Overwatch port might be coming to Switch?

A theory I came up with when I put 2 and 2 together:

It could be ‘top secret’ due to the fact that Nintendo would be announcing it on a future direct or in some other form. What do you guys think?

2 Likes

Top secret? Sounds like a mobile royal battle with monthly subscription.

If Activision was involved, probably

I might play it once or twice if it was a free title for the switch. Not paying for the game again, especially for a worse version.

2 Likes

I doubt it.

The current players would be pissed if the baited secret was just a Switch port because it means nothing to them cause they already have the game

I swear if Overwatch DOES go to Switch, it’ll just further convince me Tracer is coming to Smash

2 Likes

Just flag him and move on, he’s being a troll.

Don’t y’all have Switches.

To be honest, I was thinking this would be a possibility.

When they were so focused on speeding up harddrive/memory processing speeds.

Not to mention Overwatch has tried to maintain a relatively family friendly design. Like Nintendo games.

2 Likes

Their best reveal at the last Blizzcon was their mobile Diablo game. Give them some credit.

The devs were really concerned about hardware limitations when asked in the past, even suggesting that they would need Nintendo to make an upgraded Switch before they could port it. I know they’ve been working on making the game run better, but I doubt they’ve gotten that much done.

What source did you hear that from?

And then recently they did a patch that required a “complete reinstall” that completely redesigned the data architecture to speed up harddrive/memory processing speeds…

And Blizzard already put out Diablo on Switch, so they know the data structures they would need to make it work…

And Blizzard sold OWL team ownership for $20-40 Million dollars each, with the promise of somehow expanding the OWL audience…

1 Like

It’s from 2017, but the way Jeff talked about it like it just wasn’t a possibility at all makes me hesitant to speculate. That’s the kind of thing that would need an official announcement to even think about, not just “We’re still open to it”.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-overwatch-isnt-on-the-nintendo-switch-explained-2017-5

What would it take to get "Overwatch" running on the Switch? The answer is almost certainly "more power," and that's a possibility in the not-so-distant future.
"These companies like Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo, they're so good about working with developers. And they evolve their technology over time," he said. Consoles like Sony's PlayStation 4 Pro and Microsoft's still-unreleased "Project Scorpio" Xbox One, for instance, add horsepower to the existing PlayStation 4 and Xbox One platforms (respectively). Nintendo's notorious for doing this as well — there are over a half-dozen versions of Nintendo's 3DS handheld, for instance. The latest versions are more powerful than the original version.
"One of Nintendo's most successful platforms is 3DS," Kaplan said. "And watch how many times they upgraded that over time. You don't want to snap judge, you want to have the conversation, because we don't know what's in the plans. We want to understand what their plans are, because just because something might not be feasible now doesn't mean that at some point in the future it might be an option for us."