Overwatch frame drops

I tried what’s written here, and I’m not sure I did everything right, didn’t understand where to find the phyX thing.
Basically my problem is I get frame drops every time a big fight breaks, when there’s a lot happening, I can get as low as 10 fps. I’ve had this problem for a very long time (maybe a year even, not sure) and it wasn’t always like that. What do I do?

Hey, Meidan! Could you include a DxDiag file? Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
DxDiag Here
~~~

Do you want me to copy the text from the file, or is there a way to attach a file here?
Also, my OS is in Hebrew, so some of the text in the file may be in Hebrew as well, I hope it’s not an issue.

Hey there Meidan!

You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the DxDiag Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the DXDiag. It’ll look like this:

DXDiag goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

1 Like

I am currently having the same issue, for the past weeks since I bought the game, I was getting over 70fps even in team fights, but now when I do, I get as low as 10fps. I even have my settings all at low, but that doesn’t seem to help. I tried pasting my DxDiag in a reply, but I was unable to due to a character overcap, and even tried using Pastebin as well, but I’m unable to post links here.

It won’t let mepaste the text, since it’s too long.
pastebin (dot) com/z6EpUd1R

Hey Meidan, thanks for providing the file!

I noticed this is a laptop. To start off here I’d open up power settings in Windows first, then Nvidia GeForce (if it’s installed) to ensure there are no “power saver” options enabled. If power saver options are enabled, try disabling them to see if the behavior changes. Power settings are one of the most common causes of FPS problems.

I also noticed some benchmarking and cpu monitoring software. I did want to ask, are these installed to identify this issue or a different issue? How high do the CPU temps get while gaming? If possible post a screenshot of both CPU and GPU temps. We can help check them!

I already set it to maximum power use.
About the monitoring softwares, if you mean core temp it was installed by someone in dell support, and he said he did a test of the computer under stress and the temprature was ok. I called them because of that issue, but they said the reason is probably because of changes to the game itself.
Highest temp I hit is 84c (according to in game display)
My settings are already low, so I don’t know what else to do

Meidan,

Depending on what stress tests were run, it may not have stressed the PC in the same way a game does. We’re gonna need a bit more information to look into this in more detail. First up - exactly what are your FPS dropping to, and how frequently? When is it happening in game?

Other than that, why don’t we take a look and see what your PC is actually doing when you play? Grab hwmonitor and install it. Then, launch hwmonitor and play a game until you get a couple deep frame drops. Once it does, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

I hope I got everything right, that the max column in the program monitoring the heat, imgur(dot)com/P35RHH3

Meidan,

I can’t tell what those numbers reference unfortunately since you cut out everything on the left (it’s organized differently based on your PC) but it looks like something in there is getting crazy hot - probably your CPU if not your GPU as well. Can you clean the PC and retest? If it’s still having problems after that, let’s rerun that test. Can you get the WHOLE test for me next time? That’ll make sure we’re looking at the right numbers.

imgur(dot)com/a/AfkjS8L
imgur(dot)com/a/5qW4AWi
imgur(dot)com/a/DOPHdQj
Hopefully this works better

I used air spray to clean the fans a couple days ago, and I lowered my video settings a lot, but I still get frame drops sometimes on big fights

Your computer is very, very hot. Your CPU is reaching 100C occasionally (the max temp for that model), your onboard GPU is at 85C sometimes, and your GTX 1060 is reaching 85C. I think the performance decreases you’re experiencing are a direct result of reaching temperature thresholds and your computer throttling performance to prevent more heat and potential damage. If you’ve cleaned it out, I recommend buying a cooling pad for your laptop. If that solution doesn’t work, you may need to visit a PC technician to evaluate your hardware/fans/thermal paste.