWL. Mercy was broken every where and had to get the changes she needed.

What I’m bothered about his how certain characters like Zenyatta got his alternate fire nerf because of Jjonak even though the community can’t play at his level and considering how Zenyatta is very easy to kill and target by flankers and teamwork and communication isn’t that coordinated like OWL.

Then we have characters like Baptiste who are in a weak state and can’t really get much changes because of coordinated teamwork. But overall if your team isn’t playing a certain comp then Baptiste can’t do much.

It didn’t. If anything, OWL is what’s helping fund the development of Overwatch these days with sponsers like Disney, ESPN and this year the Youtube exclusivity deal while giving them server space for cheap.

The game outside of the top .01% of the player base is balanced. It just is. Anyone who says it isn’t doesn’t understand the game at all. Every hero is viable. This is just a fact.

Just because you haven’t’ figured out how to counter hero X in your plat-level games doesn’t make anything broken. it means that in a hero shooter with 32 heroes, you haven’t cracked one interaction between two specific heroes. That’s to be expected. It’s a big game. It’s a complicated game. You aren’t supposed to always win. You are supposed to be hard countered – frequently.

OW2 is a glorified expansion pack.

That’s just wrong. Lucio was in one of the very early metas (2 Winston/2 Tracer/2 Lucio) and was also in the beyblade. He remained a consistent top pick throughout Triple Tank when Ana took the crown. Mercy only became meta during moth.

OW2 has everything that Doom Eternal has (actually more on the non campaign side) so was Doom Eternal a glorified expansion pack?

OW2 doesn’t have anything besides the campaign though? Redesigns and heroes are gonna be free and therefore isn’t included in the price of OW2.

And I don’t know anything on Doom. Reason I say its a glorified expansion is because technically OW1 is going to become OW2 anyways so people will basically be paying to unlock story missions.