OWL ruined Overwatch

Doom Eternal is the sequel to Doom that has a campaign and a single multiplayer mode which to be honest is really shallow.

Overwatch 2 has a campaign and the horde mode which is probably at least more repayable than that Slayer vs Demons.

I could do this with a LOT of other games because having MP is not even a guarantee when buying games (argument I made over pricing). So basically does a full campaign with similar gameplay to side modes played before and a new multiplayer horde mode (I think they call it hero mode) make a sequel? Well the industry standards say yes.

I understand it’s subjective and all, but the minute I saw and read this, I stepped away from the rest. OWL didn’t ruin OW though, it’s just people aren’t good enough and that’s why people push the ‘say’ of “they’re playing a different game”.

I just don’t believe so, I believe that it was the communities fault more than anything. They hardly push OWL much, except recently during the Melee tournament.

I totally agree and disagree. They’re a company and companies do what they want. You really shouldn’t expect them to care much about their community.

Sure you can. You just don’t cater to the bottom 20% at the expense of the remaining 80%. The appeal can still be there, in the ability to climb out of whatever strata lower-skill-ceiling heroes (which are almost never as low, nor as difficult to counter, as those same strata imagine) are most effective as a byproduct of balancing them to still be viable choices at the top levels of play.

You don’t seem to understand the importance of esport.

if you have to incentivize players with skins,
then give them coins for watching
and then give them MORE coins for watching,
and people STILL don’t watch it,
perhaps they should just stop doing it.

Healthy game has a proper esport scene. Want it or not. I’m talking about games where esport would make sense and are big enough (for example esport in Battlefield game wouldn’t make sense).

OW esport was already proper before, it got canceled by Blizzard just to make OWL happened.

D.Va is currently sitting in the last played tank in masters and 2nd to last picked tank in GM.

But you know… she’ll never get buffed thanks to OWL.

Again, my case for tiering Overwatch into Overwatch Prime (full game with all characters and maps) and Overwatch Pro, a sub-game with inducted characters and maps. You simply cannot fully support both types of games in one like this, it just doesn’t work.

Name one casual game going for mass appeal that has made it as a long lasting esport.

Balancing around the best players isn’t capitalist greed; It’s how you make a game actually competitive, which is exactly what I want from this game. OWL has only improved this game.

that depends, would you consider Smash Bros Melee to be a casual game?

I watched Overwatch League on YouTube live of all places (what happened to twitch?) and it had maybe 60k people watching. The views were way higher when I was actively watching back on twitch. It was around 200k and even then people said it was low for what they were hoping for. Worst part is when I watched OWL recently the commentators sounded so bored and were struggling to look enthusiastic about anything. It was as if their dream job has become slavery or something. Tragic state of affairs. Oh and the gameplay isn’t exciting to watch at all.

Smash bros is a completely different type of game for one, and two no it isn’t.

It takes insane mechanical skills and timings to truly master that game. There’s no push button to win now mechanics.

It’s also a little disingenuous to proclaim smash as a major player in esports, it is extremely niche.