OWL ruined Overwatch

Those games built up a playerbase before they became esport. Their game mechanics were balanced for the regular players first.

4 Likes

Relax, the OWL is good in the long run. Sure, it sucks seeing characters adjusted for know apparent reason other than a pro cried about it on stream, but the OWL has made the game better in ways people overlook. I have friends who started to watch OWL, and then got hooked into the game. The OWL is also the most revolutionary concept in esports history. I think that the OWL has been one of the best things to happen to this game

1 Like

I agree with you 100%. Blizzard only cares about money and will poopoo all over their original legacy and what it meant to the fans to make a quick buck. That’s why so many people have left the game and won’t be returning for overwatch 2. Given their reputation I’m betting they won’t have even a fraction of the success with the sequel as they did with the first one.

Were they really though? They were reworked and nerfed for a lot of reasons. On both ladder and league. I agree a lot of focus has gone into OWL. and not too much popularity has come out of it. But mercy and sym got those changes and nerfs because a lot of people wanted it.

There was already a developing unofficial esports scene. But blizzard shut them down to make their own league and charge millions of dollars per team. If that doesn’t say cash grab I don’t know what does.

3 Likes

Honestly overwatch is just too casual and not deep enough to be a long term competitive esport.

Now there’s nothing wrong with going for a more casual mainstream appeal, but it just doesn’t fit when they forced esports so hard.

The fact that they couldn’t figure out that the big esport games grew naturally is honestly astounding. You can’t just say a game is an esport and throw money at it and expect it to be successful.

6 Likes

They didn’t “just say” it was an esport. You people are delusional. The games this weekend were some of the best ever.

This idea that Blizzard somehow screwed up by investing a ton of money into the league is just absurd. You people think players love playing for orgs that screw them over left and right? You think players like having no security whatsoever? You think OWL being on ESPN is a bad thing? You think making local arenas for every team is not just objectively awesome?

This idea that Blizzard has corrupted the purity of esports by investing money into it is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. If they didn’t, you’d all be complaining that they “let the esports scene die” by not investing. Without a doubt.

3 Likes

Not even close. Mercy? The I-cosplay-an-angle-grill is unique? Probably the most original is Hammond since it’s a hamster in a giant robot ball.

It’s been like that since OWL got introduced, nothing new here. First hero stacking got removed (granted, that happened before OWL, IIRC), then 2-2-2 and then role queue. All because that’s how “pros” play it, so you gotta play it like that as well. Anything that isn’t like “the main game” is deemed a subpar mode than moved over to arcade, probably on a random rotation. And yet people liked comp QPC so much it’s becoming a sub-mode of comp and Jeff says people like Mystery Heroes.

Symm was considered a troll pick when she was a support. After she got moved to DPS, she had a few good runs (unlike Bastion, who shined only at release).

That’s because people played Sym wrong. And people whined about Mercy because they could not aim and react quickly enough to kill her. Or manage ults.

1 Like

All pro players complain about how the game is balanced around casual players.

The game has to be balanced at the top because at the bottom for 99% of the playerbase the game is balanced. If you are not at the top of the ladder you can pick any hero and whether you win or lose is not dictated by that choice.

1 Like

*Activision

Fixed it for you, this the same company that makes Call of Duty at this point.

Nope Blizzard. Blizzard makes Overwatch. Activision does its own thing (just like candy crush is allowed to be candy crush).

That’s why they are on the same client now. :roll_eyes:

They are absolutely not like they used to be. They are very clearly controlled as evidence of the forced “sequel” announcement which Blizzard has NEVER done before for an active game.

If Activision had it’s way, I’m sure “World of Warcraft 2” would be on the horizon but it’s still making too much money unlike OW.

2 Likes

Yes because why pay 30% to steam when you do not have to?

Also Overwatch 2 is demonstrably as much a sequel, if not more, than Doom Eternal. And if you are arguing Blizzard never did sequels than Warcraft II Warcraft III Diablo II and Diablo III (in development 9 years) and Starcraft II (in development a blood eternity) would ALL like to have a word.

1. Mercy is the least unique character in this game. She has a bland design based on a cliche trope. The same thing counts for her abilities.
  2. Symmetra wasn’t reworked (twice) because of OWL.

mercy and sym were the two most busted heroes mass rez and shield gen ruined the game. No skill busted abilities

It’s because Sym was good for a minute and they can’t have the pro dps players on Sym and not Widow/ Mcree/ Hanzo etc. Doesn’t bring in as many views.

They honestly should have just left sym’s piercing orbs in the game. Only rein’s firestrike and moira’s orbs can pierce shields now. Would help her against a lot of bunker comps.

And yet she still dominates certain maps in OWL? The same as before, in fact.

The only hero mostly absent is Hanzo, and Ashe now takes the lion’s share of Widow’s niche when not at extreme ranges.