"Overwatch is doing well"

bUt owL HaS 150k VieWeRs Ow iS fiNe

there are a lot of games that are fun to play and they’re not fun to watch overwatch is one of them if you need more examples look at warframe insanely fun to play almost non-existent on twitch! and DE makes a ton of money off of plats

a multiplayer game is alive as long as you can play it!

1 Like

I am actually convinced that you are trolling.

nope
remember a game called lawbreakers? yeah me neither! it’s literally dead you can not find a game!
a game being dead means that people don’t want to play it and they don’t want to discuss it and since you’re here and i’m here overwatch is very much alive!
okay! hit me with your counter argument and let’s keep it alive!

1 Like

This video is dumb.

So urnotjustin says the problem is that the dev team doesn’t listen to the community… okay let’s tear that apart using his own video as an example of what’s wrong with that idea.

So he says Jeff and the devs should be fired and replaced. This, when there’s been a large outcry in the community this past week after Activision-Blizzard laid off over 800 employees.

WHO should Blizzard listen to, urnotjustin when he says everyone at Blizzard should be fired, or the community angry at the heartless corporate greed that led to so many people being fired and say it’s unfair?

This right here shows exactly why the devs don’t listen to the community: players have wildly different opinions, there’s no consensus.

When you have some players calling for Mercy revert while others say she’s in a great position but just needs tweaking, who should Blizzard listen to?

When some players say that the devs need to focus on cranking out more content, but then others complain whenever content comes out, who are they supposed to listen to?

When some people cry Overwatch is dead because it doesn’t have any Twitch views, but when OWL brings in high Twitch views people then say OWL is killing the game, who does Blizzard listen to?

The dev team has said this before, there isn’t just one blanket “community” in Overwatch, there are different pockets of people with different strongly held opinions. To the best of their ability they’ll try to please as many as possible, but they can’t satisfy everyone’s demands.

urnotjustin isn’t a representative of the community. He’s not a leader or curator of some homogeneous community consensus. He’s just a random bitter YouTuber complaining thoughtlessly into the void, tapping into other players brooding resentments who want to commiserate in misery and frustration. I can’t take it seriously, especially when he doesn’t speak for me.

1 Like

That explains bad balance, but doesn’t explain, how they still not fired…

Sure it does. Overwatch made over $1 billion in its first 10 months of launch. So, $70 million lost on Titan, plus probably (I don’t know), $30-$50 billion cost for Overwatch, for a total of around $120 million in all. And it makes almost 10x that in its first 10 months. Plus the Overwatch League was stated to be profitable for Season 1.

So, despite what we feel as players, Activision-Blizzard sees that Kaplan, Goodman, and the rest of Scooby Gang printed money for them. To the tune, even last year, that Activision-Blizzard could up the cost of the expansion team slots to $60 million per, for a total of $480 million additional investment between the 8 new teams.

Trust me, the Overwatch team isn’t going anywhere unless they choose to go to another project. So, this is what we’re stuck with if we want to play Overwatch. They made Activision-Blizzard bank, to the point I’m fairly sure the last two financial reports haven’t even put them in any jeopardy.

Yes, because 35 million active players across all Blizzard games really does reflect the 40, upwards of 50 million accounts that players who bought just this game.

LOL.
They’re not working on secret stuff. Sorry to burst that bubble.
Brig has a role (anti flanker). She needs to fullfill that role better and be less of a tank killer

well they’re talking about accounts and i haven’t played on my ps4 for over 2 yrs
and omg!!! how could a game lose 20% of their player base after 3 yrs???
some people left to play fortnite some left to play warframe some left to play apex personal taste is a huge factor in how many people play a game!

i can get behind that!

1 Like

I know Minty.
I know that post that you quoted.
Blizzard/Activision have no plans to release a NEW game in 2019.
So now Diablo 4, no crazy new games whatsoever.

They fired 800 people, meaning they’re cutting back costs rather than making new investments.

I think OW is going on ‘maintenance mode’.
releasing a couple skins every so often.
Maybe a new map… or a hero…

But nothing BIG or spectacular.
All we getting after 3 years are the same recycled events.
No new game modes or cool USEFUL features.
Absolutely nothing worth mentioning.

Balance patches take MONTHS, for real.
I mean… if you can’t see these signs and conclude the game is dying then you must be blinded by your love for OW.

Whenever someone says ‘‘TOP SECRET STUFF’’ it generally means they haven’t gotten a clue and just say its top secret to crease a hype only for everyone to be disappointed later on.

Mark my words.

2 Likes

we’re not talking about other games we’re talking about overwatch!

i mean it’s blizzard they take their time and even postpone every new release!

investments are risky in general
and those people were support staff it’s not like that’s gonna slow down
the development of overwatch!

honestly i don’t think this is how the development is right now but i’m not sure if it’ll stay (my version of) this way… game development is costly…

honestly i love the game the way that it is don’t get me wrong i do want more but overwatch at its core is sooo fun to play “boom you’re in a game 30 secs later boom action begins and it doesn’t stop”

rushing them out will upset the community remember the 3-4 days that bastion had 35% damage reduction yikes…

i do love overwatch i won’t deny that… i’ve been upset with the game since brig came out but i still love the game!

hmm… time’ll tell!

i’ll do you one better i’ll bookmark em :bookmark:

1 Like

You don’t seem to grasp the numbers.

