OW2 the end of Overwatch

Its high chance they simply like COD more thats why its a good thing for them.
I would not be suprised if COD would have bigger number of players than overwatch, and all those COD players will be happy they have more options for games.

I like to test it out on the off chance the game got better - I took like a 3 month break once and someone on the forums whinged at me that I ‘couldn’t judge the game if I wasn’t playing it’, so at least the fact that I log in once a week and try it out I can say with certainty that it’s still a crap matchmaker.

Plus I still really wish it was just good, change and letting go of stuff is… inordinately hard for me lol.

1 Like

No, that’s not what we’re talking about. Read these posts. These people are paranoid that they will log in one day and see “OW2: Black Ops Cold War 8” or whatever. They are untethered from reality.

It was way more of a shooter at launch than it is now. That’s why when they say they are pushing back to their “shooter roots” they use the word ROOTS. It’s not a new thing, it’s what the game used to be. Where it came from.

Incorrect, that is exactly what people are saying. For months now.

This runs 100% in contradiction to the playerbase shrinking dramatically as the game has drifted further from its shooter roots over time. People hated GOATS meta, when OW was at its most MOBA-like. If you like that type of gameplay, you are in the minority.

I’m pretty sure I saw some thing about how CSGo had ridiculously more players than a lot of games, it’s easily one of the most played games out there (unless I’m confusing it with something else, but I’m pretty sure it was the CoD franchise they were talking about).

That said, there’s really no benefit to making multiple games that are ultimately really similar or identical; unless it’s a franchise you’re updating and coming out with a new version of it, people aren’t going to flock to a game that they can already play, there’s no draw or interest.

With that game design mentality we’ll end up with games that all play the same, also very boring.

No one said that, and the fact that you’re being so hyperbolic and reactionary means I think you’re just trolling or trying to get a rise out of me.

I haven’t seen anyone in the forums say that the game will be literally CS:Go but you.

I’ve been on the forums for months, haven’t seen anyone say the thing you’re claiming they said. Have a good day bud, I don’t care to talk to you anymore.

2 Likes

Competition is good for games.
Or option to take a break from one title but still play game style you like is also good thing.

Incorrect. I’ve had this exact discussion about 100 times on here and elsewhere. You are in denial.

The coward’s argument. “You can’t really be disagreeing with me, you must be playing a trick!” No, I really think you’re wrong. Because you objectively are.

Then your monitor isn’t on.

This is a lie.

I would wholly disregard anything that Freedo puts out.

1 Like

Competition is companies in competition; in the actual market of making things, if two companies come out with an identical product, ultimately one will be the victor and get the lion’s share of customers/reputation, and the other will get significantly less. It’s like a literal thing they teach you in marketing and finance; you need your product to stand out and have a valid reason for being bought over the other guy, especially as we get away from base needs products like mops or food.

Also the target market that enjoys CS:Go is going to be ultimately different than the one that enjoyed original OW; there may be some overlap, but what they’re doing at the end of the day by moving the game in that direction is moving the overlap circle so that it’s less of a venn diagram and more just one circle; that may get them more CS:Go style players, but it will make them lose the people who were outside of that CS:Go picture in the first place.

In my experience the reason CS:Go is so popular is that boys like to play it with their friends and it’s an easy game to pick up and play as a group; I really doubt the target market that enjoys the hyper military, super realistic guns, camera shake etc. style are going to be interested in Overwatch’s clean, smooth, cartoonish aesthetic.

I see someone putting themselves out to market to catch a new target audience that really isn’t going to be into them, and it’s a yikes from me.

1 Like

Would you allow a sleasy salesmen on your front door? That’s OW2. All false promises and the whole community knows he’s full of poop.

4 Likes

lol that’s fair; I don’t put much stock into what they’re saying these days, but their voices are familiar and it’s easy to throw on an OW news video when I’m working so I listen anyhow. I was honestly just surprised to hear him praise the change/direction, because before that people were always praising Overwatch for -not- being CS:Go.

1 Like

Lol, you wish, there will be the new looming tank-dps synergy crisis also.

Mei does 90 dps with her left click in OW2 currently, and it pierces.

