Overwatch, I'm walking out of this abusive relationship

1.) You don’t communicate.
I never hear from you. I’ve asked you numerous times to call or text when you want to make plans, but all I hear is silence or vague promises that never live up to my expectations.

2.) You don’t change.
Relationships evolve over time. I’ve put up with every quirk, annoyance, and outright lazy excuse you’ve come up with. I tried to help us grow into a long-term commitment, but it’s becoming increasingly obvious that you aren’t the one for me, because you are never going to change and improve sufficiently. It’s cliche, but often you “take one step forward and two steps back”. It’s not enough.

3.) It feels like the spark has gone out.
When we first started dating, you took me to exciting places and we met interesting people. You showed me some amazing things. Now that barely happens anymore – it feels like all there is now is new clothes and restaurants we’ve visited too many times. Do you even remember the last time we went to the movies together?

4.) You don’t give me enough agency.
Sometimes I’d like to make decisions for myself. But your world is one of control where supposedly I don’t know best. You cite statistics and assert logic arguments to back up your unilateral decisions, but it rarely turns out to be fun and enjoyable. I want to make my own choices, and there are plenty of others out there that are willing to provide that freedom.

5.) Frankly, you just seem kind of shallow nowadays.
At first I thought that your unique talents would keep me happy, but it often feels like this is nothing but an illusion you use to hide your faults. And, over time, even your strengths don’t seem as appealing as they used to. When I’m with you, the highs are oh so very high. But the lows are the lowest I’ve ever been. And those bad times are increasingly frequent. That’s your fault. I deserve better.

So I’m breaking up with you. I’ll still visit, but I don’t think we will ever get serious again unless you make a lot more effort to improve. I’m sorry it had to be this way, but it’s time I moved on and found somebody else to spend my time with. Somebody who appreciates me more. I don’t know who that is yet, but I’ll be on the lookout.

Alternatively:
1.) Blizzard doesn’t communicate with its audience nearly enough. Even before the recent radio silence, the general lack of communication with users throughout the game’s lifespan has been completely unacceptable.

2.) Overwatch is fundamentally the same game it was two years ago. Just with different balance decisions and different bugs. Heck, some day-one quirks and minor feature requests still haven’t been resolved. Quality of Life changes get put on the backburner for years and heroes have bugs for months. Poorly balanced heroes exist as overpowered monsters or underpowered throw picks that plague the game for months before getting “reworks” that often make that hero’s issues even worse. The pace of this game’s development is glacial, which leads us into item 3.

3.) The rate of new content is incredibly slow. I do not consider voice lines, sprays, skins, and rehashed events as meaningful content. New maps and heroes are introduced a couple times per year. Overwatch was designed to be a game with many heroes fulfilling different narrow roles – why aren’t we seeing a continuous stream of new heroes? The quality is meaningless if the quantity is unacceptably poor. On that note, where are the shorts? Where are the comics? Where is the lore?

4.) There is still no map filtering or other basic options for quick play, and even features like LFG actively punish players in quick play when they join groups of significantly lower skill. I can’t see MMR and Blizzard made profiles private by default, so it is difficult for me to ascertain this information until we are in a match and it is too late.

There is still no in-game scoreboard, there is still no persistent filtering for custom games, there is still no expanded avoid list (ignoring the fact that the same feature with a few changes was in the game day one), there is still no queuable skrim / pug mode with the competitive ruleset without SR ego BS involved, there has been no replacement for private profiles that communicate relevant hero choice information, there is still no in-game demo/replay system for personal use or professional game PoV demos (hello easy sell OWL pass feature), there is still no in-game spectating client. This list could probably go on for another paragraph or two if I kept thinking about it, but I believe my point has been made.

5.) Overwatch has great highs when everything works and you have a quality match… but the other 70% of the time, the game tends to have very low lows. The game is so reliant on teamwork and designed to minimize individual impact that the poor balance decisions and long development times don’t inspire confidence in Blizzard fixing it either. I’m not sure if Blizzard does not know who they are balancing for, and their arrogance forces them into iterative approaches instead of rolling back obvious missteps, but this has disappointed me for too long.

I’ll still play Overwatch casually, but I don’t think I’ll be spending too much time / effort on the game anymore. The payoff isn’t worth the frustration.

126 Likes

Yeah I don’t know how we used to get a bluepost like once every few days back in the day, but now its once every 2 months and only on trivial topics like ‘how does torb sleep with his claw arm’

Doesn’t Blizzard have a community manager, or admins on these forums? It would feel nice to get something from them on a regular basis, so we don’t feel like we have absentee parents

51 Likes

This one was really original, nice one!

9 Likes

Whats a community manager? I mean there are forums mods and what is clearly a forum admin and I guess that admin makes statements when the team accidentally launches the lucio emote for the OWL tokens but I am pretty sure we dont have a community manager to communicate with.

Huh. Community and Communicate have very similar spellings. Odd that.

3 Likes

The players are not on equal terms with Blizzard.
This “relationship” we are in is at best landlord and tenant.

The landlord offers up a space, the tenant claims that space. Yet when the bulk of the issues with in the building are due to who the tenant bring in, how they treat each other, what they do etc it’s not really the landlords problem or fault.

Landlords also don’t just socially mix with tenants. Calling them up to chit chat, talk about future plans and how the landlord will be spending millions of dollars on the building in the future. Why? It’s got next to nothing to do with the tenant. You paid, you get the space and that’s the end of the bargain really.

lack of agency or the spark has gone out? Oh so because a random tenant feels the landlord should replace the parking lot with green space and paint the wall green etc just means the landlord should do it? No, the tenant is only in the building at the whimsy of the Landlord, you’re not equals. You can get kicked out, told to leave and so on even if it might take a bit of legal blah blah to make it happen.