35 million players who are active, across 5 major titles, and a few spin-offs.

When OW just sold 40-50 million copies.

And remember, this was a record year for them in terms of profits.

And what about those who were driven away from the game, via poor balance decisions, poor game mechanics, and poor post-release content?

Oh. and lets not forget the toxicity problem too?

If it was as simple as players leaving to find newer and fresher games, then why has LoL’s fanbase continually increase since it’s conception?

Or look at Siege?

You simply want to blissfully ignore the valid problems and complains that drove most of this fanbase away and apart.

2 Likes

Can’t help but feel like that screenshot was taken at a very flukey moment. Im regularly on Twitch and OW’s viewer count is almost always some where between the 20-30k region and is currently ranked seventh for average viewers, time watched, and a unified rating score, as well as ninth for average channels. (Stats found on the twitchtraker website for reference)

In fact, discounting the currently ongoing OWL, the amount of channels and viewers has fallen off very little from Jan 2017 (34’664 avg viewers) to the more recent Jan 2019 (30’269 avg viewers)

Compare this to other popular games like Fortnite which is already seeing a decline start to form to Apex which is already seeing it’s viewer count be almost halved from its peak (278k to 146k) in its first month.

The video comes off as a massive, ragey hissy fit. He even contradicts himself a few times in it. Yes, OW is flawed, and yes, there are problems, big problems even, but what we don’t need is some guy flying off the handle to be the figure head and voice of “reason” about the current “State of Overwatch”

In truth, most people enjoy the game still, and no, they don’t post here very often, know why? Cause they are too busy playing the game to complain. Cause they enjoy it. Maybe I’m lucky, but I’ve never ran into GOATS in comp, not once. Is it a problem? Yeah, sure, cause OWL is boring with it and I want to spice it up, but that doesnt for a second mean that OW is dying, nor does a screen grab of a rare low viewer count on Twitch.

Stop freaking out. This is mountains out of mole hills.

1 Like

THIS. Apex gained a lot of players because it has some features OW players have been begging for. Especially console players. We’ve been asking for a better communication system for years. Although the ping system may not work in OW, now all of the sudden they are talking about updating the communication wheel. Seems like quite a coincidence.

1 Like

Sounds like they are more busy searching for new ways to make money, than to fix their game. What kind of game developers are they?

3 Likes

Thing is… they invested HEAVILY in OWL.
Hell the ENTIRE GAME got balanced around OWL…
For OWL to be GOATS mostly is just super boring and an epic failure on the DEV Team to bring a diverse game to the table.

Sorry to say but they’ve failed.
Jeff needs to take responsibility and admit that and either step down or fix his team.

1 Like

all games decline in numbers over time

people disagreeing with their balance decisions doesn’t mean they were poor balance decisions. with every balance patch they’ve given you less reasons to rage quit! ok maybe i don’t agree with mccree and reaper changes but again that doesn’t mean they were poor balance changes!

i don’t know what games you’ve been playing but overwatch has the best, most fun and fair game mechanics in any game I’ve ever played 2cps excluded

i do want more content… but they’ve given us a lot already
8 new heroes, 15 new maps, elimination ,TDM, CTF, lucio ball, junkenstein’s, mei battle royale, saxton hale mode, 2 forgettable lore based pve modes, some comics and animated shorts (the last bastion is still the best btw!)

actually didn’t they recently announce the numbers aren’t going up for them anymore?

what’s siege?

im blissful ^U^
and yet you’re still here!

That’s the thing. I’ve played Blizzard games for 24 years (started in my 20s, I’m 46 now). They used to be a company that took their time on development, release, and support, Blizzard was known to be slow as all hell, but when they released the game, it was polished, good, and us players flocked to it. Hell, I would pre-order a game with the Blizzard logo on it without a second thought.

Not anymore.

Fast-forward, and Activision has assumed more and more control over Blizzard. Just Google it, there are enough articles about it. Including how Blizzard has been ordered to release more games faster because that is what the shareholders expect.

Blizzard, as I knew them as a long-term customer, is gone. They are firmly under the iron-fist of the Activision business model now. Overwatch shows that. The last several WoW expacs show that. They even had to admit in a Dev Stream shortly after launch that Battle for Azeroth had to release unfinished. They wanted more time on it and were told “no.” And that expansion is still a buggy mess with broken class specs, heading into the 8.1.5 patch.

It is only about how much money is made, now. The last two financial reports showed that Overwatch remained pretty much flat. It stopped really growing. Players across all Blizzard games dropped a couple of million between the two quarters, if I remember correctly. Overwatch League, however, was profitable for Season 1 per Activision-Blizzard. As long as OWL is profitable for Season 2, that’s the only thing I feel that Activision-Blizzard will care about. I don’t believe they care whether or not we’re happy with the state of the game. As long as we’re watching OWL and buying related merchandise. They have mega-corporations and billionaires (such as Robert Kraft and ComCast) investing tens-of-millions into the OWL per team. Those guys are their focus.