OW 2 Combat healing debuff

Ah, so we are turning into mobile repair packs.

2 Likes

hm. If it means stronger utility though i guess its a nice tradeoff. But i doubt its gonna be so…

I’m still holding out. We’ve only seen a few minutes of an early build of the game, there’s still time for more rebalancing.

Good ideas, unfortunately it’ll interfere with respawnwatch development. :grin:

Idk, I like being able sustain a team, it makes me feel powerful as a support. Literally no idea why I’d play support if I couldn’t manage to keep my team alive with healing.

3 Likes

Healing is sorta too powerful right now. The only true counter to it is massive burst damage or antinade, neither of which are particularly popular. But if you don’t have those things then nothing ever dies due to the crazy amount of sustain that’s in this game right now.

If they buff support utility to compensate, then this is a step in the right direction imo.

that makes no sense at all…the math might be right but the conclusion is wrong.

1600hp is the rough estimate of 6v6…so healers will be healing a max of 1600hp

1200 is the rough estimate of 5v5…so healers (without debuff) will heal a max of 1200hp

they already will be doing less healing without the debuff because of one less person to heal.

what the debuff does is not necessarily reduce healing but slow it down so you cant heal as efficiently as you do in OW1. this does fall in line with their plan to reduce fight times and increase the pace of battle/game…however the problem is Overwatch in general is a bursty type of game and this reduction to healing makes healing in general less impactful. So you cant rush in as a dps/tank and expect your healing to keep you alive.

The problem is the Dev team made all the changes (remove cc, less healing, 5v5) thinking players will continue playing the game the same way they do…that will not be the case.

the pros will change there play style and what we will end up with is a gameplaye similar to Valorant( which i personally find utterly boring). You will be hiding all game and then in a short period of time just pounce on healer then repeat based on priority of targets. Highly doubt you will have the fun high intensity team fights. It will be 2sec team fights where who ever got the first pick will just stagger it and win.

Mark my words after ignoring the community they will come back and realize these changes just ruined the game and will slowly patch in fixes as content claiming that they are listening to feedback. That is the Blizzard way of developing games.

3 Likes

I’ve wanted a difference in combat vs out of combat healing for ages.

I’m skeptical for the value used as is, though. But I’m curious to see more (again- I know we have an incomplete picture)

In general I’m fine with and understand the desire for less healing in combat. I feel the devs have struggled with “sustain” overall in regards to balance since ana came out.

But I do feel if it’s going to be reduced that much- the supports will need better utility to offset it.

Supports aren’t “healers”. They don’t need to do 1-200~ combined healing per second to be viable.

But if they’re balanced around 30-50~ healing per second each “in combat”, that’s going to feel bad to use in and off itself. You want to feel powerful- so that power will need to come from elsewhere i think

1 Like

I feel like the healing debuff is just a really lazy way to add lower healing in the OWL patch because they barely touched the other characters in regards to changes.

It’s going to be 2 more years before OW2 arrives because they basically need to scrap everything character related and rebuild to fit their DPS 5v5 vision.

1 Like

I mean, healing outside of a fight is already dead easy and not very interesting. The teamfight is where the action is, and that’s where a support player wants to feel like they have impact. Watching your teammates crumple during a fight, being unable to help them, is not offset by being able to hand them a juice box between clashes.

5 Likes

The trouble is that the support player community has been spoiled by having high healing output. Anything less than being able to stop death completely isn’t acceptable any more.

Supports should be supports. Not healers. Healing should still be a thing, but it should be mainly out-of-combat. In-combat, utility should win over raw healing output.

1 Like

I mean I wasn’t going to say it. I was thinking it. But I wasn’t going to say it.

Absolutely agree with everything you said though.

I’ve never played TF2, but if it means I can’t keep my team up anymore, then I’ll likely stop playing. That is unless supports somehow get something in return, like better utility.

Maybe I’m not understanding it, but what does that mean for the role overall? If I’m a really good support player, an equal level DPS will be able to kill my team?

Yes and more, they will dictate the flow of the game and even your ultimate charge. Support engagement with the game will drop drastically if this is implemented. Your combat infuence will essentially become lackluster dps and hoping you have some good utility to throw around, because saving teammates isn’t influential any longer. If you don’t have good utility and you’re not a great shot? You’re just SOL.

2 Likes

Reduce the healing by 25%, then increase the damage by 25% too. Otherwise what you have is a s*** role that nobody wants to play. And if you think queue times are bad because of lack of tanks now, just wait til OW2 when there’s nobody to play support.

2 Likes

Yeah, spoiled by being able to do stuff. Oh no.

Healing has never outpaced damage or kept up with damage like you’re erroneously and disingenuously suggesting. It mitigates part of it. That’s how supports impact fights. If you take that away you take away the ability to affect the game. I’m not going to be a mobile med pack. No thank you.

6 Likes

Medic overheals, you absolute crazy person. The in combat healing matters less when you’re increasing durability across the board.

They’re copying the downside of medic without the bit that makes him valuable.

3 Likes

All i’m going to say is if this change goes live and Mercy doesn’t recieve any tweaks anywhere, people are going to realize just how overstated her blue beam is very quickly.

Yeah, blue beam is great for getting ult charges and amping for key cooldowns and is good at helping bump up reliable DPS, but that is absolutely not going to be enough to make her remotely viable if her already pretty low healing gets cut down by 25%.

6 Likes

It’ll be fine. You can swap to your pistol and be a Fischer price DPS.

That’s why you play mercy, right?

2 Likes

In TF2, the stock Medigun does 24 HP/s of healing in-combat (when your healing target is taking damage). When someone hasn’t taken damage for 10 seconds, the amount that you heal them ramps up to 3x healing (72 HP/s) over the next 5 seconds (if they don’t take more damage). So in competitive leagues, it’s a common practice for less important heal targets (like Scouts) to wait for this ramped healing (called crit healing), as so to take up less of the Medic’s time.

And I personally don’t like how supports impact works like that. I personally feel supports should be utility first, healing second.

And I’m not suggesting that. I’m suggesting that support utility be increased so they can have more impact beyond healing in team fights. The healing would then come into play if a fight is won.

I mean that’s a bit uncalled for…