❌ OWL could disallow GOATs if needed

limiting variation is just covering up balance issues

1 Like

It would improve hero balance.

What if in the future, with more heroes added, there are at least 6 tanks that had shields like Rein and Orissa.

I bet you would love to play that kind of barrier watch with a 6 tank comp.

Balance comes more naturally when you limit the number of heroes each role should have on a team for every match.

1 Like

Not really. It’s more like hero limits back in the day. It’s recognizing that the game cannot be balanced to support a 6 DPS comp or 3/3 or quad tank effectively.

You know, the only other way to kill 3/3 besides something like this or a role queue or hero bans is going to be to nerf 1 or more heroes into the ground to the point where they won’t be usable. That’s the alternative is to kill at least one hero. And that isn’t a great alternative.

This is just role limits like hero limits not a ban.

2 Likes

Whether it’s good or bad balance is debatable. But irrelevant.

It’s the balance we have now, and it would be very unlikely and possibly dangerous to fundamentally change it in about a month.

So they are mostly going to have to work with what they have now.

1 Like

so basically…

your a dps player and you want to watch dps right?
cam is never on supports or tanks anyways, its actually fun to watch now

IMO, as much as people hate comps like GOATS, they need to be an option.

What we really need is more tanks and supports to give comps like GOATS more variety so that they can stay interesting, and give standard comps more ways to effectively counter them that don’t involve running a mirror.

1 Like

I’m almost exclusively a support player and I think 3-3 or 4-2 comps are awful for the game.

1 Like

I’m actually a tank player, but I have a strong preference towards a higher variety of heroes.
https://i.imgur.com/za44IXT.jpg

You literally can control your own camera, assuming the obvious next step of making that OWWC viewer be usable for OWL.

3 Likes

I don’t know what heroes GreyFalcon plays specifically. But I am a tank player. I play almost exclusively tanks with the occasional support hero thrown in, usually Mercy though sometimes Zen or Brig. Very rarely, and in QP, Mei or Bastion.

Anyway, it’s a good idea. It forces better game balance. And it will not only force DPS use, but it will also prevent the murder of some innocent support or tank hero. One very real way to kill Goats would be to nerf Lucio into the dirt. But does anyone really want to do that? It would kill Goats, but it would also kill Lucio. And people say the same about Brig and Rein now. Do we want those heroes to be sacrificed on the alter of Goats when we have a better alternative?

4 Likes

No it wouldn’t, it would hinder hero balance because they would have less data to work with. You’re literally pushing it under a rug so you don’t have to deal with it. That’s counter-productive to balance.

1 Like

The game had the possibility of 3/3 comps before and it was never an issue until now. It’s a result of balance, not the lack of limitations.

1 Like

Yes it would.

Please refer to Lumin’s post above you.

K, thnx.

3 Likes

Maybe OWL flopping because of how horrible the balance is would be good motivation for Blizzard to put out balance patches more than twice a year.

1 Like

Bans might not be the best idea but a min/max system could really help balance. Something that caps the number of hero roles per team should at least be considered.

3 Likes

No it wouldn’t.

1 Like

You meant to say: “as a result of adding more support heroes that can do AoE and Multi Target healing to the roster

2 Likes

A min/max system is a ban system.

1 Like

Yes, healing creep is part of the problem, which is an example of bad balancing.

1 Like

It has been a problem before though. Basically the 3/3 is quad tank again. Brig is acting as both a tank and a healer. The issue is stacking of synergies which is easily disallowable.

This happens whenever Lucio is actually a decent pick and is at least one other really strong healer (previously Ana, now Brig) to make the high health of tanks work.

This isn’t a solvable issue. it will keep popping up for the entire life of this game without a system to prevent this unless you just make all tanks/healers terrible. And why would we want that?

2 Likes

It’s not about balancing thou. It wouldn’t be an issue if you could only have 2 healers out of a pool of how many you want.

2 Likes