Combo Mei with Winston and you have 150 dps of piercing beams, which is enough to cleave squishies in 1.33 seconds with just those 2 sources of damage. Healing is getting nerfed, with in combat healing and focus healing deemed problematic, so there goes out healing as a counter. You only have 1 damage mitigation source: your sole tank, where as if this strategy was attempted in OW1, the two tanks would completely shut it down.

Mei + Winston rush comps would be meta until Mei gets her left click dumpstered, which would make her left click useless and make removing the freeze look idiotic.

Then there would be new cancerous synergies such as Zarya double bubbling a diver who is designed to dive for 1-2 seconds dealing heavy burst dmg and get out or blow up (such as OW1 Doom). If that became meta then the diver would get dumpstered, and they might actually be balanced, but just be broken with the double bubble synergy. At that point, do we stop Zarya from using 2 bubbles on teammates? What if she needs those 2 bubbles to compete with the other tanks for damage mitigation?

The neglect and removal of everything defensive such as healing, CC, and peeling teammates. Would be forced to be brought back after people get tired of rotating through cheesy tank-dps synergy metas.

If they neglect defense, it will be OW2’s fatal flaw until they bring back everything people whined about out of necessity.

6 Likes

Oh sweet jesus I hadn’t even thought of that :sob: Zarya double bubbling some curbstomping smurfer is going to make the game so much worse. I mean it’s bad enough that I’m consistently being given mismatched teams/enemies, but with a double bubble you could literally duo with a friend and hyper protect them with that and get charge for yourself…

And I thought a mercy pocket was annoying! Yikes.

3 Likes

So ?
And Doom isnt fighting character - he is more bursty genji with melee range.

It’s like saything that Sage in Valorant can heal so its MOBA

1 Like

OW stopped being overwatch the second they started forcing 2-2-2. It was beneficial to do 2-2-2 as a ‘base strategy’ but when Brigitte came out it broke the whole thing.
I can’t remember a new hero coming out and not completely throwing the game balance. Not in a good sense.

Also, who expected they would not go back on their word? It’s the same as “we will not remove heroes from the game”. Neat. All that means it that they won’t throw away artwork and skins already done. But can at any point completely rework a hero, as they did more than once with more than one hero.

5 Likes

It’s for the purpose of the league. More cod is for the league. League watchers and “pros” prefer more aim based game. Now people can see sick plays by dps pew pew pew.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t see what the problem is? The game still has unique heroes and unique play styles, it is still more action intensive than any other fps on the market, definitely not going the opposite direction and playing like csgo or val? Literally the opposite. Push is not just a deathmatch mode, we don’t have access to the game, no one has any real strategies formed yet? Where is the issue, OW2 is new, OW1 was not sustainable or they would not actually be changing anything? Did you want them to release OW2 and just keep pvp 100% the same?

Another thing people forget is that we’re still getting new heroes, the current 32 cannot just be thought of alone. You have to think that anywhere between 3-8 will be added all at once and that’s gonna break the game no matter how much they rework, if they keep 6v6 or not, etc. OW2 keeps the team based heavy action you all love, but makes it a bit more forgiving in terms of having to rely on the entire team. I don’t see a problem here? And no I’m not a dps main, I just do not see a real issue with OW2, pvp, or pve. They are growing the IP, grow and adapt to the changes.

Edit: As long as characters like Doomfist, Brigitte, Genji, Tracer, Echo, Pharah, Baptiste, Lucio and so many more exist and basically the entire tank role, this game will never be like CoD or csgo or val. They would never actually rework say Genji to hold a dang rifle instead of double jumping and using Shurikens. You aren’t losing anything really, just adapt.

Edit 2: And before anyone comes @ me with the nonsense of supports are not supposed to frag out and do damage, Baptiste and Zen would love to have an entire TED Talk with you on why you’re wrong.

Let’s also remember most things we’ve seen aren’t even final yet.

Old Ken Levine even came out earlier this year and said they had enough cut content for 5 or 6 new games. I guess it was more important that he retcon Bio 2 out of the lore, but I’m not starting in on that, I’d be here all day.

1 Like

It reminds me of the old Overwatch… I played day one, and… gosh.

I remember back when matches actually lasted a good chunk of time, heroes like Bastion could actually be fun to play… you weren’t always constantly anxious because of needing pixel perfect aim to win games within sixty seconds.

I miss Overwatch…

1 Like

I also have my concerns for OW2. Hopefully they don’t mess the game that bad when it finally comes out.