You’re not equals… one of the strangest things about the community here is thinking everyone is equal when it comes to the game and that’s not the case.

11 Likes

Comparing us to tenants and blizzard to landlords is a pretty bad comparison.

40 million of us have given them money for their game and on top of the the 7 billion or so dollars of lootbox money and then don’t forget the owl money.

But yea a lot of the issues are blizzard made and can only be fixed by them.

And they have all the money to fix it and the talent too.

11 Likes

So then maybe tenant/slumlord might be more suitable. The tenants paid and continue to pay, while the slumlords just reap the profits without really fixing any of the building’s problems, which are varied and numerous, or even acknowledging that the tenants have filled out multiple maintenance request forms.

1 Like

Community manager is someone in charge of being the bridge between devs and community, they talk back and forth and are the voice for the devs when the devs cant talk on here themself. They would be a common blue poster around forums very regularly to give Blizzard a presence on here

3 Likes

That lets you have access to the game world, as in the building and that’s about it. You’re acting like each of us paid huge money to be here, we did not, at all. In fact we are even lower than a tenant, we are more like random person in a hotel room, that’s how little we have paid into this when compared to the over all costs.

and exactly what are all these issues that blizzard made? The community whines about this, whines about that and pitches all sorts of mind numbing stupid idea. If this was a hotel the Mercy mains would be going “Look just fill the pool with Jello I don’t see why that’s such a problem!?! Just do it!! Just do it!!”.
Then someone else counter with wow they why can’t blizzard just do it, fill that pool with Jello. As if again, we are all equals here and that’s a “good idea” just because someone asked for it.

the bulk of this games problem have always been community based. Yes the patches take a bit too long to come out and that’s lame but other wise, it’s how we all play and treat other in game that’s the issue.
Throwing, smurfs, toxic issues, poor team comps, poor effort, lack of tanks/support, bad game play, one tricks, no one switching to what the team needs, leavers and so on. Those are ALL community issue. We, the tenants in this game world “building”, are 100% at fault for it.

I challenge anyone to make a list of community issue and true blizzard game world/balance problem and then with a straight face say the game world problems are the bigger issues.
Yeah they are annoying but the list of community problems are what is slowly strangling the fun out of this game.

2 Likes

Anything that is not automated and costs money is bad. And I am not blaming Activision for this.

All that just to take jabs at mercy mains? really?

also the list of community issues aren’t all soley the players faults as blizzard is at fault aswell for a number of them.

1 Like

no, everyone has stupid idea when it comes to balance. I’m sure some of my own in the past have been less then stellar even when I like to think I’m at least being objective about it.

If I wanted to take jabs at Mercy mains I would point out how they are kind of the crazy cat ladies (and men) of Overwatch. Take that how you will.

and I’ve long had a problem with people who push off personally responsibility onto rule enforcement. As if some how the lack of enforcement against a person doing something now means it’s someone else’s fault for that person’s personal actions.

So no, I don’t think of the community issues are truly Blizzard’s fault as they are in game actions fellow games should not being doing in the first place. Even if I will acknowledge Blizzard as a landlord has not put in enough effort, or in a timely manner, to help the community with some of the issue.

Like LFG should have been in game at launch or before comp was released. Reporting should have been in game sooner. We should have two voice channels by default, one for team and one for group. People should default to team chat, not stay group…

3 Likes

Excellent post!

I think I’ll also be looking to my new waifu in Fallout 76 when that arrives, but a summer fling with Forsaken will hold me over until then :wink:

1 Like

Well for more “stupid ideas” ( /s ) from mercy mains why don’t you go check this out.

2 Likes

psssst, the joke is we literally have someone with the job title called ‘community manager’ but it seems my understanding (and apparently yours) understanding of community manager vastly differ from Blizzards. Poor guy got stuck in a role thats little more than a forum admin and a mouth piece instead of an actual communicative link between “us” and “them” for the community.

1 Like

You say this while we have a big event next week where we are supposedly supposed to get some big new content changes, and probably why thier quiet right now

Haha interesting post. But I’m madly in love with Overwatch that i can’t bring myself to leave her, no matter what happen. She helped me when I was down, when I was alone in a cold and dark place she showed me hope. No matter how much she has changed, underneath she still has that same spirit,that same fire. Who would i’ll be if I leave her in her time of need. Not that she needs any of my help. But i’ll be be with her anyway, until her or my fire fades in to the darkness.

There’s no guarantee that there will be a wave of new content. And, for the sake of argument, assuming there is new content, that doesn’t make the pace of release acceptable. It’s still too slow.

If a game like Fortnite can release patches / skins / weapons / events / etc. every week or two, Blizzard could do that at half the speed and it would still be a massive improvement.

We have no idea what Blizzard’s plans are because they don’t communicate with us. We have no idea if the balance changes they decide to make will improve the game, because they refuse to go back on bad decisions and seemingly fail to understand the problems with the hero(es) they change.

We still don’t have very basic QoL features that a pub-star level scrub like me wants to help enhance the competitive aspects of the game and have been in almost every other shooter I’ve played (demos, in-game spectating for tournies, quick play map / mode filtering, etc.)

As I mentioned in my original post, there are games out there that treat players with more agency, offer better features, and have more consistent development roadmaps. And that’s why I’ll be looking for something new even if I still play OW casually.

2 Likes

Alexa…

3 Likes

You’ll both be better for it.