Overwhelming evidence the shop is failing

Steam reports the top selling games each week.
During last week, Overwatch ranked 19th place. All that was new this week was the battlepass
During the week of 3/12, Overwatch ranked 55th place. This was when the cowboy bebop collab was out

So a “measley” (by blizzard standards) $10 battlepass is making more money than a big hyped up $56 anime collab bundle, and it’s by a colossal margin. The out of touch Calfiornian blizzard dev team is incapable of comprehending how less people buy something when it is overpriced. They would rather make less money on their game and have a less happy playerbase than swallow their pride and admit their pricing scheme is unhigned, so instead they triple down on the delusions and start putting epic skins in $25 bundles this week

17 Likes

They really want whales; however, the intrinsic issue is that whaling has no value in Overwatch. It’s a weird demographic to target…

30 Likes

This is somewhat unrelated, but how many people actually use Steam to play Overwatch?

8 Likes

why not? steam is based. praise gaben. i’d have used steam if i didn’t already have a battle.net account… actually, can you even make alts with steam?

1 Like

Last I heard, Steam users are about 11% of the PC playerbase.

8 Likes

I wasn’t trying to bash Steam, I use it as well, but not for Overwatch haha. And I doubt you can make more than one account with Steam either unless you just make an entirely new Steam account.

1 Like

Then you need to multiply the sales by around 8 times at least cos so many more people buy and play through battle.net Overwatch. For example. If steam got 20k sales and was 10% of the PC player base then the real/average number of sales across all pc would be 20,000 + (20,000 × 9) =200,000 sales

2 Likes

You are kind of ignoring the fact that Mercy mains were buying either the battlepass and all the tiers or straight up buying the mythic prisms because the amount of Mercy mythic skins I saw from different people those first few days was literally INSANE. Mercy mains could fund a solution to homelessness and world hunger if we offered them a Mercy legendary skin upon completion.

16 Likes

mercy mafia is real and could be an actual mafia… scary.

4 Likes

This is probably huge. I saw wayyyyy too many day 2 Mercy mythics for people to be grinding out the pass.

This BP and the new mythic system are some EZ cash for blizz.

2 Likes

You do realize that steam sales are not only sales in this game, right?

4 Likes

It is a trend, the same trend will roughly apply on each platform. If something sold better on steam, it also sold better on battlenet and console

4 Likes

What Activisuon/Blizzard game sold better on steam than OW?

Truth.

4 Likes

Just wait until Garrett pops out from thin air and tell how everyone is wrong because OW2 moves up by one place for a week

5 Likes

Is this surprising?

The battle pass has a huge amount of cosmetic items for the majority of heroes (and by relation players) in the game. The cowboy bebop pack is 5x the price and only appeals to 3 specific heroes. If you’re not a major fan of that anime or those specific heroes, why would you spend money?

2 Likes

What i heard is that Pink mercy should come back to cure cancer :moyai:

1 Like

Yeah sure, but then again, you are still tracking 12% ish of the sales, which at that point is very little actual data to extrapolate.

Also the rankings are absolute, not in proportion, so they are meaningless when it comes to sales or player count :person_shrugging:

Garrrlet when OW gets objective criticism :exploding_head::angry::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::triumph:

3 Likes

Enough that in the past it has been ‘top selling’ and multiple times at starts of seasons, at that.