Overwatch opens on second monitor after PC restart

For some time now, every time I restart my PC and launch Overwatch it first opens on my second monitor. I have a 144hz and a 60hz monitor, my 144hz is my primary monitor and everything else opens on it yet for some reason Overwatch always opens on my second after reset. If I’ve opened Overwatch once and changed the monitor in video settings it will keep opening on my primary screen until I restart my PC.

I’ve wiped my PC since this started happening, reinstalled Overwatch, updated video drivers. Nothing seems to help. It’s not too much of a hassle to just change the monitor it sends the gameplay to but it’s an inconvenience.

If Overwatch isn’t saving your setting, you may want to try the steps outlined here:

It’s only my preferred monitor that is not being saved. I also don’t use windows defender, I use Norton Security. I’ve also manually confirmed in my anti virus that it should not interfere with Overwatch in any way.

The Overwatch folder is classified as a “Read-Only” folder, anything to do with that?

Nah, mine is too, and it’s saved. Does your desktop setting have the monitors numbered correctly as well?

If you completely disable Norton, does it save?

Windows has them labeled correctly, disabling Norton does nothing, after reset still opens on second monitor.

From some testing I can tell that if I spam click on my monitor after pressing the play button in the battle net launcher it opens on my primary monitor.

Is it set as the primary monitor, or are they just labeled 1 and 2?

Asking because of this:

And also this:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-games-wont-pick-my-new-better-monitor.3223996/

It’s set as primary monitor and it’s labeled as 1

While I have seen this mentioned a few times, it has always been resolved by a local setting on the computer. Did you also check the GPU driver software to see how monitors are labeled there?

Sorry to interrupt…
There actually might be a bug somewhere. I recently upgraded one of my monitors to a displayport 144hz and now the monitor numbers in Overwatch do not line up with the numbers in the nvidia control panel or the Windows 10 display settings.
According to windows the 144hz monitor is display 1, according to Overwatch it’s display 3.
It doesn’t bother me as I worked it out but it would seem like an Overwatch bug as no other program seems to have this issue
Back to your normal programming :slight_smile:

I don’t work at Blizz, but to my knowledge it pulls the assigned numbers from Windows/GPU drivers, it doesn’t decide them on its own. I am also using a similar setup, with the primary and better monitor on Display Port, and it is loading on that monitor every time.

I would have thought the same. Here is a picture of the settings…
imgur com/a/kHyFe51

Maybe OP has the resolution set to something outside the primary monitor’s ability, or wrong aspect ratio/resolution?

1 Like

If OP runs fullscreen, perhaps testing with borderless window, restarting and see if the problem continues?
Might help at least test that theory?

my 144hz primary monitor is labeled as 1 in my Nvidia control panel as well.

In Overwatch my primary monitor is monitor 1, it just opens on monitor 2.

I run 1920x1080 144hz fullscreen.

I’ve tested in bordeless and in windowed, after reset without fail it opens on second monitor unless I spam primary monitor

Maybe another app is fighting it for control of monitor 1? one comment on Reddit said teamviewer was doing that.

I don’t have teamviewer installed. I have shadowplay running all the time but that shouldn’t be causing an issue?

I’m not sure because I don’t use that app, it always causes fps loss for me. At this point I think it would be best to open a ticket with the staff. They can examine your system files and make sure you don’t have any conflicts.

Alright, thanks for trying to help.