Overwatch League Hero pickrates per stage graphically

Credit goes to reddit user u/5camps

19 Likes

Ok.

Well, I can only conclude that this game was, is and likely will always be a terrible esport in terms of variety.

9 Likes

I miss the good old days of dive

4 Likes

According to this graph season 1 was dive and season 2 is goats. Good to know!

Here’s hoping next stage, we’ll get to see more than just one kind of comp. Cause if it goes back to ONLY dive or stays goats, it’s gonna be another rough one…

D.va and Zenyatta have been in the top 5 most picked heroes throughout all 6 stages.

Interesting.

4 Likes

Defense Matrix and Discord Orb. Both must haves. Always and forever.

6 Likes

… because they are OP. not because of their inherent existence or design. that’s not a good argument.

Who is arguing here?

nevermind then. if you believe the abilities are OP then we are in agreement. however, I see a lot of people saying that the existence of discord orb and defense matrix just inherently makes them a must pick, and they say zen and dva are actually completely balanced despite this.

Maybe it’s a bit of both. Comparing Discord Orb to Mercy Damage Boost… I’ve always thought that “why am I boosting this ONE person when everyone on the team can get boosted instead?” As for defense matrix, I guess the closest we have in the game now is Immortality Field, in terms of just ignoring damage.

Are they OP? Uh… I dunno… I haven’t made up my mind yet. But if the heroes are picked non-stop in literally every single scenario, well… something’s going on.

And people wonder why people laugh when they say that OWL/OW had more variety before goats…

4 Likes

to be honest, i’m completely fine with dva and zen staying the way they are (significantly OP but not enough for me to care), because they are at least fun to play against and fun to have on your team, and they require a lot of skill to play to actually do well. i’m fine with heroes like this being on the stronger end of the cast, unlike I am with brigitte and sombra who can completely ruin your experience

2 Likes

well it did… the 6th most picked hero is 72% this stage and was usually about 30% or below in previous stages. not to mention that an entire role is being left out of the top 6 in this stage…

I am excited to see what awaits Season 2 Stage 2. I feel like there is some room to experiment, not to mention they only have two week to come up with viable strats.

Dva mains be like, “Dva isn’t the most picked tank in pro play anymore, she needs a buff.”

3 Likes

This. I feel like we’ll still see a ton of Goats, but there’s more wiggle room for some varied comps to slip in on more maps.

The best part about delaying the season start is that now the season allows for the addition of 2 new heroes, which means we will get more stages like stage 4 of S1 where teams get to experiment.

1 Like

It had noticeably more variety

Or are you blind?