Overwatch lost its identity

The problem is that Overwatch was advertised as a fast-paced shooter.
All those MOBA elements you listed, barring Torb armor, bogged the game’s pace.

1 Like

It was advertised as a fps/moba hybrid with fast gameplay. Which relatively speaking it’s always been fast paced.

I agree that some of these needed to be changed. The thing is though they didn’t replace the moba elements with improved moba elements. They just default everything to a fps style

28 Likes

It’s the same game…outside of mass Rez (right decision btw) they really haven’t gotten rid of anything…stuff has just been repurposed in an attempt to address problems…like you can’t just let them sit there

And I’d like to point out that many of those problems/changes you listed have been at the behest of the very community that plays it

We can’t just ignore that we have complained about barrier watch…or the amount of cc…or 2cp…or the speed of the game

Like yeah it’s supposed to be a blend of a shooter, moba, etc…but some of those things are at odds with each other (and the players) and need addressing

People act like everything was fine and dandy early on and I’ve seen people complaining about all this stuff pretty much the entire 4.5 years I’ve been playing

6 Likes

You forgot to mention the role queue which is not new in the gaming and 5v5 format, which is also not new.

2 Likes

The root of the game isn’t being abandoned, it’s being changed. What it is being changed to may not be for everyone. I can see myself dropping the game when the 5v5 changes hit.

Won’t be the first time a game changes to something I don’t enjoy and I stop playing. Had the same thing happen to Fortnite (the real Fortnite, not the costume party royale mode).

Can’t tell if you were responding to me or the thread (forum flaws)…but since you brought those up

RQ - was also basically begged for by community…and my only personal problem with it was the forced locked 222 part…which they then walked back when they added OQ/QPC… it again a highly REQUESTED feature

122 - which worth reminding nobody has tried yet - is a direct response to the community’s apathy towards playing tanks and the problems that causes for the game…a problem which has existed since long before RQ even and they haven’t been able to fix

3 Likes

Only if we have a way to rocket jump

3 Likes

I’m not saying the game was perfect before. It was far from it, but it did have a completely different atmosphere to it.
Like I said, some of the changes were definitely needed. But the thing is they didn’t maintain moba elements. They just replace them with more fps elements which just homogenizes the game instead of promoting a diverse range of playstyles.

Example for mercy when mass res was too strong instead of giving her a infinite ammo pistol. She could have converted the mass res circle to a light spell circle similar to one of her pog intros. Then it could have super charged her team in it with damage boost + steady heal or increased health, ect. So she can offer something for her team and still make plays with ressing a whole team

4 Likes

Wait what? Mei is losing her freeze, the most “iconic” bit of her entire character but Ana gets to keep her sleep dart?

4 Likes

From what they said so far. That’s the direction in mind

4 Likes

Your heroes stand around playing Rock, Paper, Scissors.

1 Like

You do need to sit back a bit and try to see why they are removing it.
In a 6v6 setting you got a second tank to either support you or your team.

In 5v5 freeze would be generally a death sentence for the one tank. Sleep Dart can miss or be blocked in some way. You can’t really miss freeze on a tank.

1 Like

I mean, on a tank you’re not really going to miss. You can miss-time it, sure, but you can also shoot it from all the way across the battlefield, whereas Mei needs to get in your face to freeze you.

What I saw of the 5v5 tanks seemed somehow even more depressing than what we have in 6v6. I’m not holding high hopes.

19 Likes

I personally don’t mind freeze going, I just have an issue with it being removed which is alot of utility for Mei (crowd control, ability blocking/disabling, stopping ults, bringing down shields etc.) and replacing it for a budget sym/zarya left click with less range and harder to use

It’s keeping the slow… so there’s that.

From Jeff’s post on a 3/2/1 experiment that evidently morphed into 5v5

The devs themselves admit to changing their base thinking on the game. Maybe not on the specific things you addressed, but definitely feeds into them

10 Likes

Hardly, if you look at the slow it’s like being hit by 1 tick which is basically pointless. They also better buff her ult to what it used to be because in it’s current state if you don’t stack left click with the ult you aren’t freezing anyone.

1 Like

My concern for it is the primary damage still being bad. It works with freeze because it holds a target in place to use your awkward secondary. That doesn’t work well if it only slows a target. It’s damage would have to be significantly higher and capable of actually killing something on its own

1 Like

Blizzard might stay the same. The main thing that was lost was the ability to guarantee a long freeze on one person.

I think people will still pathetically run from a Mei m1-ing them tho.

It looks like it is higher from what I saw during the presentation stream.

1 Like

It’s that creepy smile. No good can come from looking into that demon’s eyes.

1 Like