Overwatch 2 vs overwatch 1

am i the only one who despises 90% of the things we have seen on ow2? the UI looks cheap, the changes and reworks are weird and annoying, the new push game mode looks complicated and clunky, etc. i was damn happy with ow1, sure it had some issues and i understand people like ow2, i just wish i was still able to continue playing ow1 as a seperate game. i feel like the game i love is burning and crashing with this ow2 release, but who knows, i guess time will tell.

30 Likes

It’s not out yet? What we see is not finished gameplay?

Some of the things you are saying you dislike seem to be “I hate change”.

Except if they just left it, I’m certain you and many other would be upset there is no content coming.

I would be willing to bet if they put this content in OW1 instead of OW2 you’d suddenly have liked it.

not at all lmao

100% not.

i would have been happy if they dropped ow2 and focused on content for ow1. for me its pick a poison; content dead ow1 that i know and love or the risk that ow2 is gonna be a whole different game that could turn out completely worse. and i know i would pick the former without hesitation.

plus this post was clearly asking to see if there were other people out there who thought like i did, i aint tryna get attacked for having opinions. and yeah i dont like change, and thats FINE and i dont know why im being pushed and told to suddenly be okay with my favourite game of 4 years being completely flipped upside down.

ik i cant do anything to stop ow2 from coming out, this was just a vent post and i sure as hell dont need people trying to debunk literal opinions, you know?

2 Likes
  • More story is always welcome
  • The PVE looks like loads of fun (And honestly it feels wrong to sum it up in one bullet point but oh well)
  • The reworks we’ve been shown look awesome
  • New sounds and graphics are crisp
  • New maps, an obvious plus
  • New heroes, another obvious plus
  • New modes, yet another obvious plus
  • Updated engine, more in-depth stats, potential features like a ping system… All pluses

So nah, I personally wouldn’t say I despise 90% of the things we’ve seen about OW2 :+1:

9 Likes

i honestly cant wait for new heroes, its one of the things im very excited ab in ow2 :muscle:t2:

1 Like

Issue for me there is that since last hero, we should have been given 3-4 new heroes already. By time ow2 releases, it should have been 5-6 with the average release rate ow1 had.

I dont think we’ll get that many with ow2 (if any at all on release), nor do I think it’ll be healthy for balance to release 5-6 at once on a whole reworked game. So even with new heroes, I’ll still think “would it not have been better if they just released them in ow1?”

1 Like

Same here though Push seems fine even if nothing to lose sleep over.

I don’t think the current OW will survive on its own though. If the PvE is solid I think most ppl will just move there to get away from smurfs and throwers.

3 Likes

I didn’t attack you
I just said half the things you said you “despise” aren’t finished yet? And you’re looking at the cake mix and saying “ew that’s a disgusting cake”.
When if they used the decorations for the cake on a similar one you’d probably have liked it.

It’s not an attack to discuss or oppose the opinion YOU put on a PUBLIC forum that exists FOR DISCUSSION.

But new heroes have nothing to do with ow2, tbh.

They could have dropped them for ow1, too.

They are purposely holding them back to make ow2 look better than it is.

I dislike the healing changes. Looks horrible.

10 Likes

yeah i agree with this tbh

No matter what they do, the balance at release will be a bit whack.
And if they released these 5-6 heroes for OW1, they’d then have to:

• deal with the limitations of an older engine limiting design for no apparent reason
  • redesign them, create an extra batch of skins just for OW2
  • rework them for 5v5
  • have even more heroes for OW2 because people will throw a fit if there is no new heroes in OW2
  • balancing the new heroes in OW1 wouldnt affect how whack OW2 balance will be at launch.

Not really though, given it’s all developed in a new engine that would mean downgrading them for OW1, only to have to do all of the above just to get them into OW2, delaying OW2.

It is not in fact basically stockholm syndrome…

There is extra content in the sequel. There is PvE, Push, new skins, redesigns, another unannounced mode, new heroes.
How about the UI upgrades? New graphics? New engine? new sounds?

If they add a new gun in Black Ops 3, nobody goes “we should’ve had this in Black Ops 2” because it’s been X years without an update to Black Ops 2.

Basically Stockholm syndrome.

