"OvErWaTcH iSnT dYiNg"

I’d certainly hope a decade old game that doesn’t add much more characters or weapons could work to getting balanced.

1 Like

Tf2 only got balanced because Valve stopped bloating the game with new weapons and actually focused on the issues at hand before creating more as well as listening to feedback, a concept Blizzard has yet to grasp. But I assume they’ll get there eventually, if this game lives that long.

A bigger advantage I think TF2 has is it isn’t Valve’s primary cow to milk and experiment on anymore, so the devs that have willinging stayed on the game for over a decade have grown to care more about the game now that they aren’t pushed by marketing all the time anymore.

1 Like

Blizzard could do that but look at OW’s audience. They’re begging for more characters and game play based content. It’s only going to get messier.

Except tf2 regained a bunch of its player base. I don’t think overwatch is going to pull that.

1 Like

But see, here’s the interesting thing about that. Some games are balanced within their own imbalance(s). Sounds crazy right? But, it’s very much so a true thing.

Although an entirely different genre (fighting game), Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 was considered to be 1 of the champs of arcade fighters for that exact reason. And had a rather unusually long lifespan for a fighting game of its kind. In fact, it’s still heavily played today on a competitive level. And why is this? Because the game was balanced around its imbalance so. Sure, you had all types of ridiculous characters tiers and obvious favoritism. You even had infinite combos and loops. But, the game somehow managed to balance it all without problems. And that’s WITHOUT receiving updates! Imagine that. Playing a game with no DLC, and or patches. And thus was widely loved and accepted by the FGC for that exact reason.

Now, look at Overwatch. Notice something? The game is extremely unbalanced, and yet the devs keep trying to have the imbalances balance themselves. And clearly, it isn’t working. They don’t have the same elements and features that something like MVC2 had to balance itself. After all, we’re talking a fighting game and a half-assed FPS and MOBA hybrid. It just won’t work. But! Rather than address this, and properly rework things? The Overwatch team insists upon further breaking the game. Further causing imbalancing issues, and just making things worse for themselves and their player base. It’s beyond both obnoxious and ridiculous.

1 Like

TF2 even hit its all time peak of players online at the same time last year.

What about Mystery Deathmatch though? It’s fairly new and fresh
/s

Yeah, I thought there was a crazy amount of people playing it. I’m back playing on there.

New game. Even Fortnite hit pathetic 30k views total

Who would known people want to play / see new games :open_mouth:

Idk… 30 - 60 secounds is not that bad

Not gonna lie… I would sacrifice 1 hero release for new gamemode :smiley:

You mean the shi**y forced 2-2-2 that will kill the game right off the bat thing?

I love MVC2 I know all about it (played it since 00’) and I get your concept and how it applies with TF2. But even that wasn’t really balanced, it had a meta of the same dozen characters out of 56. Storm, Magneto, Cyclops etc. If that were happening in Overwatch it would be equivalent to the dive comp. You could do other things but why wouldn’t you take the easier or perceived better option?

in this game I see Goats, Semi-Dive and some other mishmash of compositions like pirate ship or other variants on these. I would say this game is letting people do a little more than those games.

1 Like

Lol, that’s easily 1 of the worst game modes I’ve ever seen. Back when I was still playing Overwatch, FFA DM had been what had kept my interest. But, upon making that trash apart of the weekly rotation? I just couldn’t anymore. I really couldn’t. Especially when mixed with the other problems I had/have with the game.

Hey now I’m sure we’ll get the summer game mode, if there was even one (LUL I’ve actually forgotten), and in it will be exactly last years event but hey there’s a hero or two who weren’t around then to play!

Ah, so you know what I’m talking about then. And n’ah, that game was more than just “Team MSS” (Mag/Storm/Sentinel). Cyclops was also not meta. Lol. Cyclops would be the equivalent to Soldier 76 or Genji. Meta would be what I listed above, and Dr. Doom and Cable added in somewhere in there.

But, there were other team combos which shined as well. You had: Strider/Doom/and the Knife Lady For chip damage teams. Iron Man/War Machine/Sentinel for mecha teams. You had Ryu/Ken/Akuma for Team Shoto. And so on. That game had/has a crazy wild assortment of effective team compositions. Even at the highest tiers of play. I’ve seen even people incorporate Servbot on the pro circuit. Lol. I kid you not. And just ruin people. Overwatch? Can only dream of having their imbalances balance themselves.

they are busy: OWL season 2. archives event. new map, new character all coming up. i’m sure they have better things to do that listen to people moan on the forums. game must be in a good state is even the people who say they hate the game still play it enough to complain on the forums about it.

It makes me wonder, if OW or any modern games didn’t receive changes frequently or at all like the old school fighters, if people would have developed new strategies or if the meta would shift anyway. I’ve always viewed it as regional differences with those picks, mainly the east/west coast and japan. But with online today it’s probably more common for people to gravitate toward the same things as they can see the top players pick.

Because of twitch alone, with no prior trailers or announcements, Apex Legends reached 2 million users the day it did it’s unexpected launch.

Every esports scene of any game depends on twitch as well, included the biggest one, League of Legends. Of course, there are also Chinese stream sites but these are infested with bots from what I have heard so the numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.

Liking it or not, when there is low audience on something, it should ring a bell. Blizzard’s games like Hearthstone and WoW are doing much better compared to Overwatch in terms of viewership while being way older. This shouldn’t be right.

2 Likes

Nah. Only in comp arcade.

People. Watch. Hearthstone. Seriously? What are they watching?

I’m not a game watcher, let’s start with that, but I can understand watching WoW (raids and pvp) or OW… But Hearthstone?

That’s definitely a play, not watch, game.

I wish I knew since I played only the tutorial so I am kinda clueless about HS gameplay but as a person who is using twitch every day instead of TV I can safely tell you that it pulls more views than Overwatch unless XQC is playing or there is a challenge for sprays.

Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised that a game like WoW or HS has greater popularity. I think games like those have a wider range of audiences. Maybe you guys have seen the Bartle personality chart where it graphs player types. I think a game like WoW offers a variety of content for a wider audience on that spectrum. As for HS, I think being playable on mobile, which is still a growing platform, has a potential for a huge audience.

I’m guilty of watching Magic The Gathering players doing drafts. I think I prefer watching than spending and buying packs lol