OW2 could go the way of Cyberpunk

I can’t wait for my favourite heroes to be 16x the detail.

6 Likes

People are way too hard on Cyberpunk 2077. Its release on older generation consoles was undoubtedly a debacle, but it dominated the conversation too much and eclipsed the fact that there was a lot to love about that game.

I played the game on PC. It ran like a charm. There were some visual bugs, but they were uncommon and minor. I got about 120 hours of game time out of it, and it was well worth my money. There were fun builds to try out, interesting places to explore, memorable characters and some beautifully written quests.

The game’s not perfect. I’d certainly like to see some systems fleshed out more, a longer story, and more of the excellent quests, but there’s room for all of that in the future.

I hope (and expect) Overwatch 2 has a much better launch, but I wish that people would stop using Cyberpunk as a go to reference for a poorly developed game. There are much worse offenders out there, some of which were quite high profile.

4 Likes

the game is immense and city is huge. the amount of details that are in ever facet of game is amazing. of course its not a perfect game, the A.I. is laughable and i think the cop A.I is better in the Grand Theft Auto series. plus it seems that a lot of people dont like the narrative/story for it and i can kind of see it. the keanu reeves thing i can see why they probably had to redo a bunch of stuff in the game because they signed him later (quests/missions, voice acting and maybe some other stuff)

i am spoiled on perspective maybe since i can run it on ultra graphics on pc, maybe its a diff experience for consoles (dont know since i dont own one)

2 Likes

I occasionally revisit the game, and I usually end up discovering something new. There’s a staggering amount of detail work and personality that went into it, and there are so many “Wow!” moments in the city and in some of the quests. It really doesn’t deserve reputation that it’s gotten, but then again - I also don’t own a console.

2 Likes

This is why indie scene is booming. Smaller team for a more focused vision. Too many cooks in the kitchen and this is what happens.

1 Like

I don’t think so.

As much as we like to call Overwatch a buggy mess, it’s generally a pretty stable game. OW2 simple builds on top of it and it’s been building on top of that foundation for several years now. (work started on OW2 in 2017).

Will there be bugs? Yeah, of course. Hopefully most of them are addressed during beta. Will it be Cyberpunk? Nah.

3 Likes

What I am expecting is some features meant for OW2 may not make it to launch ala Halo Infinite.

For example, there maybe a couple features, heroes etc. that won’t make it to launch but will be announced as future releases for later in the year.

Hoping 5v5 was cut and more then likely it was. Because it would take a ton of changes to make it even remotely playable. Right now they need to focus on getting the PvE finished cause if that’s not ready OW2 will be dead on release. Last I heard they weren’t even remotely close to done with the PvE.

Other then a cash grab the whole reason for OW2 was the PvE. And they even upgraded the game engine to make the PvE possible. So if they scrap the PvE and just do the 5v5 stuff they’d be shooting themselves in both feet.

5v5 wasn’t very well received by a good amount of the community. So betting on something that could backfire with the current state of OW and blizzard would be a huge mistake.

They had to make use of a new engine cause they couldn’t use the one from the Witcher and with the covid-19 pandemic they couldn’t get their hands on console testing kits due to security risks.

Case by case basis. I bet the game, got 80+hrs out of it and all the endings with only experiencing 3 crashes and a few visual bugs (mostly the naked V Bug) on the PS4 base version while one of my friends experienced more issues playing it on the PS5.

Another person I know had issues on PC (though they admit they are running on low specs) so idk :man_shrugging:

When Microsoft brought Bethesda I think nearly everyone forgot that dumpster fire.

1 Like

Good thing I’m not planning to buy it any time soon.

Sounds great. By then the PVP will be complete and then the pve will be added in chunks or some…(for whoever buys ow2 for pve lol)

Early Overwatch basically was cyberpunk tbh lmao… remember rein shatters? It’s also STILL very easy to see T-Posing in this game if you look hard enough.

Deadlines are rather typical in the industry, and in any industry for that matter. Doesn’t mean it will end up like Cyberpunk.

1 Like

If its revealed that all this time they were just goofing around instead of actually working it will. Keep in mind they say they’ve been working on OW2 this whole time and they claim its mostly done. But so was WC3R and it was just a remake, look how badly that went.

Not to sound like a Blizz fanboy, because I am not but … bro, they have to screw up ultra hyper mega HARD to even go near the ballpark of the scam Cyberpunk was.

Cmon man …

2 Likes

theres no winning with the forums, either

“lmao overwatch 2023 dead game, im quitting bye”

or

“lmao rushed game, it will be garbage im quitting bye”

4 Likes

this is exactly what I’ve been telling people about. if rather wait for a finished game than have a buggy rushed game

I think this is one of things wrong with the industry now. Investors get so excited to see early purchases and you’d think this would go into more development for a more polished release. But it’s instead spent on other stuff not related to the actual game.

I mean, for what it’s worth, it seems OW (project titan) also was given sort of an ultimatum when they converted it to OW, a very functional game.

Just saying that sometimes giving too much leeway to devs makes them pressure themselves to have everything, and it’s simply not realistic and it ends in development hell. Not to mention that further development can come after launch, to expand the game in a timely manner.

1 Like

Tbf this has happened with Spyro as well, I believe most people think Spyro 2/3 are much better than 1, but the remasters didn’t have enough time to flesh out 2/3, which is why I enjoyed Spyro 1 more on the remasters

It’s a very Activision moment