Overwatch 5v5 might be the nail in the coffin

I focused on the DPS role because the OP also did so, but you’re right that the Tank player base getting halved is relatively a more plausible scenario.

Still not likely and I do agree with everyone who doesn’t have much faith left in the devs that they’re gonna be able to suddenly balance the Tank role properly…

Let’s just hope we’re all proven wrong.

Why make them do anything? The game was fine letting people play whatever they want. If you get meme’d by multiple torbs stacking turrets in a corner then you deserve to lose. And not being able to switch between tank, heals, or dps is a game killer for me.

Because it’s not what devs want to happen. They got certain “expected” way game should go, and do not tolerate too much deviation from their ideal gameplay.

If you think the current state of the game is “their ideal gameplay” then you never played this game at launch or watched any trailers/dev Q&As… >_> This was not their vision for the game.

They have a vision? I thought they were winging it since 2017?

Or more realistically, DPS gets more players as tank players leave for DPS, and a bunch of Tanks and Support players go off and PvE.

“while the Tank and Support player base will have to stay exactly the same.” - I think we will lose a LOT of Tank / Supports.

In part because you can’t pair up your Tanks as much, and Supports will be faced with even more Flankers, with less CC as defense.

Dropping amount of CC giving flankers more of an advantage, remove Tank Pairings, having one less tank to help defend Supports (in lowish ranks), and Placing in PvE (which will soak more Tank / Supports than DPS), and having fewer people for the DPS to focus on will make the Tank / Support players pretty damn thin on the ground.

Hell, I wouldn’t support in that mess, and you couldn’t pay me to tank in that.

I am pretty sure DPS queue times will get a LOT worse.

6 Likes

TLDR; to your TLDR;

• You have no faith in the devs and are making an awful lot of assumptions with zero information.

Don’t worry though! With the inevitable switch to 0/2/0, all of those problems will be solved!

In all seriousness though, tank queues used to be a lot better. They got progressively worse as blizzard made the tank experience worse by buffing damage, nerfing healing, and nerfing defense. Idk why they haven’t realized the way to benefit queue times is to make the tank experience better.

1 Like

They do not want to upset majority, which is DPS players.

The majority is not DPS players, or support players, or tank players. The majority is players who no longer play OW – that’s something like 50 million people, compared to the 10 million still playing.

Not if the game is balanced for 5v5… But hey, it’s Blizzard we’re talking about, so what you’re saying is very plausible.

Not necessarily. Even someone with absolutely minimal knowledge of game design would sugnificantly nerf high mobility heroes after rightfully removing so much CC from the game, so I guess Blizzard is smart enough to at least do this as well.

Also, we don’t yet have a word on how Support CC will be changed in OW2.

As if that’s a normal occurrence right now in lowish ranks lol…

How do you know that for sure?

How will that affect the Tank/Support population exactly?

I really don’t think so… The player base shifts that will need to happen would be too dramatic, but hey… Only time will tell.

Oh really?
Zarya double bubble anyone?
Sounds awesome.
I also like the idea of punching around 4 squishes.
I am the ultimate crushing machine!
So you better work around me if you wanna win, I’m an army of one.
LMAO solo tank is gonna be epic.

Which already paid for game and can be ignored with little to no consequences.

Sniperwatch. Calling it now.

Infinite dive, here we go.

More importantly, who is going to get used to 5v5 after playing 6v6 for nearly 6 years? I doubt everyone will be fine just like that.

If you played regular Overwatch and not it’s artificial coordinated version, you won’t notice almost any difference.

its going to be a worse version of paladins

In theory this is true when you make all the assumes that you did support your other assumptions.

I could do the exact same thing for the other side of the argument.

People need to understand that just because he brings a lot of words to the table that it’s still nothing more than an opinion and a theory.

Doesn’t mean you’re wrong… but it definitely doesn’t mean you’re right either

Tired of these my OPINION is FACT posts

Not true at all. Existing playerbase accounts for a lot of the money they bring in through cosmetics, OWL viewership, and other forms of support (buying alt accounts, upgrading an account, etc)

There’s a reason that games like Paladins can be very profitable despite having no entry cost.

Ignoring the existing playerbase ignores the untold millions the game has spent in advertising money to get them. It is INFINITELY better to keep a playerbase than trying to ditch one and get a new one.