Every piece of content we should have already received in ow1 has been held hostage from us because “ow2 is coming out!”, and it makes us think theres EXTRA exciting content awaiting us in ow2, when in reality its the content that we should have been given in the past couple years.

Had that content came out in ow1 rather than ow2, it would have not been as appealing. Basically an effect of “we give you nothing in ow1 so you’re used to zero content, so you can be even happier when we release this much in ow2”.

2 Likes

i literally dont care if its finished or not, i stated i dont like things we have seen on ow2 so far? and whats wrong with “looking at the cake mix and saying” its a gross cake. if i know i hate chocolate and the cake mix is based in chocolate its valid for me to say “oh i wont like it” :sob:

plus i told u already, i wouldnt have :+1:t2:

For the record, 5-6+ is very plausible for a number of reasons. To name a couple, various quotes from the devs and articles on different situations have suggested as such (For example, when Jeff talked about there being multiple supports and tanks, implying minimum 4 + at least 1 dps would make 5)

And then there’s the knowledge that maps and heroes take roughly the same amount of time to develop. Or at least that’s what the original release schedule seemed to indicate.
There are currently seven maps revealed with a load more coming. So personally I think 6+ is well within the realm of possibility.

That is one potential reason, sure. Can’t blame them.

Another could be story reasons, don’t wanna release a hero before their big story moment is revealed in the OW2 release cinematic or whatever.
Another is the fact that in order to get the effect of shaking the community up like a snow globe, they need a large amount of content dropped all at once. Unfortunately, releasing smaller amounts of content over a longer period of time doesn’t do that :slight_smile:
But possibly the biggest limitation, is that the new heroes are being built on the OW2 engine. As Jeff told us, releasing them now would only delay OW2.

1 Like

god the healing changes were just icing on the cake, as soon as i saw them my heart dropped and im praying the devs drop it

I thought so too, until the last stream. Not only they’re very early in the build, they didnt seem confident in the ability to even release new heroes by time owl comes back (8 months or less).

If ow2 will release another 6 months afterwards it’ll already be larger number than 5-6 heroes too.

Edit: Also, heroes balance and new heroes was definitely on the back burner. Maps are already all fully designed and out, push mode is already in place and I assume the pve is deep in progress (definitely deeper thanhero balance based on what we’ve seen).

They did everything prior to hero balance it seems as heroes have still very barely changed, so its not too risky to assume that they’re not going to release more than one new hero at release.

Im actually quite shocked that hero balance was like bottom of their priorities with 5v5 announcements, it looks like the feature thats earliest in the build.

2 Likes

Or they could have simply handled it this way:

• the PvE is OW2 and PvP/OW1 simply gets an engine upgrade (since they are working on it anyways for OW2)
  • PvP and PvE still share cosmetics
  • stay with 6v6 and not waste time on reworking everything for 5v5
  • add heroes and maps at the usual pace cause OW2 is the PvE content (holding back content with the sole purpose of making OW2 look like it has more content is just soooooo incredibly dumb and they are definitely not getting enough flack for it)

Overall a lot less work, no content drought for OW1, no OW2 launch balance nightmare that will continue for month to come and less confusion about what OW2 actually is supposed to be.

1 Like

Personally I didn’t see or hear anything that suggested they no longer seem confident to releasing heroes.
If you’re referring to Aaron’s comment, I wouldn’t think too far into it. He was clearly just trying to not give away too much information and commit to anything.

Hero balance would be one of the last things in the process, because it doesn’t require any of the foundation below it.

Got no idea where you’re getting new heroes “on the back burner” from though.

From what we know, they are still designing maps as we speak. Another new mode to replace 2CP has been in the works for a while now.

For what it’s worth, whenever the devs have talked about the OW2 heroes, it’s always been “heroes”. Plural.

And besides, I don’t think the OW2 story will work with literally just Sojourn as the only new playable character.

1 Like

I wouldnt be surprised if some heroes will be in story cutscenes and such and not yet playable.

The reason they are probably on back burner is due balance. New heroes affect balance the most, which is still very very very far from complete (unless their balance is just gonna be… bad, likely). Dropping 6 heroes into the mix when they’re still balancing another 32 is likely a tough ask in short time. Then again its blizzard, we know they release heroes at terribly broken states.

1 Like

this :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2: